What's new

Tuck at a Time (TaaT)

Which blade do you think you will get for long term?

Yes they are very mild the Derby Extra. Have you tried the Derby Usta blades as well?

Oh, I don't think I will settle down long term with a single blade, but I'll do one tuck at a time. I mean the safety razor. Right now my choice would be the new set of Game Changer heads I got.

I haven't used the USTA. They're obscure here in the USA while the Extra and Premium are easily procured from Amazon.

Last edited:
Even here in Italy they are hard to find Derby Usta, you have to order them directly from Turkey, also if I remember correctly even the RBC website must have them sold out.

Even here in Italy they are hard to find Derby Usta, you have to order them directly from Turkey, also if I remember correctly even the RBC website must have them sold out.
Isn't it true the Derby Usta is marketed for domestic market in Turkey or am I incorrect in saying that?

Isn't it true the Derby Usta is marketed for domestic market in Turkey or am I incorrect in saying that?
Yes, it's correct what you write Derby Usta are the blades for the Turkish domestic market.

You could buy them on RCB, sometimes I have seen them on Aliexpress from Turkish sellers or other shaving web stores in Turkey.
Derby makes several very good blades, less well known are Concord,BlueBird, Lion and DiamondPro Excell.

In my town the only ones I find available are Derby Premium.
I have the Lion blades that I have yet to try but Derby Premium blades I have tried many over the years,they are really great.

IMG_6674.jpeg

Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Pre-shave: Cold Water splash / YBN Glycerin
Razor: DSC V92 brass, parallel cap
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (5/5) (2)
Brush: Arno 26mm Classic #12, Gen5 synthetic
Bowl: DSC scuttle
Soap: Mühle Sandalwood
A/S: POLA - Galantom II after shave lotion
Aftercare: Thayers Witch Hazel Unscented, Aloe Vera Gel
EdP: Byredo - Rose of No Man's Land

New razor, new & different cap, same blade. My second shave with the V92 all brass razor. I installed the "parallel" cap today and loved the shave (DFS+++). In combination with the GSB this razor is incredibly efficient. I dare say it's the best razor I have, but then again I only have Mühle razors (R89 & Rocca).

The GSB's are a true favorite of mine, it's one of the best blades for me with just the right combination of sharp- and smoothness. It works superbly in any of my three razors, even in the R89. I'd buy GSB tucks again any time, but I have so many others to try out that GSB's aren't on the horizon at the moment.

One more shave to go for this blade. See you all again on Friday.

Evening shave - 5/7/24
Razor: Matador de Luxe
Blade: Derby Premium (5/5) (3)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: Omega 81052 Banded Boar
Aftershave: AV Classic
Rating: 9.75/10, DFS++
This setup still does not disappoint! Solid consistent shaves back to back to back. Easy to use and no irritation and super close.

Halfway through this blade and it is trucking along just fine.

I have a bit of a clarification to make regarding this with tucks. I will be encountering this shortly myself. As we know some brands/makes of blades have tucks that have more blades than 5 in them and even some that are "bulk" packaged. For example the yellow Feathers have 10 blade tucks and Personna X-Series blades are bulk packaged in a box of 100 blades. I will leave this completely up to you and how you want to handle those situations. Do not feel obligated to complete a 10 tuck or even worse a 100 blade box in a row. If you like to split it into groups of 5 please do so. No hard set rules here on TaaT. Just enjoy and have fun.

I have a bit of a clarification to make regarding this with tucks. I will be encountering this shortly myself. As we know some brands/makes of blades have tucks that have more blades than 5 in them and even some that are "bulk" packaged. For example the yellow Feathers have 10 blade tucks and Personna X-Series blades are bulk packaged in a box of 100 blades. I will leave this completely up to you and how you want to handle those situations. Do not feel obligated to complete a 10 tuck or even worse a 100 blade box in a row. If you like to split it into groups of 5 please do so. No hard set rules here on TaaT. Just enjoy and have fun.
Yep - that is why I stated as the first of my personal rules for how I will do TaaT is:

1) A tuck is 5 blades. Therefore a 10-pack (or 11-pack) is considered 2 tucks. I will go through half of one of those uber-tucks and consider that as a tuck being done. After all, part of the fun of having all these blades to choose from is to actually get around to using them and going double the length for a 10-pack just isn't fair to their smaller brethren.

