What's new

Underberg Bitter?

The beverage in question is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underberg and I was wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on this or if anyone can vouch for its popularity.

Now, it's pitched as a digestive, but it's also 44% ABV so I thought it might be appropriate here.

The first time I tried it was back in November with my brother after the Great Shave in Chicago and this stuff tastes fairly...wretched. It is very herbal up front with heavy licorice, anise, and maybe some clove, which is followed up with a bitterness reminiscent of ex-wives and nightmares. If anyone is curious, check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L909bMX_dw :001_smile

Underberg used to be a staple at beer/wine-only places in San Francisco (and other places I'm sure) back in the 90's, since you could sell it even if your state liquor license didn't let you sell spirits (I guess it was labeled as a foodstuff or something). Sure miss those little bottles strewn all over the place!

It's a close relative of Fernet Branca, Jager, etc... just one of the trillions of bitters out there!

Funny you posted this. I've still got the box from the Great Shave event, and I've been waffling over whether to try it or not. I think you may have just helped me make up my mind.

I took a *small* sip of it, then chugged an entire 24 ounce can of Monster to get the anise taste out of my mouth, then "pawned" it off on the GF...

Some awful, awful, nasty, nasty stuff if you are like me and consider black licorice/anise flavor to be about 100 levels of disgusting worse than a shake made of fresh cat poo blended with fermented cat **** topped with a spritz of skunk spray, served in a dirty gym shoe....

It was absolutely horrible, IMHO.

I took a *small* sip of it, then chugged an entire 24 ounce can of Monster to get the anise taste out of my mouth, then "pawned" it off on the GF...

Some awful, awful, nasty, nasty stuff if you are like me and consider black licorice/anise flavor to be about 100 levels of disgusting worse than a shake made of fresh cat poo blended with fermented cat **** topped with a spritz of skunk spray, served in a dirty gym shoe....

It was absolutely horrible, IMHO.

...aaaand if there was any doubt, I believe you've nailed the coffin shut there, Brian.

Funny you posted this. I've still got the box from the Great Shave event, and I've been waffling over whether to try it or not. I think you may have just helped me make up my mind.

Hah, that's where I got mine, Price. I highly recommend that you try at least one, and give the rest away as stocking stuffers. It won't kill you, I don't think.

Its served in Germany as an after dinner digestive, its comparable to a more natural herby Jagermeister, if you've never tasted it and want some idea of what its like.

You can even get them in a leather cartridge belt type thing.

The trick is to let it off in one shot as apposed to sipping it.

Its the right job for a hangover.

Last edited:
Top Bottom