What's new

Upgrade my brush.

Right now I use Omega 10098. It's all I ever used. It kind of annoys me that the hairs are really long. It makes face lathers messy. And while I do like some coarseness, the bristles are a bit rough and strawy.

I want a new brush. But I want this new brush to be so good that its the last brush I buy for the next 10+ years.

So, ideally, I'd like a brush that's mostly smooth, but with a little bit of roughness too. A brush that's not too heavy but not too light either. A brush that has short to medium length hair. A brush where the hair moves and bends freely but it still has a little bit of a firmness to it.

I want a 10/10 amazing brush. My budget is very flexible. I'd spend $100-150 to get an amazing brush, but if there's a brush that's a 10/10 for a much lower price, I would prefer that.

A Simpsons in pure badger would be tough to beat IMO. Handle choice knot size your preference. I have said many times if I was only allowed one my colonel x2l would probably be it. Well within your budget BTW.

From your descriptions, it sounds like you need a good 2-band brush and with your price range you should be able to get a very good one.
Shavemac 2-band silvertip is pound for pound probably the best all around hair available. But you like a little rougher so you might check out their DO-1 2-band silvertip or 3-band. Also you could do a Rudy Vey shavemac (just look him up, he one of the best). Shavemacs are a 10/10.
Sounds like a Simpson in Best or Manchurian would be perfect for you. Manchurian is very expensive though. So i say a brush in Best. According to what size you like, a Duke 3 or a Chubby 1,2,or 3 in Best sounds perfect for you. They are short lofted, soft but not too soft, and the hair moves freely but they are so dense that they have good backbone, and or firmness. Simpson in Best is also a 10/10. There is lots of good info on them on here.

There is lots of good other brush makers out there rhough if those dont float you boat.

Try a Fine 'Stout' 24mm synthetic brush. I reach for it over lots of my more expensive badgers on a regular basis... The 'Stout' has good backbone and soft tips and feels nice on the face... Mr. Fine's website has good soaps and aftershaves and other stuff, too..

I have a Simpson m7 manchurian that's a great brush, but a bit on the small side for me, does the trick, but I like to have a bit more lather in reserve if needed. I missed out on the last paladin release and decided to ask Rudy Vey to make me a brush, I'm going with the two band shavemac. When it's done I'll be able to compare the two.

Option 1: try to get a Paladin and trust Ken will deliver the right brush for you

Option 2: order the right Shavemac knot for yourself and let an artisan set it in the handle you want

Option 1 is great, if you don't know much about badgers - Ken makes some beautiful brushes and they deliver - he got me hooked on badgers. The problem is they are not easy to get and you have to be patient.

Option 2 is great if you do your homework - but it is taxing as there are so many options out there. Shavemac has 6 different types of hair - each in fan, bulb and flat and you can have them from 18 - 30 mm with any loft you like.

And then the handle makers: Doug Korn, Rudy Vey, Nathan Clark, Wolf Whiskers...which rod stock to choose, which handle type, a bit bigger or smaller...I see many sleepless nights - especially if it is the only brush you get in the next 10 years :lol:

BUT it is definitely worth it!

Paladin:
proxy.php

Doug Korn (with Epsilon 2-band knot)
proxy.php

Nathan Clark (with Envy White knot)
proxy.php

Rudy Vey (with Shavemac Knot)
proxy.php

The current Badger farm
proxy.php

Try the Omega 10049, it has a slightly smaller knot and a shorter loft. I think the 10098 has the longest loft in the Omega line, so pretty much any other Omega boar will have a shorter loft. I love my 10098, it was my favorite brush until I got a RazoRock synthetic. You can get them for 10 or 12 dollars, depending on the handle. I got the barber handled model, I broke the bank at 12 dollars.
There is no prefect brush, trust me, lol.

Option 1: try to get a Paladin and trust Ken will deliver the right brush for you

Option 2: order the right Shavemac knot for yourself and let an artisan set it in the handle you want

The current Badger farm
proxy.php
OP: Very solid advice here!
[MENTION=59691]alfredus[/MENTION] : :001_smile

I would look over Semogue brushes. Badger or boar, they have what you're looking for. I love my Semogue Owners Club boar in cherry, 830, 1800, and 1305. It simply depends on what you're looking for in your new brush. I would consider the Semogue 1800 from what you've listed, honestly.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
You are describing a Simpson Duke in Best. Duke 2 or 3 should fit the bill

This is what immediately came to mind.

Option 2 is not bad either, but those Paladins are something else.

My preference is badger. For me the pure grade is unpleasant, but YMMV. There are a ton of good options in your price range.

My preference is to face lather hard soaps and I like Simpson's best badger. I currently have a Chubby, Duke, Classic and 57.

In addition I have a Muhle and an old blond boar. The main thing is to have fun!

I went with Semogue 620. It got great reviews on Amazon, Youtube and several shaving forums. It will take some time to break in, but I don't mind that.

I think 620 meets the criteria I mentioned above. Good face lather. Medium height bristles. Soft, but also with a little coarseness.

I went with Semogue 620. It got great reviews on Amazon, Youtube and several shaving forums. It will take some time to break in, but I don't mind that.

I think 620 meets the criteria I mentioned above. Good face lather. Medium height bristles. Soft, but also with a little coarseness.

I've also had this one on my radar. The red handled one in particular. Keep us posted on your impressions.

Semogue 620 is a good brush.

If you decide to try badger, I would recommend either a Simpson Duke 3 or a Shavemac 2-band Silvertip.

A Simpsons in pure badger would be tough to beat IMO. Handle choice knot size your preference. I have said many times if I was only allowed one my colonel x2l would probably be it. Well within your budget BTW.

This is exactly the brush I was thinking of when I read the OP description of what he wanted. Great brush at a great price. Very nice backbone and full knot.

I've never had shedding issues with mine.

Top Bottom