What's new

Ugly cars, I mean really ugly cars

I present the Class that is the AMC Pacer

$web_amc_pacer_maroon_19751.jpg

I present the Class that is the AMC Pacer

View attachment 597491

My father bought one of those (used) for my brother so he could commute back and forth to college. My brother refused to drive it, said "It smells funny." So he took the Volvo back and forth to school, and the old man drove the Pacer.

I liked it, though. It looked decent enough, and that big wide front axle rode really smooth, it was reliable and roomy inside and got around town just fine.

My brother was right, though ... it did smell funny, but it didn't bother me as much as it bothered him.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Not that you can get one, but the Top Gear electric car is way up there
proxy.php

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Did I miss the Yugo in this thread? I apologize if so. Just in case:

$1987-Yugo-GV-Sport-6.jpg

It's like someone said, "I want something along the lines of the Gremlin or Pacer, but more boring. Can we do that?"

Did I miss the Yugo in this thread? I apologize if so. Just in case:

View attachment 597602

It's like someone said, "I want something along the lines of the Gremlin or Pacer, but more boring. Can we do that?"

The profile of the Yugo bears a striking resemblance to the VW Rabbit.

I had a '77 Rabbit that was the first car I ever bought new. It looked great on paper, I liked the design and engineering, but in the real world it turned out to be a lemon. I kept that car for about 110K miles and in that time, I had to replace the fuse-block 3 times, the ignition switch melted and I learned to jump start it with a safety pin, the engine caught on fire when an injector nozzle came loose, the roof leaked and a host of other problems.

I'd never get another VW again, at least not a modern one, though the vintage beetles and wagons have a certain appeal and looks like it might make a good restoration project someday.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Fun fact: The Yugo, was originally the Fiat 127. Fiat made them from the early 70s to the early 80s. The design was then licensed to Zastava in Yugoslavia.
The Fiat 127 was apparently a fine vehicle -- but the transition to Yugoslavian manufacturing (and the 10 year out-of-date design) didn't translate well I guess....

The Chevy Avalanche. How do you screw up a truck?

A. By naming it after a catastrophe that kills people
B. By designing it to look like a dead beached whale on the verge of exploding
C. By ruining the utility of the truck bed with goofy side rails and making it tiny

Top Bottom