What's new

Using Electric Pre-Shave as an After Shave

I’ve read a few posts over the years about folks asking about using an Electric Pre-Shave lotion as an after shave. Usually after they spot Williams Lectric Shave at the store. Most times they get shot down by folks convincing them they shouldn’t, for one reason or another. A few persisted and tried. I’ve been curious about this myself and have ‘almost’ picked up a bottle of Lectric Shave on impulse, several times.

Well, I recently found a bottle of Avon Electric Pre-Shave lotion at an antique store and on a whim, tried it as an aftershave. I was very pleasantly surprised. The scent was great, light and refreshing. And the post shave feel was amazing. It was heavier than a typical aftershave, not greasy or oily, but similar to an aftershave with a decent amount of glycerin in it. This is definitely a nice alternative for those days when you have a rough shave and want something with a bit more hydrating & healing feeling than a typical ABAS. On those days, I usually gravitate towards balms, but since I prefer splashes, this could easily replace balms for that use.

Then, given my successful use of Avon’s product, I decided to go ahead and try out Williams Lectric Shave to see if I would get similar results. To me, the scent of Lectric Shave is very similar to original Irish Spring bar soap, which I like. The Lectric shave is much heavier, and more oily feeling than the Avon. Less is more when using Lectric Shave. Once the alcohol evaporates, you are left with a slight oily feel on your skin, which as long as you don’t go crazy with the application, isn’t too bad. I still like the fact that it leaves my face feeling soft and hydrated. The added Green Tea Extract is good for healing too (and probably why it feels extra oily).

Now if we look at the ingredients and compare them, we can see that the Avon and Williams products are very similar, and not much different from aftershave.

Avon Electric Pre-Shave Lotion
SD Alcohol 40 B, Diisopropyl Adipate, Water, Diethyl Phthalate (some bottles lack this ingredient), Fragrance, Benzophenone-11, Color

Williams Lectric Shave
SD Alcohol 40 B, Isopropyl Myristate, Water, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Fragrance, Benzophenone 1, Trisodium EDTA, Green 5, Yellow 10 Aluminum Lake (CI 47005), Orange 4

When you break down the formulas they are essentially: alcohol, lubricant, water, fragrance, preservative, and color. Compare that to Aqua Velva (below), and the breakdown is about the same.

*Diisopropyl Adipate & Isopropyl Myristate (bolded above) are both ingredients that act as a lubricant on the skin's surface, to give it a soft and smooth appearance. That’s pretty much like the glycerin in an aftershave, but I think they are a bit heavier/thicker.

Aqua Velva
SD Alcohol 40, Water, Glycerin, Fragrance, Menthol, Benzophenone 1, Ext D&C Violet 2 (CI 60730), FD&C Blue 1 (CI 42090).

So, has anyone else used an Electric Pre-Shave lotion as an aftershave? What were your results? Have you tried any other brands?

If you haven’t tried it, but were curious, I say go for it. Just be a bit cautious on the amount you use. I go to town with aftershave splashes, filling my palm with them. Especially with Williams Lectric Shave, that’d be far too much. Start with a few drops and see if you need to add more from there.

From ages 14 - 17, I shaved using a cheap Remington, which - once I was past peach fuzz - shaved so dreadfully I tried every conceivable pre-shave aid to help ease the suffering. Chief among these was Lectric Shave. I didn't like it at all in its own right (it didn't help that I was using the unscented version, which allowed the chemical aroma to shine in all its unalloyed glory), but it seemed to make the drudgery ever so slightly less drudgerous. I haven't picked up a bottle since I graduated to a blade a few months shy of adulthood, and I can't foresee that I ever would want to.

Tramuatic memories aside, my recollection is that Lectric Shave was as you've found, which is to say fairly oily feeling - not like a pre-shave oil, but more like a light, slightly greasy feeling. If you like it, knock yourself out. Personally, I don't see that it would make for an aftershave I would like, and with so many good aftershaves out there, I really don't see the point. But hey, I admire your adventurous spirit of experimentation.

I used Williams Lectric Shave again today, but not as much as before. Just a few drops this time. Perfect coverage. And now almost 2 hours after my shave my skin feels great. I'd say even better than it normally does.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Interesting as this is something that I always see at the pharmacy, grocery, supermarket, pretty much anywhere where they stock a small pharmacy. It's up there with Brut, Old Spice and Aqua Velva on the shelves. I don't see Mennen Skin Bracer that often around here.

