What's new

Tutorial: Repair cracked handles/shafts in Gillette Old Types etc.

Step #2 is very important. Filing down the ball end is what switches the whole adhesion from heat joint to chemical adhesive. The ball end will re-open the crack if you don't file it down. Good post.

The ball end will re-open the crack if you don't file it down. Good post.
Exactly, and Thank you.

I bought a mini variable speed grinding wheel from Harbor Freight that works great, and really speeds up the process.
One must be careful though not to ding the ends where it shows. Ask me how I know that. :blushing:

I haven't had any problems with any of the ones that I fixed. Should last another 100 years. :thumbup:

I arrived a little late to the thread but, I really need the information, I will follow your clear instructions on what I am told is a 102A in Silver, it has two small cracks but it's a fine razor that just needs the right amount of TLC, if I can come close to your quality of repairs I will be a very happy man.
View attachment 565209
Best Regards,
MC

This is a well done tutorial. Now that I know that a cracked handle can be repaired with ease, depending on the crack, I won't pass these older razors up anymore.

Has anyone successfully repaired a 3 piece razor yet. I know the question have been put out before, but only theory has been offered. Reason being, I have two, with small cracks. I have my own theories, but don't want to experiment with a Big Fellow, unless it has been done before.

I have not repaired any of mine as yet, but I have a tuckaway as well. I do not see any reason why it would not work.

Sure! No problem. That's just a standard handle with pressed ends. :)

Types that are attached at the base plate can be repaired as well, yes. Big Fellow, etc. You use a bit less epoxy and no inner sleeve, but clamping is the same. I've done several.

Last edited:
You're most welcome. Post a pic when you're finished. :001_smile

Here a bad pic but it turned out very good. Now time for a good polish.:thumbup:

proxy.php

Someone give this man a medal!!! I bought a 1921 Old Type that "looked" like it had no cracks but once I clean up all the dirt and corrosion and tarnish, there they were, 2 hairline cracks. 1 from the bottom, 1 from the top. I'll assemble my repair tools and follow your tutorial. Thanks, oh wise one.

I recently aquired a 1918 khaki set. The handle was trashed. It had multiple cracks. So i went to Home Depot and picked up 3/8 inch chrome plated Copper tube. I cut down the tube to original tube's side, filed edges smooth, and press fit the ends in like the original. It looks great and has a bit more weight than original. It is a smooth handle, but because of the old style size, not much room for slippage. It gives me a great shave.

Last edited:
Holy smokes, that's amazing! I just scored a few old razors, one of which has a cracked ball-end handle. I'm really impressed with your results!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Subscribed. Very well done, thanks for the explanation and the pictures...well definitely employ this technique in the future!

This is a great tutorial, very well done. Thanks! I'm giving this a try right now on my grandad's old with a full length crack. I have tried gluing it previously, but with this excellent tutorial, I believe this one will be successful! Thanks again,
Stan

That is a BAD idea actually.
You do not to want to use anything but solid brass for adding weight.
I use this ones

What about adding weight in a handle that isn't cracked? Are brass BBs available that I could fit through the hole in the neck? Would lead be safe in brass? Copper coated steal BBs?

Top Bottom