Monday, April 22, 2024

Pre-Shave: Warm water splash / YBN Glycerin
Razor: Mühle R89 Traditional Rosegold
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3/5) (1)
Brush: Mühle Purist Silvertip Badger Ebonite
Bowl: DSC Scuttle
Cream: Speick Shaving Cream
Alum: none
A/S: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve (decant)
Aftercare: Thayers Witch Hazel Unscented / Aloe Vera Gel
EdP: Terre d'Hermes - Eau Intense Vetiver

First use of third GSB in the R89. I start to remember why I did like the GSB's in the first place. Even in a mild razor such as the R89 they perform excellent. This blade will stay with me for the week exclusively in the R89.

Evening shave - 4/21/24
Razor: KCG
Blade: Derby Premium (7)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud
Rating: 10/10, BBS
Wohoo a BBS! They may be far apart, but they are so sweet when they happen. Especially if it is coupled with being a comfortable shave it is a winner and it certainly was. Very nice shave.

Evening shave - 4/22/24
Razor: Noname OC
Blade: Derby Premium (8)
Aftershave: Clubman VIBR
Rating: 9/10, DFS
New razor. Unknown, noname OC razor. Used the blade from previous shave. Very comfortable shave, but it felt a bit inefficient. Could be the blade that is on te way out. I will try a new blade next time. Very comfortable shave though, but some to be desired in closeness.

Finished tuck - Shark Super Stainless
Ok, I actually finished this the other day, Sunday, 4/21, but didn't have time to post.

I think this Tuck at a Time thing has the benefit of getting to know the blades and razors better. True, this was a partial tuck of 3 blades, but I did get a better handle on how this blade performs in different razors.

When I first used this blade a while back, it was in a Merkur 34C, and I got an acceptable shave—nothing amazing, but okay. I have since discovered that the 34C is, for the most part, too mild for me, and it is relegated to the medicine cabinet, waiting for the day one of my sons comes up to me to learn how to shave.

Anyway, I am now using a Merkur Progress and Weber SS. The Weber SS, which has a larger gap than the 34C, gave me a better shave—not the best, but better. With the Progress set to 4 (larger gap than Weber), I can get a DFS with BBS on the cheeks.

After going through one blade each, I had one blade left and decided to experiment with the Progress by dialing it up. I first went to 4.5 with a 4 for the ATG neck and final face pass which produced a better shave. Then went up to a 5 (which I had never attempted before) along with a 4 for the ATG neck and final and got the best shave ever out of the Shark. I never knew it had it in it.

That being said, I can get equivalent and better shaves out of other blades with less aggressive settings, but it is good to know that the Shark when paired with an appropriate razor, can hold its own. So, if I ever find myself with Shark Super Stainless blades again, I won't look at them with disinterest.

So, that was Sunday. Monday, 4/22 - Started New Partial Tuck (4 blades) - Treet Platinum

The first shave was with the Progress, and it was also just an okay shave. I might have to dial up the setting on this blade as well, but I will see how it goes with the Weber SS.

Finished tuck - Shark Super Stainless
Ok, I actually finished this the other day, Sunday, 4/21, but didn't have time to post.

I think this Tuck at a Time thing has the benefit of getting to know the blades and razors better. True, this was a partial tuck of 3 blades, but I did get a better handle on how this blade performs in different razors.

When I first used this blade a while back, it was in a Merkur 34C, and I got an acceptable shave—nothing amazing, but okay. I have since discovered that the 34C is, for the most part, too mild for me, and it is relegated to the medicine cabinet, waiting for the day one of my sons comes up to me to learn how to shave.

Anyway, I am now using a Merkur Progress and Weber SS. The Weber SS, which has a larger gap than the 34C, gave me a better shave—not the best, but better. With the Progress set to 4 (larger gap than Weber), I can get a DFS with BBS on the cheeks.

After going through one blade each, I had one blade left and decided to experiment with the Progress by dialing it up. I first went to 4.5 with a 4 for the ATG neck and final face pass which produced a better shave. Then went up to a 5 (which I had never attempted before) along with a 4 for the ATG neck and final and got the best shave ever out of the Shark. I never knew it had it in it.

That being said, I can get equivalent and better shaves out of other blades with less aggressive settings, but it is good to know that the Shark when paired with an appropriate razor, can hold its own. So, if I ever find myself with Shark Super Stainless blades again, I won't look at them with disinterest.

So, that was Sunday. Monday, 4/22 - Started New Partial Tuck (4 blades) - Treet Platinum

The first shave was with the Progress, and it was also just an okay shave. I might have to dial up the setting on this blade as well, but I will see how it goes with the Weber SS.
Your experience regarding the benefits of using multiple blades back to back mirrors mine and the reason why I started this journey. I have found just like you experienced that most blades can give you great shaves. Yes some work better in some razors and that is ok, but that does not make them bad blades in any way, just different.

Very comfortable shave, but it felt a bit inefficient. Could be the blade that is on te way out. I will try a new blade next time.

