What's new

Thin Wallet

I received the leather Executive All-Ett for Christmas last year. I carry it everyday, and it still looks great. I was concerned about the size at first thinking it would be on the big size, but it is not. Fits in my back pocket just fine and my front pocket as well which is where I carry it most often. The only negative on the All-Ett is the spinnaker material is a bit slippery. The cards go in sideways, and you have to be careful when you open the wallet because if you tip it too much, cards can slide out. I have learned to use a finger to hold them in place or semi-fold the wallet a bit to keep them locked in. It is not like they fly all over the place, but they are more apt to move than in an all leather wallet.

It's not super-thin, but I've got the Orpheus from Braithwaite ( http://braithwaitewallets.com/ ), which is comfortably thin and extremely well made. Their Cypress wallet is very thin, if you don't need more than a couple cards, and they've also got some great larger wallets.

L

Lo'Tek

Dito on the front wallet. I switched to front for two reasons: 1. Back Pain 2. Security. Most truck/delivery drivers get bad back problems related to sitting on their wallets for extended periods; also office workers. A lot of my friends who have had back probs. have been told this by their Chyropractor. Further, it's harder to pick pocket a front wallet (though not impossible). Pick-pockets hate chain wallets, so I keep my wallet in the same side as my chain key ring so atleast it gives that impression, plus when your keys jingle or fall out it's a dead giveaway.

I'm a fan of the Filsons mentioned above - sweet, but Filson can be very pricey. Have you considered Cabella's -
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...at21082&parentType=category&parentId=cat21082

I like the fabric wallet combo as leather stretches even though it's durable - it all ends up smelling like *** in the end. :ciappa: - Bun intended

If you want something real durability there's Deluth. Remember the old durable fire hose material. They have "fire hose" wallets. http://www.duluthtrading.com/default.asp
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/...clothes-apparel/64041.aspx?feature=product_31

While you're there check out the long-tail T's, "Fight Plumber's But." At Christmas time you can get them as a gift that comes in a miniature "5gal." bucket that reads: "Crack Spackle".

Also, if you use those shopping saving cards, they usually come in a keyring version - this can cut down the thickness considerably, and I've noticed that some things in your wallet that you won't need handy can be kept in your car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been carrying my wallet in my front pocket for years. I only keep cards and ID in it. Cash gets folded and goes in the other front pocket. I find money clips to be absolutely useless objects that only add bulk and weight. Money folded in half and stuck in the pocket stays together just fine.

I know it's been said, but it's worth saying again. The All-ett is a tremendous wallet. I've had mine for quite some time, it's held up tremendously, and is super thin.

It's thinner than no wallet at all.

I have quite a few wallets and I always seem to come back to regular card cases, I have a Ralph Lauren and a Coach one. I'm using the Coach one currently.

I do have a Ralph Lauren Purple Label foldover cardcase which is quite nice, but it's a little thicker than your normal card case. They're availble on ebay for far below retail.

I also have a vintage sterling silver business card case that I will occasionally. The only downside is it's limited to 3 cards (2 CC and drivers license)...oh, and it tarnishes really quickly.

This is the Coach one I'm carrying now, only mine is in British Tan colored buffalo hide. 2 slots on each side and a center pouch

proxy.php

I too stopped carrying a wallet in my back pocket and carried a smaller one in my front pocket. However, wearing a suit coat or sport coat five to six days a week allows for me to now carry a traditional coat wallet. Mine is made by Ettinger of London (http://www.englishhall.com/ettinger/ettinger/purple-and-bridle-wallets/746/bridle-coat-wallet/).

I have spent a lot of money on leather goods over the years and have never been so impresed as to the fit, finish and quality of leather as I have with Ettinger. They have been making leather goods since 1934 and still make them by hand in England. Check them out if you got the time . . . http://www.ettinger.co.uk/

I've carried a Costanza wallet for years and it's wreaked havoc on my back. I have decided that I am only going to be carrying a few cards and I have a money clip so I only need space for a handful or cards and a few receipts that I might collect during the day. I have a Coach wallet which I love and has held up wonderfully for years, but from years of carrying a few dozen cards in it, the wallet is incredibly stretched out and anything but slim. Does anyone have any suggestions on a high quality wallet that will last, but small, slimmed down version more suited to my back saving purpose?

Thanks all

I use the "Big Skinny" wallet (NOT the leather one).
Here is their Link:
http://www.bigskinny.net/index.html
John

P.S.You will not regret thinning that wallet down!!

I have been using a viewslimmy for a few weeks now. I still freak out every once in a while when i check my back pocket and nothing is there.

It was hard deciding which cards to carry. I have to carry 4 cards just for my medical/dental....

I stopped carrying anything in my back pockets around 1998 after watching a show on TV about pickpockets which showed live demonstrations against people who knew that something was up and were being cautious. It freaked me out.

A few years ago I started a slow process of simplifying my life and trying to get away from "gear fetishization". I currently carry no wallet.

Front left pocket has driver's license, credit card and the RFID access keycard to get into the office. Those are in my pocket and loose. After 18 months I've never lost a card. I keep any bills stacked, ordered and folded in that pocket, though I don't keep much cash. Any coins that I get during the day sit in this pocket and are offloaded into a jar at night and run through the coin counter at my bank a few times a year. Free money!

Right front pocket carries my iPhone which wears an ultra thin clip on case around the back. iPhone screen goes towards my leg. Simple split ring holds car, apartment and mailbox keys and goes in the "watch pocket" in/on/near the main pocket. If I owned and didn't rent I'd replace the deadbolt on the apartment with a keypad and stop carrying a "house key". I did this for two years at a previous residence.

That's it.

Images of my health insurance card, my Sam's Club card, etc live in the photo album of my iPhone. They can't barcode scan the card, but they're always willing to type in the number from the image.

"Thin" is easy when you carry less. :)

Top Bottom