What's new

Calling all Avon experts...

I've bought a bunch of Avon aftershaves in local antique stores, getting some full bottles for as low as 2 bucks. One of my favorites is Avon Spicy of which I buy every bottle that I find, and currently have 5 or 6 bottles.

Recently, I bought a bottle shaped like a (American) football kicker's shoe. The bottle is plastic, which infused the AS with a tinge of a plastic smell, so I transferred it to glass and have been using it.

All to say: I no longer have the original bottle, so I *think* it is just regular ole Avon Spicy.

I've noticed it has a slight menthol kick, and thought Avon also made a "Brisk" menthol. So, my question:

Do both the Spicy and Brisk Spicy contain menthol, just to different amounts?...or am I mistaken about the "Brisk" version even existing?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
We seem to have slightly different Avon scents in the UK compared to the US. I have not seen or tried Brisk Spicy but I have owned Spicy in both aftershave and cologne form and detected no menthol in either. The only Avon scent I own which to my nose contains menthol is 4A's which seems to be quite rare.

20201211_204905.jpg

We seem to have slightly different Avon scents in the UK compared to the US. I have not seen or tried Brisk Spicy but I have owned Spicy in both aftershave and cologne form and detected no menthol in either. The only Avon scent I own which to my nose contains menthol is 4A's which seems to be quite rare.

View attachment 1645322

The one that I've been using definitely has some menthol, and I used it today after a head shave, which prompted this post.

It's a mild menthol that dissipates quickly after dry down, but it is definitely there. I'm not a huge fan of uber mentholated aftershaves, but find this one very nice. It's my goldilocks-level menthol - just right.

Still, I don't know if it's the Brisk version (if that, in fact, actually exists), because I no longer have the disgusting, offensive, aftershave-ruining, plastic bottle.

From basenotes.com

Avon Spicy after shave lotion began life as a spicy variant of the after shave lotion under the original "Avon for Men" line from the 1950's, but re-released several times when that line was replaced by separate masculine fragrance lines starting with Tribute for Men in 1963. Original Avon for Men was killed off with exception of the after shave lotions, re-dubbed "Original" and "Spicy", each with different bottle designs until eventually the original variety of the after shave was killed off too and the spicy flanker was relaunched in 1968. Going just as "Avon Spicy" in a round brown bottle, this after shave lotion ultimately had a 20+ year run and eventually was pumped out into numerous novelty decanters before finally being given the axe by the start of the 1980's. All variations are the same juice, and there was never a cologne of this, just after shave, talc, soaps, and shave cream. It was obviously and infamously one of two various attempts at emulating Shulton's Old Spice (1937), the other being called "Brisk Spice" and basically being a bit brighter and coming in an actual fragrance format.

Avon Spicy is nothing more and nothing less than an after shave. It's a damned good one though, as it has the mentholated "cooling" effect on skin without the menthol fragrance note of Mennen's Skin Bracer (1931), or at least it's buried beneath spice and not noticeable. The rest of the scent follows pretty closely to vintage Old Spice, with clove, spice, vanilla, amber, but not as much bright florals in the opening. It goes on with a bit of an alcohol smell at first, but once the "spicy" elements kick in, it smooths out and lasts maybe an hour or two at most before disappearing. It layers really well with actual Old Spice, or if you want to stay within Avon from the period you can follow with Avon Leather (1966), even though that had it's own after shave as well. I quite enjoy this when I want the smell of an Old Spice-type product after a wet shave, but don't want to wear Old Spice. Avon Spicy after shave lotion is light, cools and soothes, then imparts a nice warmth of aroma that only sticks around long enough to segway into a more serious day wear scent of choice. It's absolutely perfect for what it is, an uncomplicated masculine after shave, and that's rarer than you might think.

