What's new

Tobacquisitions for March 2014

I haven't even posted the Ben Wade Pipe I got from Walker Briar Works....along with the three forever stems I just got from him as well. :blush:

Nor the 3 pipes I just got off the BST :blushing:

But I'm not going to get any more pipes....until the B&B LE thread starts :glare:

LOL you really have been on a SUPER PAD Bender! lolz

I keep telling myself "1 box of cigars a month only..."

why is it so hard for us to stick to our guns on BL AD's?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
But I'm not going to get any more pipes....until the B&B LE thread starts :glare:
Nice pipes, Andrew. As to the LE pipe, I will probably be worth the wait. I am kind of hoping we get a Bing's Favorite shape this year.

thats awesome! Now if i could only get my SWMBO to try having a stogie with me every once in awhile lolz.

Mine enjoyed one with me on Saturday when I smoked that Spectre. Hers was a La Floridita Gold Robusto Natural 5x50. We switched off a couple times to help each other identify flavors and such.

Here are my latest pickups. Corona Oldboy & Escudo Navy De Luxe from smoking pipes and Xikar Resource & Fonseca Arana toro from Cigars International.

$20140311_174205.jpg

I'm having a slight dilemma. I've been greenlighted by the wife for one tobacco purchase. Now at a popular site their having some Dunhill deals going on. I could either get 3 different tins of some blends I haven't had (in this case London Mixture, My Mixture 965, and Nightcap[had this one]) or I could get 1lb of bulk Dunhill (probably Nightcap or 965) for just a little bit more and significantly reduce my cost per ounce. Are the Dunhill bulks worth it? Does diversity beat quantity? I'm really keen on cellaring, so the bulk appeals to that, but bulk also limits my choices.

I don't think I could lose either way, but it's still a dilemma.

I'm having a slight dilemma. I've been greenlighted by the wife for one tobacco purchase. Now at a popular site their having some Dunhill deals going on. I could either get 3 different tins of some blends I haven't had (in this case London Mixture, My Mixture 965, and Nightcap[had this one]) or I could get 1lb of bulk Dunhill (probably Nightcap or 965) for just a little bit more and significantly reduce my cost per ounce. Are the Dunhill bulks worth it? Does diversity beat quantity? I'm really keen on cellaring, so the bulk appeals to that, but bulk also limits my choices.

I don't think I could lose either way, but it's still a dilemma.

I think variety may get you more bang for your buck at that point considering you have only tried one of the three that you are considering. I may be way off on my assumption, but since you only mentioned that you had Nightcap, and didn't mention any level of enjoyment towards it, it leads me to believe maybe you are still trying to label favorites (Nightcap might be one and you don't know it yet). I would say sample three different tins (don't pick up Nightcap, come back to it in 6 months). Even if you are losing cents to dollars on the ounce you are making up for it in the long run by not buying bulk of something as a gamble.

I think variety may get you more bang for your buck at that point considering you have only tried one of the three that you are considering. I may be way off on my assumption, but since you only mentioned that you had Nightcap, and didn't mention any level of enjoyment towards it, it leads me to believe maybe you are still trying to label favorites (Nightcap might be one and you don't know it yet). I would say sample three different tins (don't pick up Nightcap, come back to it in 6 months). Even if you are losing cents to dollars on the ounce you are making up for it in the long run by not buying bulk of something as a gamble.

Wise words. Variety trumps everything right now. If you find "that blend" for you, then save up and acquire a stash to cellar.

Yeah, being a pipe smoker of a little under a year, I'm very much still in the discovery phase of things. I do enjoy Nightcap (the reason it made the cut for a second round), but not enough to make it my instant go-to yet. I tend to bounce back and forth between VaPers and English blends. Definitely still looking for "the one". I'd say you're probably right in going for the three tins and it's probably what I'm going to do. I got my father-in-law to take up a pipe but he pretty much only goes for aromatics, or I would just split the cost of the pound with him and call it a day.

I think you've also inspired me to swap out Nightcap for the Standard Mixture as well.

Have you tried Escudo, Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls, or Davidoff Flake Medallions? I've read that they're all very similar. I've only had the Davidoff Flake Medallions, but they're fantastic!

Aaron, what makes it adjustable?
Nothing that I can see, it does have a strange inner tube configuration in the shank and stem that makes it less than fun to clean but now that I have removed 30 years of Cherry gunk it smokes quite well.

Last edited:

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
My Rinaldo Triade YYY Silver Line was lonely, so I got this Rinaldo Lithos YY Silver Line to keep it company.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394768136.353751.jpg

Top Bottom