Anyways, would you say that if you apply too much you get a greasy feeling? I've been curious about this one but not quite ready to get one. I believe there are 2 that I see, a green one and a light blue one. Reading the ingredients, it was the green AS?

Anyways, would you say that if you apply too much you get a greasy feeling?
Yes, it is greasy feeling if you use too much. Odd, since it doesn't feel heavy or thick initially, but once the alcohol evaporates, you are left with the oils and moisturizers. Used in moderation it's great.

I believe there are 2 that I see, a green one and a light blue one.
In the US, we only have the original green. In Canada you guys also have the Ice Blue version. (Lucky!)

Luc

Staff member
Yes, it is greasy feeling if you use too much. Odd, since it doesn't feel heavy or thick initially, but once the alcohol evaporates, you are left with the oils and moisturizers. Used in moderation it's great.

In the US, we only have the original green. In Canada you guys also have the Ice Blue version. (Lucky!)

Yes, I stole the generic pictures from a Canadian Pharmacy (shame on me). Interestingly enough, I can't find the ingredient list of the ice blue version. I may need to snap a picture next time I go out.

It sounds like this could be a good base for a bit of mixology...

Attachments

• $combe-williams-lectric-shave-electric-razor-pre-shave-ice-blue-210-ml-600x600.jpg
    $combe-williams-lectric-shave-electric-razor-pre-shave-ice-blue-210-ml-600x600.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 158
  • $combe-williams-lectric-shave-electric-razor-pre-shave-regular-210-ml-600x600.jpg
    $combe-williams-lectric-shave-electric-razor-pre-shave-regular-210-ml-600x600.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 156
Interesting post. I have an old bottle of Lectric Shave in the medicine cabinet. A relic from being gifted with an electric razor many years ago (I use it to shave my neck). I'll have to give it a post-shave test.

By the way, has anyone used Lectric Shave as a pre-shave to wet shaving?

Interestingly enough, I can't find the ingredient list of the ice blue version.
Found this on Amazon.ca
SD Alcohol 40 B, Water, Isopropyl Myristate, Fragrance, Green 5, Blue 1, Red 33.

Oddly, no mention of Menthol, which I expected. Maybe it's considered a "fragrance". With not having the tee tree extracts, I'm curious if it would be less greasy. This is one I'd sure like to try.

It sounds like this could be a good base for a bit of mixology...
I like the way you're thinking!

By the way, has anyone used Lectric Shave as a pre-shave to wet shaving?
I haven't. I thought about it, but I never use a preshave anyway. But the way it feels, it might make a good preshave for the manual razor as well! Try it and see... and report back!

Interesting thread. I used Williams but obviously from the comments used too much of it: it felt too greasy for me. I still have the bottle left and will try using less and see how it works.

Luc

Staff member
It may be like Booster Aftershaves. Where I see "Iced Lime", I expect menthol, where I see "Polar Ice", I expect menthol. Oddly enough, no menthol...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
No, I haven't; but it's definitely interesting- the chemical breakdown ... it is one of the few consistent products on the chain-store shelves; they must sell a bunch of it.

I'd go back to a cart before an electric; they give you zits and ingrown hairs in addition to the discomfort and actual bad shave. I only used a Norelco (at first) 'cause Dad did.

AA

So, has anyone else used an Electric Pre-Shave lotion as an aftershave? What were your results? Have you tried any other brands?

Not I, but I have 2; William's and one by Clinique. The reason being I bought an electric razor to get at those 'almost impossible to get at' stray hairs on my neck. I'll try what I have and if I can add anything I'll post my results. I've still not used that electric.

I used to use it with an electric, but never liked the feel of it on my face and could not wait to wash it off - too greasy. It sounds like using a very small amount does the trick for you. I recently dumped what little I had left over of mine...

I tried Lectric Shave as an electric pre-shave, but found it didn't work as advertised. I like the smell and use it as an aftershave. I like the feel except that it does leave a slightly oily residue that lingers. I have it in current rotation, but likely won't get any more once I use it all.

I wonder if this would be a good option for Minnesota winters. You need a bit of extra moisturizing during the furnace/arctic blast months here.

Top Bottom