Avon Spicy is not going to impress a person looking for original long-lost vintage masculine fragrance. It was Avon's first plagarism of a popular trope that fortunately wasn't marketed as a new and unique idea like so many of their later copycat scents, and wasn't even technically marketed as a fragrance in it's own right, but a practical-use product with a popular smell enjoyed by many guys of the day. In that regard, it's no different than any other more-recent barbershop homage shaving toiletries, it just has 60 years on the current competition and sadly is long-discontinued. Luckily, it's active ingredients don't really spoil and it will still cool and sooth skin after a shave, arguably better than anything newer I've tried save maybe a balm-type (which I find too heavy to be honest). So much was sold for so long and in so many different formats that it will be years yet before it's completely extinct, so with a bit of online hunting, you too can shave like the husband of an Avon lady from the 1950's/60's! Finding a non-decorative bottle may be difficult, but even an empty one if located can be refilled with product from X or Y decanter, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Jan 17, 2018

Some of the football themed ones had “bracing lotion”
I never found or smelled it so I can’t comment whether it was like their Spicy.?..

Attachments

• IMG_0176.png
    IMG_0176.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
From basenotes.com

Avon Spicy after shave lotion began life as a spicy variant of the after shave lotion under the original "Avon for Men" line from the 1950's, but re-released several times when that line was replaced by separate masculine fragrance lines starting with Tribute for Men in 1963. Original Avon for Men was killed off with exception of the after shave lotions, re-dubbed "Original" and "Spicy", each with different bottle designs until eventually the original variety of the after shave was killed off too and the spicy flanker was relaunched in 1968. Going just as "Avon Spicy" in a round brown bottle, this after shave lotion ultimately had a 20+ year run and eventually was pumped out into numerous novelty decanters before finally being given the axe by the start of the 1980's. All variations are the same juice, and there was never a cologne of this, just after shave, talc, soaps, and shave cream. It was obviously and infamously one of two various attempts at emulating Shulton's Old Spice (1937), the other being called "Brisk Spice" and basically being a bit brighter and coming in an actual fragrance format.

Avon Spicy is nothing more and nothing less than an after shave. It's a damned good one though, as it has the mentholated "cooling" effect on skin without the menthol fragrance note of Mennen's Skin Bracer (1931), or at least it's buried beneath spice and not noticeable. The rest of the scent follows pretty closely to vintage Old Spice, with clove, spice, vanilla, amber, but not as much bright florals in the opening. It goes on with a bit of an alcohol smell at first, but once the "spicy" elements kick in, it smooths out and lasts maybe an hour or two at most before disappearing. It layers really well with actual Old Spice, or if you want to stay within Avon from the period you can follow with Avon Leather (1966), even though that had it's own after shave as well. I quite enjoy this when I want the smell of an Old Spice-type product after a wet shave, but don't want to wear Old Spice. Avon Spicy after shave lotion is light, cools and soothes, then imparts a nice warmth of aroma that only sticks around long enough to segway into a more serious day wear scent of choice. It's absolutely perfect for what it is, an uncomplicated masculine after shave, and that's rarer than you might think.

Avon Spicy is not going to impress a person looking for original long-lost vintage masculine fragrance. It was Avon's first plagarism of a popular trope that fortunately wasn't marketed as a new and unique idea like so many of their later copycat scents, and wasn't even technically marketed as a fragrance in it's own right, but a practical-use product with a popular smell enjoyed by many guys of the day. In that regard, it's no different than any other more-recent barbershop homage shaving toiletries, it just has 60 years on the current competition and sadly is long-discontinued. Luckily, it's active ingredients don't really spoil and it will still cool and sooth skin after a shave, arguably better than anything newer I've tried save maybe a balm-type (which I find too heavy to be honest). So much was sold for so long and in so many different formats that it will be years yet before it's completely extinct, so with a bit of online hunting, you too can shave like the husband of an Avon lady from the 1950's/60's! Finding a non-decorative bottle may be difficult, but even an empty one if located can be refilled with product from X or Y decanter, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Jan 17, 2018

Ask, and you shall receive. Thanks.

As I suspected both versions have menthol.

Is that yours?...I'm jealous.

This is the bottle, the plastic football shoe. After decades of sitting on a shelf the AS picked up a distinct plastic "note". I transferred it to a glass bottle and have used nearly all of it. The polymer note dissipates very quickly, so my wife never confuses me with a Ken doll.

Stolen Ebay pic:

20230427_160105.jpg

Top Bottom