What's new

unused shave cream

Start by saying I'm using triple milled hard tallow soaps.

I've been using fewer passes in the last few years.
So I've ended up with a lot more shave cream left over in my bowl.

So...
Can i just leave it in the whipping bowl,
or put it back on top of the hard puck,
or do I just need to flush it?

Also....
Just how clean do I need to get my shave brush?
I use a boor brush and wonder about the same related to the above question.
Why totally clean the brush does letting it dry with some lather hurt the brush?
Am I wasting soap for no reason?

Thanks all,
Curt

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I don’t keep excess soap and I always have excess soap. I load heavy, face lather and usually do a single pass. I have no interest in saving any of the days soap, but I have a lot (too much).I guess if you were using a single soap in a shaving bowl, that could be an option, just not my setup. I also thoroughly wash and dry my brush after every shave, again, enjoying a different brush daily. Not sure if it benefits the brush, just a routine I’ve adopted. I can say I left a Col. Conk boar encased in dry soap for a decade to no I’ll effects.

I have leftover lather in my bowl right now and it contains leftovers from several days. I have been doing this for years without much trouble, but sometimes it gets out of hand. I don't love mixing soaps and at some point I will get fed up and rinse the bowl. The one thing to keep in mind, as the soap dries it's going to get very flaky and could mostly be wiped out when dry. Further, it's hard to re wet it without sending some of it flying. Do what works for you, there is no problem doing this!

The issue with not removing all lather in the brush is that when it dries, it will build up in the knot and won't necessarily come out in the next use. I talked to a brush maker on the phone and told me the number one reason for warranty repairs was the user not maintaining their brush. It will damage the knot and eventually the hair will fall out. Also, a dirty knot will resist lathering at some point, that is why there are commercial brush cleaning products available.

In older times, many people did just have one old boar brush and rinsed it out every now and then. These brushes lived hard lives.

It's better to have at least two brushes and rinse the soap out thoroughly. Rotate the brushes so each has a chance to dry out.

IMHO, soap is pretty cheap. Make a bit less lather if you want to economize. Rinse your equipment to keep it neat and hygienic.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My extra goes down the drain, but get as creative as you like. The brush, on the other hand, needs to be completely cleaned of all soap - unless you don't particularly like the brush (when the hair starts falling out from all the soap scum you left in the knot you can get a new one).

After I've loaded my brush, I use my had to scoop up the remaining lather from the top of the puck,
then I add it to the bowl.

Start by saying I'm using triple milled hard tallow soaps.

I've been using fewer passes in the last few years.
So I've ended up with a lot more shave cream left over in my bowl.

So...
Can i just leave it in the whipping bowl,
or put it back on top of the hard puck,
or do I just need to flush it?

Also....
Just how clean do I need to get my shave brush?
I use a boor brush and wonder about the same related to the above question.
Why totally clean the brush does letting it dry with some lather hurt the brush?
Am I wasting soap for no reason?

Thanks all,
Curt
I face lather so will just comment on the brush. Do rinse it thoroughly after each shave. I repeatedly rinse until the water is clear of any soap residue. This has kept my two synthetic and one boar brushes in great shape with no additional maintenance needed over up to four years of use. Also over time residual soap scum can cause the brush knot to deteriorate to the point where the knot falls out.

Recommend alternating with a second brush to allow full drying after each use. By boar brush needs two days to dry.

I have leftover lather in my bowl right now and it contains leftovers from several days. I have been doing this for years without much trouble, but sometimes it gets out of hand. I don't love mixing soaps and at some point I will get fed up and rinse the bowl. The one thing to keep in mind, as the soap dries it's going to get very flaky and could mostly be wiped out when dry. Further, it's hard to re wet it without sending some of it flying. Do what works for you, there is no problem doing this!

The issue with not removing all lather in the brush is that when it dries, it will build up in the knot and won't necessarily come out in the next use. I talked to a brush maker on the phone and told me the number one reason for warranty repairs was the user not maintaining their brush. It will damage the knot and eventually the hair will fall out. Also, a dirty knot will resist lathering at some point, that is why there are commercial brush cleaning products available.
You are right on regarding brush cleaning - Just posted something similar.

You can leave the leftover lather in the bowl - eventually it will leave on its own to explore the surrounding area. There's a 1950's movie regarding this (see attachment). 🤣

Attachments

• Blob.jpg
    Blob.jpg
    918.8 KB · Views: 4
I usually leave the excess soap behind in the mug. It is usually dry by the next morning. Some soaps dry so that all it leave behind is a slight discoloration on the puck. Others shrink down and become a little crusty. For me, leaving the soap behind in the mug makes it easier to lather next time as it stays a little better hydrated. If it starts to get a little soupy, I'll leave that one alone without a lid on it for a few days while it hardens up a bit. Anyway, that's what works for me.

Top Bottom