What's new

Tutorial: Repair cracked handles/shafts in Gillette Old Types etc.

I was hoping for another option that wouldn't cost me $12 per handle. Besides that putty is so dense that I'll end up with a lot of extra space in the handle for all of that putty to shift around. And unless I can find a way to hold that putty in place (like maybe wax, or hot glue) and keep the handle balanced, I'm afraid the weight will be shifting around.

I was hoping for another option that wouldn't cost me $12 per handle. Besides that putty is so dense that I'll end up with a lot of extra space in the handle for all of that putty to shift around. And unless I can find a way to hold that putty in place (like maybe wax, or hot glue) and keep the handle balanced, I'm afraid the weight will be shifting around.
It also discussed lead weights and sealing with wax and such. Don't mean to play moderator or anything, but it seems the subject is better continued on the thread that you yourself started. I guess you could go pound sand. (That's an idea how to add cheap weight to a handle, not a personal comment. :001_smile)

It also discussed lead weights and sealing with wax and such. Don't mean to play moderator or anything, but it seems the subject is better continued on the thread that you yourself started. I guess you could go pound sand. (That's an idea how to add cheap weight to a handle, not a personal comment. :001_smile)
I understand what you're saying, and I don't disagree. But after someone mentioned not using other metals in a brass handle, I figured i'd ask specific questions about what i could use in a brass handle.

The sand comment I'm mulling over..

I understand what you're saying, and I don't disagree. But after someone mentioned not using other metals in a brass handle, I figured i'd ask specific questions about what i could use in a brass handle.

The sand comment I'm mulling over..
I'm not a metallurgist, but a lot of people are adding lead.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/239651-Adding-weight-to-hollow-handle
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...w-handle-Tech-and-NEW-balance-weight-problems
Leaded brass is apparently corrosion resistant. http://www.copper.org/resources/properties/microstructure/lead_brasses.html
The only concern I noted was that if you use solder don't use rosin core which is corrosive.

There was even the suggestion to use sand with white glue to seal it in.

All: If you're truly worried about metal reaction, to add weight, you could simply use a cut brass bolt. Epoxy as described....

The bolt (whatever the type) will be coated in epoxy. I've never had an issue.

I bought a crome covered copper tube from home depot. I cut the tube the size of the handle, pressed the ends in the tube, and now have a functional 1918 Gillette old style open comb

Thank you so much for your hard work on this. I love really old Gillettes and most of them have cracked handles. This really deserves to be a sticky!

Awesome tutorial. I just got a 1922 OLD type in great shape except two hairline cracks and both ends are loose. I have always thought I would like a heavier handle on my other Ball End OLD. I have a brass bolt, now I just need to get some epoxy. Thanks for all the great info.

Attachments

• $DSCF8181.jpg
    $DSCF8181.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 284
  • $DSCF8188.jpg
    $DSCF8188.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 284

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
[MENTION=79636]Pinan[/MENTION], let's say you just had a crack near the threaded end of the handle and it didn't reach much past the compressed end inside. Would it be feasible to just file the compressed end and use just the epoxy or would you still recommend the tube for strength? I'm thinking along the lines of while you are in there, why not?

Cordially,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Would it be feasible to just file the compressed end and use just the epoxy or would you still recommend the tube for strength?
Once the end is filed, the pressure to crack further is reduced. But as you stated, you're in there, so why not do the entire length? This could also mitigate the other end cracking as well.

KeenDogg

Once the end is filed, the pressure to crack further is reduced. But as you stated, you're in there, so why not do the entire length? This could also mitigate the other end cracking as well.
So if the one end is not cracked, how would on remove the compressed end from that end? Would a wooden dowel suffice?

Adam

So if the one end is not cracked, how would on remove the compressed end from that end? Would a wooden dowel suffice?

Adam

If it isn't cracked and still tight I would leave it together in fear of cracking it trying to get it out. You should be able to insert a tube from the end that is loose. Just my 2 cents.

KeenDogg

If it isn't cracked and still tight I would leave it together in fear of cracking it trying to get it out. You should be able to insert a tube from the end that is loose. Just my 2 cents.
Noted, I'm just wondering if say you put the tube in and epoxy it, it might prevent you from ever getting that end out should the other end ever crack.

Noted, I'm just wondering if say you put the tube in and epoxy it, it might prevent you from ever getting that end out should the other end ever crack.

I wouldn't worry about it cracking, but if it did crack and was still held in I would leave it alone. If it cracked and became loose I would file it and epoxy it back in.

This. My sentiments exactly.

Top Bottom