I'm getting on the bandwagon, too.
Last week I got tired of trying different blades, of some brands I have hundreds,of other brands I have a few fits.
Since I'm now trying the Treet Kings and I'm enjoying them too much I think I've found the blade that's right for me, besides the GSB.

I have two hundred of these from the Treet Kings, today I bought another 100 Abest blades from Bangladesh, in a month and a half I have accumulated about 600 blades from three or four different brands. :302:
I won't keep trying different blades, that's why the single interlocking blades I had I'm giving away to friends.

The 100-blade GSBs will be my last big purchase of razor blades, to be kept for years to come in case they are discontinued.
Next I will divide into groups of 5 blades at a time to finish tucks and carry on a blade until the package is finished.

The 100-blade GSBs will be my last big purchase of razor blades, to be kept for years to come in case they are discontinued.
Next I will divide into groups of 5 blades at a time to finish tucks and carry on a blade until the package is finished.
You are very welcome to TaaT my dear friend. We are so glad to have you join us.

However, there is one statement of yours that I want to you remember and see how well it ages. See above. I give you a few months for that one to age out.........

You are very welcome to TaaT my dear friend. We are so glad to have you join us.

However, there is one statement of yours that I want to you remember and see how well it ages. See above. I give you a few months for that one to age out.........
LOL. I don't even want to count and get a true number of how many I have. Certainly more than I will need in this lifetime since it seems I can make most blades last a full month with no degradation in enjoyment.

The problem with blade acquisition disorder is that razor blades are so cheap...it makes impulsive purchases so easy because they don't really impact my wallet at least.

I'm getting on the bandwagon, too.
Last week I got tired of trying different blades, of some brands I have hundreds,of other brands I have a few fits.
Since I'm now trying the Treet Kings and I'm enjoying them too much I think I've found the blade that's right for me, besides the GSB.

I have two hundred of these from the Treet Kings, today I bought another 100 Abest blades from Bangladesh, in a month and a half I have accumulated about 600 blades from three or four different brands. :302:
I keep meaning to test the Treet Kings and the Sharp Hi Chromium.

LOL. I don't even want to count and get a true number of how many I have. Certainly more than I will need in this lifetime since it seems I can make most blades last a full month with no degradation in enjoyment.

The problem with blade acquisition disorder is that razor blades are so cheap...it makes impulsive purchases so easy because they don't really impact my wallet at least.
Blades become almost like throw in items while ordering anyways. Who does not have a few 100 packs of blades in their wish list right now? Let's be honest.

Yep - that is why I stated as the first of my personal rules for how I will do TaaT is:

1) A tuck is 5 blades. Therefore a 10-pack (or 11-pack) is considered 2 tucks. I will go through half of one of those uber-tucks and consider that as a tuck being done. After all, part of the fun of having all these blades to choose from is to actually get around to using them and going double the length for a 10-pack just isn't fair to their smaller brethren.
Some of my favorite blades (Treet Platinum, Treet Dura Sharp, Dorco ST300, FlyDear, etc) come in tucks of 10. Good working rule otherwise I will never get to use any other blades.

I keep meaning to test the Treet Kings and the Sharp Hi Chromium.
The Sharp Hi Cromium are the only Sharp brand blades you haven't tried?

If you happen to get the Treet King don't get two hundred right away ahahahaahahah today my second shave with them, I assure you they seem superior to many of the blades I've tried in so many years.

I have to thank our friend @ShavingPrimate for introducing me to them.

Do you want to know? If you are content with them even the carbon Treet are not bad at all,in my experience the Treet New Double Edge that I have tried I prefer to the Treet New Edge, the only blade that had not convinced me much was Treet carbon black beauty.

You have to be very careful, these blades rust easily.
Treet King for me is a far superior quality, very sharp and quite smooth.

