What's new

Vintage Avon find

But have you tried it? Vinatge Avon is about the cheapest after shave you can buy and it is great stuff. Do you use any after shave? Many of Avon's scents are clones of other scents.

Some of the bottles are cool, but the real reason I buy them is for the aftershave. Buy that box for $10-$20 and you'd be set for after shave for a very, very long time.

Some scents are hard to find, and many of us would be happy to pay shipping to have you send some of them our way.

Went on a trip last week and found a bunch of Avon stuff. I didn't take pics of it all, but here are a few of the best ones.

First up is probably the coolest piece I have ever seen. The "Twenty Paces" set. It is 2 dueling pistols, each is filled with 3 oz of All Purpose Cologne. The set was from 1967-1969. I paid $10 for it, and it was totally worth it.
proxy.php

I totally agree with you: THOSE ARE THE COOLEST!

Great haul this time out! I've passed on an empty "World's Greatest Dad" in my area (are they all empty? Maybe this is one that frequently got used!), and have seen and wanted the "First Edition" book-bottles online, but am still hoping they'll show up in my scouting. The guy I was counting on didn't bring his stuff this weekend, and it was too hot to spend much time on the hunt. I'll see him the weekend after next.

Checked my local Catholic Charities thriftstore again today, found several different bottles of Wild Country which I already have. Pondered buying a bottle of Spicey, smelled just like Old Spice. Several different glass automobiles, all empty. I am always finding something in Avon aftershaves at this store but I do not have the space to store one of each so I am staying picky about which bottles I purchase.

These were taken at the local antuque mall near me today. I also picked up a candlestick phone of Leather for myself & a Liberty Bell Wildwoods for my Old Man.

proxy.php

proxy.php

That looks like a good booth, Bruce. I'd definitely handle (at least) several of those. Did your "candlestick phone" (a.k.a. "Avon Calling") decanter come with a separate Leather talc in the earpiece?

After passing on several over-priced and half empty or empty bottles lately i did snag these two. A Pot Belly stove full of Bravo AS and a Dutch Pipe that feels full or close to it of Tai Winds cologne. $2 for the Bravo and a $1.50 for the Tai Winds. The design on the pipe is really cool.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Good ones, Tom! I'm not sure how I feel about Bravo, but it's been awhile since I tried it on. That TW cologne is a real winner. I can't wait to play again on Saturday...should be a nice haul from my antiques guy at the monthly show.

I'm hoping he comes through big time for you. I kind of like the Bravo, but you're right the Tai Winds is good stuff. I have some of the AS but this is the first cologne I've found.

I'm hoping he comes through big time for you. I kind of like the Bravo, but you're right the Tai Winds is good stuff. I have some of the AS but this is the first cologne I've found.

I really like the looks of that Dutch Pipe Tom. I have the Tai Winds in both aftershave, and cologne varieties. I am not sure what it originally smelled like, but I don't think my sample smells exactly like it is described on basenotes:

Tai Winds was a lovely man's fragrance, composed of citrus, musk and subtle spice notes.

I don't get any citrus tones from either the aftershave, or cologne. The musk, and spice I can understand. I know cologne can turn if exposed to adverse conditions (like being left in constant sunlight for 30 years) but all of my Tai Winds came with the original boxes.

I am split on my thoughts about Tai Winds. It's a pleasant enough fragrance, but I am not really in love with it.

Last edited:
I don't get any citrus tones from either the aftershave, or cologne. The musk, and spice I can understand. I know cologne can turn if exposed to adverse conditions (like being left in constant sunlight for 30 years) but all of my Tai Winds came with the original boxes.

I am split on my thoughts about Tai Winds. It's a pleasant enough fragrance, but I am not really in love with it.

I pick up a grapefruit blast right on top. It's significantly modified by the strong musk and sweet woody base, but I couldn't miss it, myself. Like most citrus scent, it fades back pretty quickly.

I love Tai Winds. It is one of my favorites.

I've seen that dutch pipe, but the one I found was empty, and had no label.

Well, the promised haul didn't come together, again. My guy was busy resetting his booth, but cut me a nice deal on a blue Lady G and a 20-count Speedpak of Blue Blades. He's doing a sale at his house next weekend, so I should have access to his entire promised motherlode. Unwilling to leave empty-handed, I grabbed the following 3 items at another booth for $9.

• Avon Musk Marine Roll-on AP/Deo (current product)
  • "Coleman Lantern" 5oz Wild Country Cologne (85% full)
  • "First Class Male" 4oz Wild Country AS (100% full)

Attachments

• $avon_vintage_2011-08-06.jpg
    $avon_vintage_2011-08-06.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 244
  • Avon Musk Marine Roll-on AP/Deo (current product)
  • "Coleman Lantern" 5oz Wild Country Cologne (85% full)
  • "First Class Male" 4oz Wild Country AS (100% full)

Nice haul for the day!

I quite like the smell of Musk Marine. In fact I think Avon's current offerings for men are quite nice, and as a huge bonus they are very value priced as well. I currently have Mesmerize, Wild Country, Black Suede, and Black Suede Touch (which I guess would technically be considered vintage since it is discontinued).

I should also pick up Musk Marine, and the new Black Suede Leather at some point.

Top Bottom