What's new

Under the nose…Feather Popular vs other TTOs

I recently dusted off my decade old Feather Popular to retry it as a daily shaver.

I remember having a thought time under the nose, and seeing this problem easily eliminated after getting a Tech clone. I had associated the nosey difficulty with the TTO shape, and decided to forever cross that type of razor off my list.

This week however, I noticed for the first time that the Feather had blade corner guards thus eliminating access to the corners of the blade.

proxy.php

I think a quick dip in the TTO pool is in order.

So have you dipped your toe into the TTO pool, or did you jump in? Inquiring minds want to know!
:a29:

Not quite yet, did look into the Baili but it is reported to be milder than their old 131 model (which I dusted off and am giving a daily shaver “tour of duty”). I’d like something with a bit more bite.

This past summer I saw a Vivitar (yes, like the camera equipment) branded TTO at Walmart for $10 and passed on it because I was convinced I didn’t like TTO’s. Unsure what model it was, but it did include 12 Chinese blades and a case. Will take a stroll to their clearance section to see if they have any left.

proxy.php

Anyone recognize it?

Last edited:
Reporting back…

…did not care for the Rookie at all.

This razor also had the blade corner bumpers/guards but they also widened the razor to cover the side blade tabs. The Rookie comb is almost 3/16” longer than the Poplar’s. So, under the nose (the nostril “seam”) was more problematic than with the Popular.

I did get a closer shave to the rest of the face than with the Popular, but the blade seemed to vibrate(it “zingged”) more and was less comfortable.

So this experience has taught me to avoid razors with blade corner guards, but has also made me weary of razors designed to cover the blade tabs. It is fine to cover the tabs, but the comb should not lengthened and decrease access to blade corners (hope this makes sense).

Top Bottom