What's new

Vintage Avon Chess set

I stumbled upon a lot of Vintage Avon Chess bottles of aftershave. They are about an hour from me and I am curious about the scents before I commit to going to get them. I've only used a couple of box store aftershaves and am currently using Crown Shaving aftershave that I picked up at my barber which I really enjoy so I a curious as to what these scents would be like. Thanks for the input.

The scents that they have are...
Wild Country
Spicy
Deep Woods
Oland
Blend #7
there are also two bottles of Hair/scalp conditioner and one bottle of Hair lotion

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Very nice scents, I use them a lot. One thing I would say is that they are generally plentiful and easy to find so I would not pay a lot for them. I love vintage Avon and consider it very under rated. Take a look at the Vintage Avon thread:

They almost have the full chess set. There are just a couple missing bottles but there are a couple duplicates so they still have 32 total. If I take them all they are $25 otherwise they are $1 a bottle. Seems like a steal to me but I have never bought any before.

Very nice scents, I use them a lot. One thing I would say is that they are generally plentiful and easy to find so I would not pay a lot for them. I love vintage Avon and consider it very under rated. Take a look at the Vintage Avon thread:

The problem with the set is the amber bottles have silver heads and the silver bottles have amber heads. You have to switch heads on all the bottles to have a silver side and an amber side. Plus you need an awfully big chessboard. The scents are fantastic, but most don't last too long. For $25 I'd take the whole kit and caboodle.

To my nose...

Wild Country- potent lavender-forward aromatic fougere
Spicy- Old Spice without the florals.
Deep Woods- damp green woody scent. nice, but short-lived.
Oland- ?
Blend #7- pungent anise opening. quickly dries down to smoky herbal, almost leathery.

YMMV
All good choices, IMO :thumbup:

I stumbled upon a lot of Vintage Avon Chess bottles of aftershave. They are about an hour from me and I am curious about the scents before I commit to going to get them. I've only used a couple of box store aftershaves and am currently using Crown Shaving aftershave that I picked up at my barber which I really enjoy so I a curious as to what these scents would be like. Thanks for the input.

The scents that they have are...
Wild Country
Spicy
Deep Woods
Oland
Blend #7
there are also two bottles of Hair/scalp conditioner and one bottle of Hair lotion
$25? Hey man, just grab 'em and fret about what the aftershaves are like later. I have all of those, not a pooch in the bunch, IMO. They are all "old school" which many B&B members prefer. Good chance you will approve also.

To my nose...

Wild Country- potent lavender-forward aromatic fougere
Spicy- Old Spice without the florals.
Deep Woods- damp green woody scent. nice, but short-lived.
Oland- ?
Blend #7- pungent anise opening. quickly dries down to smoky herbal, almost leathery.

YMMV
All good choices, IMO :thumbup:

Thanks for these descriptions. It certainly sounds like they are all scents that I will enjoy. The Blend #7 sounds a lot like the Crown Shaving aftershave I am using now. I am making plans to go pick them up tomorrow night.

There were several made usually the center of the board was marked with something like International Chess Assoc or such . I will dig mine out and post a pic.

They made two different designs. Both were made 1975-1976.
Avon Chess1.jpg
Avon Chess2.jpg

I saw a complete Avon chess set with board for $210 at an antique store over the weekend. I did not check to see if the bottles had juice in them, though.

Top Bottom