From your posts, I think we might be similar as to shaving. The 1-Week, One Blade might be the best, if we were to follow a general program.

Certainly, some bladed might give us a few more days, but the 1-Week thing seems to be the magic number for most every blade for me.

You can watch many videos where someone is doing a shave off between the 34c and another razor, usually a R89 type.

The conclusion is that both shaves are equal.

I think that is only how they appear at the end of the shave. Though the 34c is a nice razor and it makes for a super easy shave, it is too mild and the regrowth appears quickly, after only a few hours, I can feel it coming back in.

It is for this reason, my 34c is also retired. The ordinary KCG gives a much closer shave.

IMG_6595.jpeg

Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Pre-Shave: Warm water splash / YBN Glycerin
Razor: Mühle R89 DSC Destroyer handle
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3/5) (2)
Brush: Arno Classic #12, Gen5 synthetic
Bowl: DSC scuttle
Soap: Barrister & Mann - Seville (sample)
A/S: 4711 Original Eau De Cologne
Aftercare: Thayers Witch Hazel Unscented / Aloe Vera Gel
EdP: Creed - Himalaya

I'm still on the third GSB in this tuck and today was the second shave with this blade in the R89. I changed the razor handle though.

I got a much better shave than on Monday and I think I can attribute this to a number of things. The GSB is probably tuned in, the heavier and longer Destroyer handle is easier to wield, and I tried "bullfroging" which helps a bit in some areas where I usually struggle.

I'm really getting reacquainted with the GSB's and I'm quite happy that this was indeed my very first DE blade. We'll have an encore show of this GSB on Friday, once again with the R89. I'll keep the DSC handle attached, as I prefer the shaving experience with it much more than with the original Mühle handle.

From your posts, I think we might be similar as to shaving. The 1-Week, One Blade might be the best, if we were to follow a general program.

Certainly, some bladed might give us a few more days, but the 1-Week thing seems to be the magic number for most every blade for me.
Oh I think one week is about the "right" time of use for a blade for me as well. Remember I was regularly contributing to the 1- week, 1- blade thread for quite some time.

Now I have found that most blades can go longer than one week for me so once in a while I do push them a bit longer. Not to Excalibur levels though but just a bit more. One week, one blade is for me just a "just right" amount for a blade to be used. It is also easy to remember when to change and as we all know that gets more challenging as the years pass. Change for me is normally to change before my Sunday shave.

Evening shave - 4/23/24
Razor: Merkur 41C
Blade: Derby Premium (1)
Aftershave: Skin Bracer
Rating: 9/10, DFS
Very comfortable razor and shave, but the closeness of shave seems to be a challenge with it. It leaves short stubble left here and there and there seems to be an especially challenging area along the jawline. Anyways still very serviceable shave.

Morning shave - 4/25/24
Razor: Swing SB
Blade: Derby Premium (3/5) (2)
Aftershave: AV Musk
Rating: 9.75/10, DFS++
I decided to turn my attention to the fantastic Swing razor this morning. I will leave the Merkur 41C along for a bit and return to it later. The Swing is quite the efficient razor for me and today was no exception. You do have to be a bit attentive with it so it will not bite you. I was successful at that and I had no weepers nor nicks. Very comfortable shave completely without issues. Very smooth and close shave just the way it is supposed to be.

IMG_6605.jpeg

Friday, April 26, 2024

Pre-shave: Warm water splash / YBN Glycerin
Razor: Mühle R89 - DSC Destroyer Handle
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3/5) (3)
Brush: Mühle Purist Silvertip Badger Ebonite
Bowl: DSC scuttle
Cream: Speick shaving cream
Alum: none
A/S: POLA Galantom II after shave lotion
Aftercare: Aloe Vera Gel
EdT: Fées - Reims Vetiver

Third and last shave with the GSB tuck's third blade. Surprise: DFS in 2 passes, both WTG, in a Mühle R89. Almost unheard of. I'm starting to think that it really pays to stick with one blade in one razor for a while, rather than changing it up all the time. In any case, this blade was binned today and next week will begin with a new GSB (No. 4) in the Mühle Rocca.

I'm starting to think that it really pays to stick with one blade in one razor for a while, rather than changing it up all the time.
This is what my experience has been as well. The added benefit that I have found is that most blades works pretty well also. If you stick with it through a full tuck you will learn the blade. There are very few blades that I could say I cannot use anymore.

Morning shave - 4/26/24
Razor: Swing SB
Blade: Derby Premium (3/5) (3)
Aftershave: AV Classic
Rating: 9.75/10, DFS++
Very much a repeat of yesterday's shave. Another awesome shave. Plenty close and no irritation. This razor and blade combination is certainly a good one. The blade is plenty sharp, but smooth at the same time. Quick work, easy work of my whiskers.

Tuck is done!
Saturday April 27, 2024
Bowl: Shave Nation
Brush: Simpson CH2
Lather: Tabac
Razor: Henson ++
Blade: Crystal Israeli (10/10)

IMG_6922.jpg

Top Bottom