What's new

Ummmm ... Follow the Instructions

I have a Lamy Safari that is by far my favorite pen, beating other pens that cost much more. It puts down a nice wet line and the nib seems to "float" over the surface of the paper. Figuring that Lamy had it together with their nibs, I bought a couple more Safaris and was disappointed -- less flow and much rougher feel. I disliked them so much that I relegated them to a drawer and forgot about them.

A week or so ago I happened across a comment stating that Lamy is pretty bad about having "residuals" in the nib/feed from the manufacturing process, and that a new pen should be thoroughly cleaned. Out came the two Safaris for a cleaning and shazaam! They aren't as good as my favorite but they are now writing much, much better.

Anyway, just putting this out there in case it may help someone.

I suppose I need to try this. I just got a new TWSBI Diamond 580ALR, fine point, and it is unbearably scratchy. I don't mind a bit of feedback, but my $4 Preppy is as smooth as silk compared to the TWSBI.

I did order a medium nib for it, but maybe a good cleaning will help a bit.

Reactions: tm3
I suppose I need to try this. I just got a new TWSBI Diamond 580ALR, fine point, and it is unbearably scratchy. I don't mind a bit of feedback, but my $4 Preppy is as smooth as silk compared to the TWSBI.

I did order a medium nib for it, but maybe a good cleaning will help a bit.
I sure hope you have better luck with your TWSBI 580 than I did. I love the size and aesthetics of it. However, it has a really scratchy nib that stops and starts, stops and starts. I contacted TWSBI and they said to send it in for warranty work. Back came the pen with replacement of some plastic part that "tends to break," but the nib was unchanged. I contacted them again, and they said send it back, so I did. Pen came back to me unchanged. So the net result is an unusable pen that cost me the purchase price plus two shipping fees.

I sure hope you have better luck with your TWSBI 580 than I did. I love the size and aesthetics of it. However, it has a really scratchy nib that stops and starts, stops and starts. I contacted TWSBI and they said to send it in for warranty work. Back came the pen with replacement of some plastic part that "tends to break," but the nib was unchanged. I contacted them again, and they said send it back, so I did. Pen came back to me unchanged. So the net result is an unusable pen that cost me the purchase price plus two shipping fees.

Yikes. That is disappointing.

I have both a fine and medium TWSBI Eco, and prefer the medium, but the 580 fine nib seems a lot more scratchy than even the fine nib on the Eco (which is still useable, for me). I'm hoping the new medium nib improves the 580, otherwise it will go into a drawer.

Edit:

Wanted to ask the obvious - have you tried different inks in your 580?

Mine is scratchy, and skipped a bit initially, but it seems fussy about the nib position on the paper. If I hold the pen just right it doesn't skip with TWSBI ink, though I haven't tried any others in the pen.

Also, I'm a lefty and tend to have a bit of a heavy hand, so that may be adding to the feedback, especially when I'm pushing the nib horizontally on the page.

Last edited:
Wanted to ask the obvious - have you tried different inks in your 580?
Thanks and yes, have tried a few different inks with the same result. Right now, based on this thread, I have the nib removed and soaking and I'll give it a good flush with soapy water. I would think that after two trips to TWSBI that cleaning won't have an effect but we shall see.

Part of me says try a new nib since I like the size and feel of the pen so much, while part of me says don't send good money after bad.

Anyway, a follow up on my Lamys. I was journaling this morning with one of the "resurrected" nibs and while it was close to the behavior of my favorite right after the cleaning, after using it some I believe it has opened up even more and is now the equal of my favorite. Hopefully the other nib will follow suit.

Thanks and yes, have tried a few different inks with the same result. Right now, based on this thread, I have the nib removed and soaking and I'll give it a good flush with soapy water. I would think that after two trips to TWSBI that cleaning won't have an effect but we shall see.

Part of me says try a new nib since I like the size and feel of the pen so much, while part of me says don't send good money after bad.

Anyway, a follow up on my Lamys. I was journaling this morning with one of the "resurrected" nibs and while it was close to the behavior of my favorite right after the cleaning, after using it some I believe it has opened up even more and is now the equal of my favorite. Hopefully the other nib will follow suit.

Well, my new medium 580 nib should arrive today and I will revisit this thread to post my verdict.

I tend to prefer the medium nibs on my other pens (Lamy Al-Star, Pilot Metro, TWSBI Eco) so I am hopeful that the new nib will make a difference.

Fingers crossed.

Well, my new medium 580 nib should arrive today and I will revisit this thread to post my verdict.

I tend to prefer the medium nibs on my other pens (Lamy Al-Star, Pilot Metro, TWSBI Eco) so I am hopeful that the new nib will make a difference.

Fingers crossed.
Yes please follow up. If I do decide to get a new nib, the debate will be fine vs medium. I prefer a fine in Lamy, but Lamys tend to write kind of wide so their F is more like a M in say, Pelikan. I don't know where TWSBIs fall on the spectrum.

Yes please follow up. If I do decide to get a new nib, the debate will be fine vs medium. I prefer a fine in Lamy, but Lamys tend to write kind of wide so their F is more like a M in say, Pelikan. I don't know where TWSBIs fall on the spectrum.

My understanding is that even though TWSBI is an Asian company, they use "western" style nibs, so the nibs should run wider than the same designation on a true Asian nib...which is why I was surprised by the fine nib on my 580AL being so fine (scratchy) even compared to the F nib on my Eco. I'm at a bit of loss.

My medium nib arrived today, and I swapped out the F nib on my TWSBI 580AL.

For me, the difference is striking. Very smooth with almost no hint of scratch, which is the way I prefer my pens. Yes, the line is bolder and wetter, but that suits me as I do not write small, and tend to press a bit. Also, as stated before, I am left handed, so that may contribute to feedback with any nib, but seems amplified by a fine nib.

Anyway, I would say that I am thrilled with the result, and my 580 will likely become the first pen I grab, not to mention that I am very happy to have "salvaged" the pen.

20221203_170409.jpg

Good job, glad you are happy with it!

You said you have a medium in your Lamy Al Star -- how does this TWSBI medium compare to the Lamy medium?

Your preferences sound similar to mine -- I like a wet line and the feel that the nib is "floating" across the page.

Good job, glad you are happy with it!

You said you have a medium in your Lamy Al Star -- how does this TWSBI medium compare to the Lamy medium?

Your preferences sound similar to mine -- I like a wet line and the feel that the nib is "floating" across the page.

I'm not feeling any difference between the Lamy and TWSBI M nibs. If there is a difference, it's too minor for me to detect.

I'm very pleased with both pens.

Top Bottom