What's new

Theirs-Issard are supposed to come shave ready no?

Welp, I got it back, I tried it on the back of my palm before leaving the store, it cut like butter. I will be trying it tonight! im flingin excited!

Not to be an arse but I cringe when I hear of someone taking a freshly honed razor and doing anything like shaving arm hair with it. Right there alone can screw the edge up, that's a good test for a bevel set but not a fully hone razor.

So how did it shave?

near awful. I was blown away. Im a little like....hurt over it. For a company that's supposed to be some sort of fore runner in the shaving industry to have such crappy standards is insane. Don't get me wrong, I like a comfortable shave, I wasn't expecting a sharper then john travoltas 1970s hairstyle sharp, but something that wouldn't be so...unready. Wid, I understand what youre saying, but its not like I went up my arm. it was literally like...a half inch section. just enough, and stropped back over. I don't see how that would cause as much damage as youre saying.

near awful. I was blown away. Im a little like....hurt over it. For a company that's supposed to be some sort of fore runner in the shaving industry to have such crappy standards is insane. Don't get me wrong, I like a comfortable shave, I wasn't expecting a sharper then john travoltas 1970s hairstyle sharp, but something that wouldn't be so...unready. Wid, I understand what youre saying, but its not like I went up my arm. it was literally like...a half inch section. just enough, and stropped back over. I don't see how that would cause as much damage as youre saying.

Send it to me and I will use my Naniwa Super Stones up to 12K and finish on my Escher. You will not be disappointed.

The idea is for sharp and smoooth.

To me the best edge is one where after the pass you wonder if it cut anything because you really did not feel it. That is sharp and smooth.

I can get really sharp on film and CBN sprays but it feels like a shaved with a 1000 grit sandpaper.

Coticule edges for me are very smooth but not too keen.

Sharp and smooth is where its at.

The idea is for sharp and smoooth.

To me the best edge is one where after the pass you wonder if it cut anything because you really did not feel it. That is sharp and smooth.

I can get really sharp on film and CBN sprays but it feels like a shaved with a 1000 grit sandpaper.

Coticule edges for me are very smooth but not too keen.

Sharp and smooth is where its at.

You're absolutely right. Naniwa 12K and Escher are the perfect combination of sharp and smooth.

I recently purchased a $400 TI razor from a well respected internet shaving supplier.

At the time I did not expect that it would not arrive sharp enough for me to shave comfortably with (and it was not).

I wonder now if this should be considered acceptable. It does seem to be the status quo, but that does not make it acceptable.
What crystallized this for me was purchasing a pair of skates for my son yesterday - cheap skates in a sporting goods chain store - sharpening is included as a matter of fact.
Nobody would expect skates to be sold without sharpening - that's just the status quo. So if this is the case for $70 ice skates, why not for a $400 straight razor?

Obviously there are vendors that are honest about the situation and offer to make the blade truly "shave ready" at no additional cost. Personally, I have decided that in the future I will give my business to these vendors rather than those that simply sell razors "from the factory."

Yeah fuzz, its unacceptable. I just don't get it. I don't care what anybody says. at a breaking point of 100 bucks all you get should be ready. it doesn't make sense.

I recently purchased a $400 TI razor from a well respected internet shaving supplier.

At the time I did not expect that it would not arrive sharp enough for me to shave comfortably with (and it was not).

I wonder now if this should be considered acceptable. It does seem to be the status quo, but that does not make it acceptable.
What crystallized this for me was purchasing a pair of skates for my son yesterday - cheap skates in a sporting goods chain store - sharpening is included as a matter of fact.
Nobody would expect skates to be sold without sharpening - that's just the status quo. So if this is the case for $70 ice skates, why not for a $400 straight razor?

Obviously there are vendors that are honest about the situation and offer to make the blade truly "shave ready" at no additional cost. Personally, I have decided that in the future I will give my business to these vendors rather than those that simply sell razors "from the factory."

I dont agree. Sometimes you want an unsharpened by vendor razor.

I assume sharpening a skate is machining rather than hand done, I may be wrong, but I suspect not. different skills and equipment needed based on resultant requirements of comfort and sharpness.

I assume sharpening a skate is machining rather than hand done, I may be wrong, but I suspect not. different skills and equipment needed based on resultant requirements of comfort and sharpness.
then you should request a muted or unsharpened blade. For the price they should be done right

then you should request a muted or unsharpened blade. For the price they should be done right

I don't mean to be argumentative or offending... the price for straight razors is all over the place. Just because the TI is 200 or Ltd edition is 400 has nothing to do with honing really.

Based on your answer of muted tip or unsharpened, not sure what you meant to tell me.. I meant that in paying 500$ I wouldn't always consider that a blade better be sharpened because of the price.

And ice skates aren't razors. So expectations shouldn't be similar.

It sucks that AOS blows in regards to edges...

I guess I was not clear. When I first read this thread I agreed with most of the responses - I wouldn't have expected the razor to be truly "shave ready"

My point is that razors and skates have one thing in common - they can't be used until they are sharpened. I expect there are skate edge snobs that would prefer to hone themselves for the fine nuances of edge quality. However, the vast majority just want them sharp enough to use.

I ordered another razor a few days ago, this time from a vendor who is also a honemaster. He offers this a free service, not required for those who wish to prepare their own edges.
This is a service that will earn my business in the future.

I agree with Jon to some regard.

From AOS, I think they should be shave ready, as I imagine 90+% of the straights they sell are to first time buyers, and are not familiar with honing and the like.

On an expensive razor, personally I prefer it to come unhoned, as I have had some bad edges from "reputable" vendors, and I'm picky enough I'd rather do it myself. I like the blade to arrive unaltered.

To me, a $400 TI is not a beginners razor. Does that mean that someone can't start with one? I suppose not, but I can't say I'd recommend it. A basic razor from AOS is a different animal entirely, however, and should arrive shave ready as such.

don't get me wrong, as consumers we all should have the option, but if it says its one thing. it should be that thing, it shouldn't have a gray area. ya know what im talking about? Jon, sorry if I came short, meant no ill intent

Top Bottom