Tuck at a Time (TaaT)

Thursday May 2, 2024

Razor: Parker 89R;
Blade: Treet New Edge (3/5);
Brush: Boreal;
Soap: Omega shaving cream eucalyptus oil;
Aftershave: Twill Basile Milano

020524.jpg

After discovering that some models of Treet blades are the same only with different names and packaging, from today I will no longer order whole packs of hundreds of blades.
Neither do GSBs , Gillette blades or any other brand.

It's just a mockery, waste of unnecessary money, with the drawback that they may not even work well.
From now on I will buy a few tucks at a time.

Last edited:
Morning shave - 5/2/24
Razor: RazoRock Mentor
Blade: Derby Premium (4/5) (4)
Soap: Palmolive Sensitive Shave Cream
Brush: Omega 81052 Banded Boar
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud
Rating: 9.5/10, DFS+
Not as close as yesterday's shave, but I have not irritation either so I consider that a win. It was a very easy shave. I actually bowl lathered for the first time in a very long time and I still am bad at it. I might just do that for a bit to get better at it and to help break in my boar brush. It is a bit rough to face lather with. Very respectable shave.

IMG_6633.jpeg

Friday, May 3, 2024

Pre-shave: Cold Water splash / YBN Glycerin
Razor: Mühle Rocca R95
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (4/5) (3)
Brush: Mühle Liscio Black Fibre
Bowl: DSC Bauhinia Travel bowl
Soap: Barrister and Mann - Fougère Classique (sample)
Alum: none
A/S: 4711 - Original Eau De Cologne
Aftercare: Witchazel Rose Petal Toner / Aloe Vera Gel
EdP: Byredo - Super Cedar

The third performance of this GSB in the Mühle Rocca for another BBS today. One more blade in this tuck thus completing this GSB journey. I will return to GSB's for sure in the future. They are one of the top blades in terms of sharpness and smoothness, I never had an uncomfortable shave with them, yet they've always been incredibly smooth.

Morning shave - 5/3/24
Blade: Derby Premium (4/5) (5)
Soap: BSS #1
Aftershave: Stetson Cooling Moisture
Rating: 9.25/10, DFS++
Slight irritation due to the closeness of the shave. Very much on the verge of being a BBS shave, but I found a couple of places where there was some short stubble left. Still a very easy and pleasant shave.

IMG_6654.jpeg

Monday, May 6, 2024

Pre-shave: cold water splash / YBN Glycerin
Razor: DSCosmetic V92 brass, scalloped cap
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (5/5) (1)
Brush: Mühle Purist Silvertip Badger Ebonite
Bowl: DSC scuttle
Soap: Barrister and Mann - Spice
A/S: Old Spice Classic
EdP: Byredo - Oud Immortel

In the homestretch with the GSB tuck. I had a lovely DFS with this blade in my brand new brass razor from DSC. Absolutely outstanding performance from both the razor and the blade. I couldn't be happier.

Evening shave - 5/4/24
Blade: Derby Premium (4/5) (6)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: Omega 10065 Boar
Aftershave: AV Musk
Rating: 9.75/10, DFS++
Top notch shave! It was a fantastic Saturday evening shave! Super smooth and not a lick of irritation. What a great finish on this blade.

Evening shave - 5/5/24
Razor: Matador de Luxe
Blade: Derby Premium (5/5) (1)
Soap: BSS #1 (single lye)
Aftershave: Skin Bracer
Rating: 9.75/10, DFS++
Back to the mighty Matador razor. This razor was awesome when I used it last and it sure did not disappoint this time either. Very efficient and it could easily be used as a two pass razor and do just fine.

Last blade of the tuck.........

My total admiration for you!
You calmly managed to finish this tuck too!
Well it will be finished next weekend, but I am getting close. It is not hard to go through blades tuck by tuck. Yes of course it is not glamorous nor as much fun as jumping around more, but there is a reason for it as well. I find that I learn the blades much better and not base my opinion of a blade on just a few shaves or a single blade. By using a full tuck I can use it with several razors and get a very good picture of what the blade is really like.

The realization that I have found is that most blades are not all that different. Sure some are sharper than others, but the differences are not as large as I thought they were before. Great majority of blades lasts me for a full week's worth of shaves and it is not unusual for me to have the best shave of a blade to be the last one before I bin them, which means that they can probably go even longer without issues. This is however very much a YMMV thing and this is what I have found works for me.

Well it will be finished next weekend, but I am getting close. It is not hard to go through blades tuck by tuck. Yes of course it is not glamorous nor as much fun as jumping around more, but there is a reason for it as well. I find that I learn the blades much better and not base my opinion of a blade on just a few shaves or a single blade. By using a full tuck I can use it with several razors and get a very good picture of what the blade is really like.

The realization that I have found is that most blades are not all that different. Sure some are sharper than others, but the differences are not as large as I thought they were before. Great majority of blades lasts me for a full week's worth of shaves and it is not unusual for me to have the best shave of a blade to be the last one before I bin them, which means that they can probably go even longer without issues. This is however very much a YMMV thing and this is what I have found works for me.

I think we have certain sensory feedback we become accustomed to and then prefer. This is accentuated when we jump around and use a lot of different razors and blades. I suspect if we were more limited in our selection and had perhaps just a single razor and a supply of one blade only, even if it is the dreaded Derby Extra or the Shark Chrome, we would adapt just fine.

I think we have certain sensory feedback we become accustomed to and then prefer. This is accentuated when we jump around and use a lot of different razors and blades. I suspect if we were more limited in our selection and had perhaps just a single razor and a supply of one blade only, even if it is the dreaded Derby Extra or the Shark Chrome, we would adapt just fine.
All correct what you write but I disagree about the dreaded Derby Extra.
In many years of shaving with razor and razor blade there are very few blades that I have not been able to use.

They must be just as bad as some Chinese razor blades for me not to use and appreciate them.
In my opinion they are not excessive but not bad either the Derby Extra.
I have never understood what the difference is with the Derby Usta, the latter I will try one day.
Agreed they are a case apart considering I even appreciate the Sharp Stainless and Sharp 7 am.

Evening shave - 5/6/24
Razor: Matador de Luxe
Blade: Derby Premium (5/5) (2)
Soap: BSS #1 (single lye)
Aftershave: Clubman VIBR
Rating: 10/10, BBS
Spectacular shave! Marble smooth and pleasant. Very intuitive shave with no issues. My single lye shave soap performed very good along with the banded boar brush.

I think once we're done with the Balin's Bonanza reviews, I'll jump onto the TaaT and Excalibur trains. I think I also want to commit to one single razor for an extended period of time instead of hopping around almost every day.

In my opinion they are not excessive but not bad either the Derby Extra.

In my opinion the Derby Extra isn't bad at all. Certainly it is mild, but sometimes mild is what is called for.

I think once we're done with the Balin's Bonanza reviews, I'll jump onto the TaaT and Excalibur trains. I think I also want to commit to one single razor for an extended period of time instead of hopping around almost every day.
Which blade do you think you will get for long term?
In my opinion the Derby Extra isn't bad at all. Certainly it is mild, but sometimes mild is what is called for.

Yes they are very mild the Derby Extra. Have you tried the Derby Usta blades as well?

Top Bottom