The Sharp Hi Cromium are the only Sharp brand blades you haven't tried?

If you happen to get the Treet King don't get two hundred right away ahahahaahahah today my second shave with them, I assure you they seem superior to many of the blades I've tried in so many years.

I have to thank our friend @ShavingPrimate for introducing me to them.

Do you want to know? If you are content with them even the carbon Treet are not bad at all,in my experience the Treet New Double Edge that I have tried I prefer to the Treet New Edge, the only blade that had not convinced me much was Treet carbon black beauty.

You have to be very careful, these blades rust easily.
Treet King for me is a far superior quality, very sharp and quite smooth.
I've only tried the Titanium and Hi Platinum from Sharp/Durablade. I have tucks of most the others though. Just haven't tried them yet. I am interested in the Hi Chromium because I enjoyed the time I had with the Shark Super Chrome.

I indeed have a bunch of Treet Kings. They are low cost and it's silly to spend $2.49 - $3.59 to try a single tuck when it's $7.99 for 100. Yeah, they are good like most Treet blades are in my opinion. I have used a few, including the King, Falcon, and "Black Beauty", but I really only have spent significant time with the Platinum and Dura Sharp. Treet makes very consistent products and I like them and Gillette the most.

I've only tried the Titanium and Hi Platinum from Sharp/Durablade. I have tucks of most the others though. Just haven't tried them yet. I am interested in the Hi Chromium because I enjoyed the time I had with the Shark Super Chrome.

I indeed have a bunch of Treet Kings. They are low cost and it's silly to spend $2.49 - $3.59 to try a single tuck when it's $7.99 for 100. Yeah, they are good like most Treet blades are in my opinion. I have used a few, including the King, Falcon, and "Black Beauty", but I really only have spent significant time with the Platinum and Dura Sharp. Treet makes very consistent products and I like them and Gillette the most.
Ah, did you also buy a lot of Treet King? I didn't realize that.
Too bad we can't try all the Treet blades, as Lord has too many blades in the catalog.
RCB it seems to me has samples of different blades from the two brands but not quite all the blades.

Some blades I would be interested in trying of Treet are Trim, Tjax ,Tez, Super Power.
Of the more classic Treet blades I have never tried the 7Days Platinum of which I read pretty enthusiastic comments from people who use them.

Ah, did you also buy a lot of Treet King? I didn't realize that.
Too bad we can't try all the Treet blades, as Lord has too many blades in the catalog.
RCB it seems to me has samples of different blades from the two brands but not quite all the blades.

Some blades I would be interested in trying of Treet are Trig, Tjax ,Tez, Super Power.
Of the more classic Treet blades I have never tried the 7Days Platinum of which I read pretty enthusiastic comments from people who use them.
There's a picture of a 100 pack of Kings I posted in the what 100 pack did you buy today and why thread. I think I now have 300 after reading several of @ShavingPrimate 's enthusiastic endorsements. What can I say? I am easily influenced. :c1:

I believe I have tucks of every Treet that can be bought off Amazon, so I have the Trig Silver Edge, but not the Tjax, Tez, or Super Power. Those three are intriguing as is the one you recently tried, but I have to buy them from RBC and honestly they cost more there so I haven't purchased them.

The 7 Days Platinum seemed like a good one to me, but I have only used it once. I think you can find multiple posts here that argue it is actually the same as the regular Platinum. I'm skeptical of this claim, but I could see people not finding much of a difference between the 7 Days Plat and regular Plat.

Until recently, I regarded the Treet Platinum as my top blade. This is no longer the case, but in my opinion, it offers a lot at its paltry 6 cent cost. And I spent all of February using a single Dura Sharp blade, and I have a lot of positive feelings for it too.

We can start a Treet review thread sometime after the Balin trials finish if you like.

We can start a Treet review thread sometime after the Balin trials finish if you like.
I like the idea but how does it work?

Unfortunately I don't have many of the Treet blades, at the moment only King, Treet New Edge and Treet New Double Edge.
I looked on RBC they don't have a sampler of Treet blades.

Top Bottom