What's new

Unfamiliar Ever Ready razor on the way

Just acquired this as part of a two-razor deal. (The other, which I was after, is a pre-war fat-handled Tech.) Don't know anything about the ER. I'm wondering what age is it and how easy to get blades? Love the handle. Reminds me of the Merkur 41C - though I believe this is aluminum.
everready.jpg

(Possible whoops?) Should I have posted this is the new acquision thread? If so, sorry. Bit new here. Maybe mods can move.

I've found on sale in UK

Personna Single Edge Blades x 100​

Description reads "Personna 61-0045 industrial standard single edge blades". Carbon steel.

Would these work? Would think Personna blades should be decent, but are they intended for face shaving?

Ever Ready 1912, as already suggested. These are pretty common in the UK (they are the only GEM model that is) and still relatively cheap on eBay. I have had a few.

The English version is a bit more heavy duty and aggressive than the equivalent US made razor. It's an interesting shaving experience, in that it's much more "blade on a stick" than a typical DE razor. Take a couple of shaves to dial in but once you do they are great. I ordered another GEM model from the USA at great expense to try it out but honestly the 1912 is a better shaver for me.

I haven't used mine for a while, but I wouldn't want to be without one!

The razor looks like an Ever Ready 1912, probably made in the 1940s. My advice is to use the Personna GEM PTFE coated blades from Connaught Shaving.

View attachment 1813314

Use the razor like this:

View attachment 1813315

Good luck, it is a very nice razor.
Totally sound advice there…..
I have a few of these razors in varying models and those blades are great in them.
When I’m done shaving with them they can be re used in a paint / window scraping tool. Still perfectly good for that.
Dual purpose 😀

Thanks guys. Wonderful response as always here. I've been off researching, and yes I see the blades I reference above were more the paint-scraping variety! I found the Personna GEM blade (stainless steel, PTFE coated) on sale in UK at "Connaught Shaving Part of Suffolk Supplies". So I'll be getting some of those. They must be better than the antiques some of the YouTubers are shaving with.

I was really bidding on a Tech, and I kind of bought this Ever Ready by accident. But I'm getting quite excited to try it now!

I've found on sale in UK

Personna Single Edge Blades x 100​

Description reads "Personna 61-0045 industrial standard single edge blades". Carbon steel.

Would these work? Would think Personna blades should be decent, but are they intended for face shaving?
"Industrial standard"? Sounds like scraper blades to me. Your face will not thank you.

@EclipseRedRing's advice is spot on. Go with them and Connaught.

But I'm getting quite excited to try it now!
It's a fun razor, efficient when you get the knack, and refreshingly different.

Looks cool too.
IMG_20220505_171614189.jpg

Here's a thread detailing my first getting one, and the masses of invaluable advice I got on how to use it!
How Does One Shave With A GEM/Ever Ready 1912 SE Razor? Tips On Technique From Colleagues Needed. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/how-does-one-shave-with-a-gem-ever-ready-1912-se-razor-tips-on-technique-from-colleagues-needed.622671/

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Wonderful response as always here. I've been off researching, and yes I see the blades I reference above were more the paint-scraping variety! I found the Personna GEM blade (stainless steel, PTFE coated) on sale in UK at "Connaught Shaving Part of Suffolk Supplies". So I'll be getting some of those. They must be better than the antiques some of the YouTubers are shaving with.

I was really bidding on a Tech, and I kind of bought this Ever Ready by accident. But I'm getting quite excited to try it now!
You can really hear a shave with this model of razor. Seems to amplify the process. Great results and blades last a while…careful with a new blade but they definitely smooth out after a couple of shaves. I reckon you’ll enjoy using it.

It's a fun razor, efficient when you get the knack, and refreshingly different.

Looks cool too.
View attachment 1815089

Here's a thread detailing my first getting one, and the masses of invaluable advice I got on how to use it!
How Does One Shave With A GEM/Ever Ready 1912 SE Razor? Tips On Technique From Colleagues Needed. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/how-does-one-shave-with-a-gem-ever-ready-1912-se-razor-tips-on-technique-from-colleagues-needed.622671/
It is rather cool-looking. I incorrectly described the handle above (not having received it at that time). Of course it's nickle-plated brass. Feels quite a nice weight and balance. I think I'm coming to prefer short chunky handles for better control. Those old safety-razor designers knew what they were doing.

Will check out that thread.

Top Bottom