What's new

Underrated movies

Just a few I can think of right now...not all of them are "underrated" though

Death to Smoochy - loved Ed Norton in this
Godfather 3 - really not as bad as people say, compared to the 1 and 2 yes, but it's still a favorite.
Boondock Saints - Vigilante action movie... really great. (#2 I heard is in the works.)
A Complete History of my Sexual Failures - documentary of a filmmaker meeting all of his ex loves and trying to figure out why he's a failure in love. If you like English humor this is funny.
Leon -
Memento -
Heist - Gene Hackman, nuff said. Also Crimson Tide.

Just a few I can think of right now...not all of them are "underrated" though

Death to Smoochy - loved Ed Norton in this

Leon -
Memento -
Heist - Gene Hackman, nuff said. Also Crimson Tide.

I don't get all the love here for Smoochy...it is terrible, not under rated at all.

Memento is a great film, tremendously under appreciated.

Ok...Crimson Tide.

That long pause was me cringing. One of THE worst films ever made with possibly the single worst line of dialog ever written or spoken:
Zimmer: That's the whole f%@! point is that we don't got time! Radchenko is fueling his birds and why do you think he's doing that? Huh? Why? Because you don't put on a condom unless you're gonna f$@!

I don't get all the love here for Smoochy...it is terrible, not under rated at all.

How many times have you seen it? I didn't like it that much the first time I saw it either, but after I watched it again and caught more of the jokes, I loved it. It is an acquired taste. As I said in my earlier post in this thread, it is v.ery dark humor, but still very funny. You have to love Rainbow Randolph.

How many times have you seen it? I didn't like it that much the first time I saw it either, but after I watched it again and caught more of the jokes, I loved it. It is an acquired taste. As I said in my earlier post in this thread, it is v.ery dark humor, but still very funny. You have to love Rainbow Randolph.

You know...I think its probably my overall disdain for Robin Williams, because I like everyone else involved with the film. Devito, Norton, Keener...John Stewart. I've seen it in parts several times and didn't enjoy any of it. It's Robin William's attempt to rescue another horrible clown movie he was in earlier in his career...Shakes the Clown.

As for Danny Devito and dark humor, he can be great...I LOVE him and his character in Other People's Money, especially the "I love wrong numbers scene." Absolutely hysterical.

Wow lots of good movies listed here!

+1 on Seems Like Old Times
+1 on Heist

A few others others:

Ravenous
Europa Europa
Snatch

One thing to consider is rewatchability. The movie that if its on, you get sucked in, no matter what. Rocky might be the best of the 6 Rockys, but Rocky 4 is easily the one that I can watch over and over. After all, Rocky did break the Cold War! Princess Bride is definitely one of those, for me. Shawshank Redemption too. Commando and Predator as well.

One of my all time favorites with some of the best 80's lines:

Road House!!

The Salton Sea...I have yet to meet anyone around here who has seen that. It was pretty good.
Yeah, the dialog was great, especially by Vincent Dionfrio. From what I understand it was largely improvisation as the actors were given an sketch/outline of the film vs a full on script and they went from there. Worth seeing for that alone.

Yeah, the dialog was great, especially by Vincent Dionfrio. From what I understand it was largely improvisation as the actors were given an sketch/outline of the film vs a full on script and they went from there. Worth seeing for that alone.

I haven't been able to look at Vincent Donofrio the same since he was "The Bug in the Edgar suit!"

proxy.php

I liked The Salton Sea, too.

Another film I liked, but I don't think most did, was...Lords of Dogtown. Reminds me of when I was a kid. I thought Heath Ledger was pretty good in it, too.

Now I shall sit back and wait for Brodirt to tell me how bad it sucked. :tongue_sm

Star Trek II. Yes, I am a Trekkie and a little biased, but I'm man enough to admit most of the Trek films range from mediocre to awful. This one rocks stacked upto almost any movie.

Barry Lyndon- great film, but it can be hard to watch- the pacing can be almost glacial at times.

The Shining

Waterworld.

Just kidding. Waterworld sucks.

Just have to say that many of the movies already mentioned are some of my favorites.

The Princess bride is one of the best movies ever. " Have fun storming the castle" is my favorite line.

Miller's Crossing is another great film. Most of the Coehn brothers films are underrated. Raising Arizona is hilarious.

I do not recall anyone mentioning any of Sam Peckinpah's movies. My two favorites are Junior Bonner and The Wild Bunch. TWB has the best shoot'em up scene ever filmed.

The Searchers one of John Wayne's best. He always felt this was his best work.

The Longriders one of the best ideas to have brothers in the film played by brothers in real life. The best Cole Younger ever has to be David Caradine.

Streets of Fire is one of my favorites. One of the coolest fight scenes with picks I have ever seen

Another thing about the Princess Bride. The movie is one of my favorites. If you have ever read the book, you will be very impressed. Much of the movie's dialogue comes word for word from the text. The book almost reads like a screen play.

Top Bottom