What's new

Three cop cars zipped by me lights whirling…

"We would have come sooner but your husband wasn't dead then"

Hey Alum Ladd, when “The Naked Gun” movie first came out in England, do you remember if there was any outrage from critics or the general public about the Queen’s depiction in the movie?

Just sharing it so everyone else has the chance to have that thrumming through their brain for a week.

I never got to see the series, only the movies. This is what I remembered:

I wish I could see this movie in a packed theater.

Hey Alum Ladd, when “The Naked Gun” movie first came out in England, do you remember if there was any outrage from critics or the general public about the Queen’s depiction in the movie?
Nah not a touch. We do humour over here!

We got Police Squad! on TV in 1982 and the audience 'got it'

It was cult viewing here and was a bit of a mold breaker for US TV comedy we thought TBH.

Airplane! (1980) was quite a smash over here, so Abrahams' and the Zucker brothers absurdist writing style really worked with the UK sense of humour. The same with Police Squad!

Excellent writers.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

I never got to see the series, only the movies. This is what I remembered:

I wish I could see this movie in a packed theater.
The series is quite good. It's available on DVD and probably is available at your local library.
I'm sure it's on YouTube or DailyMotion at lower quality.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm certain they embrace it.

1000001515.jpg

1000001514.jpg

Nah not a touch. We do humour over here!

We got Police Squad! on TV in 1982 and the audience 'got it'

It was cult viewing here and was a bit of a mold breaker for US TV comedy we thought TBH.

Airplane! (1980) was quite a smash over here, so Abrahams' and the Zucker brothers absurdist writing style really worked with the UK sense of humour. The same with Police Squad!

Excellent writers.
I love the British sense of humor (or humour as they inexplicably spell it 😉). It regularly embraces the droll and is often dry. Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett are favorite authors of mine. Sadly, we don't really have access to the Hitchhikers Guide radio (and TV?) series here. Similarly, we don't really have the Discworld movies here.

Also, Tom Holt is another hilarious British author I greatly enjoy. He should be careful, if he gets any more popular here in the US, he'll die, too! After all, Adams and Pratchett only died after they became popular here. 😁

One for us Brits. The great Eric Morecambe.
"Not now Arthur!"

Their Christmas night shows were a complete smash.

Maybe 18 million views according to contemporary ratings. Every household was watching M&W on those nights, and a huge share of views on their standard series runs.

I watched them all in the early 70's. Classic comedy gold with a significant amount of absurdism also.

Thanks for the post @Mr. Shavington , it brings back very happy memories.

Last edited:
"Not now Arthur!"

Their Christmas night shows were a complete smash.

Maybe 18 million views according to contemporary ratings. Every household was watching M&W on those nights, and a huge share of views on their standard series runs.

I watched them all in the early 70's. Classic comedy gold with a significant amount of absurdism also.

Thanks for the post @Mr. Shavington , it brings back very happy memories.
I still can’t walk past a paper bag without picking it up and doing Eric’s trick with the imaginary ball.

I don't remember that, but I do remember being very impressed when I watched Minions by how they got the Queen looking just right for that time period. It's the little details like that that can make or break a movie, especially an animated one.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Three cop cars zipped by me lights whirling, then another two a few minutes later and the first thing that popped into my head was the opening of ”The Naked Gun”. I’ve had the darn theme song in my head all day. There must have been a special on doughnuts somewhere.
Frito Ray:
...was it something like this;

proxy.php
"Just think; next time I shoot someone, I could be arrested". Lt. Franklin ‘Frank’ Drebin,

Top Bottom