What's new

The Worst Blade?

if i had to pick one..id prb say the Gillettes but the Wilkinsons arent far behind

Attachments

• $Gillette Super Stainless.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 843
  • $Wilkinson Sword Walmart.jpg
    $Wilkinson Sword Walmart.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 698
The worst blade ...

is not a blade, but the 2-blade cartridges I found at the Escalon Dollar Plus store in Escalon, CA (10 for a dollar).

I tried one out this morning on a Bump Fighter handle. This was my first time trying a dual-purpose Trac II / Atra cartridge. I noticed that the angle was off, which is suppose is a consequence of the cartridge having to fit both handles. OK, I guess I can compensate for that. I start off with a half-inch stroke at the bottom of the right sideburn. Ouch! Something is horribly wrong. This just isn't going to work, so I go into the other room and bring out my injector, which I can always rely on to give an excellent comfortable shave (Chinese Schick blades). Feels like heaven after this.

Often with a DE blade that isn't so sharp, if I stick it out with the first pass, the second pass is much better. So I tried the cartridge again on the right cheek for the second pass. No again. I think I sliced off a little bit of skin. No way can I use these.

There was no brand name on these, so I can't name names. The cardboard backing was mostly blue, with I think Great Value! printed in red and yellow. The back was printed in black and white, with a black and white American flag. The packaging said 'An American Company', but the blades were made in China.

I'm not sure whether it was the dullness, or how the blades were mounted in the cartridge, or both, but it was really really bad. I have never experienced a DE blade anywhere close to this, and I've tried 43 different blades.

Note that I'm not knocking the Trac II - it gives a fine shave.

P.S. - But they didn't have the lube strip - that's why I wanted to give them a try.

Last edited:
The BIC has been the clear winner for worst blade for me, could not even finish my my shave. Good for cutting slashes in my loaves before they go in the oven.

Dorco 300s and 301s. One was worse than the other, but they were (both) at the very bottom of the totem pole. One I removed from the razor before the shave was completed, the other I finished the shave with and then removed it.

Shogun, no contest.

Paid SG$2.00 for 25 at Mustafa's, took 1 WTG swipe on the cheek, and tossed the blade.

I "paid it forward" by tossing the remaining 24. Believe me, I did everyone a favor.

Odd, thought I posted to this...it's the BIC for me, could not even make it past the first shave. Now just use the blades for slashing loaves of bread before they go into the oven.

I was not too impressed with Derby blades either. They just did not seem as sharp as some of the other brands I have tried so far.

I have found that as my technique improves, my choice in blades changes. To me, the Walmart Wilkinson's deliver very smooth shaves, especially in a Gillette Red Tip. Put one in an adjustable razor and they are mediocre at best. I have yet to find a razor that gives a great shave with the Derby, but they are all OK. I haven't shaved with a Merkur since I bought my HD 3 years ago. Thought it was terrible then, but I was just starting to learn DE technique. Merkur would have to be my choice at this point as the worst blade, however I am tempted to try them again now that I have gained some experience.

Jeff

+1

I have had blades that seemed close to useless perform x times better in another razor.

My experience mirrors this. A blade which is horrifically bad in one razor may be quite acceptable in another. I also wonder how much of what we see in complaints may just be quality control issues. The blades are made by machines run by "people", and those tend to be notoriously unreliable control units.

Thusfar I have been able to find a razor that functions decently with each blade I have tried. Some pairings of razor/blade are nearly golden.

Edit: Just went in for the daily shave, shower, & I forget. This week I've been getting BBS when I take the time for it (an extra 2 minutes touchup after passes WTG/ATG), but I forgot what blade was in that particular Slim. So I check it and it is one of the much maligned Dorco 300s! Your mileage may indeed vary. Mine did.

Last edited:
Without a shadow of a doubt I say dorco 301. And after trying several Derbys, I left them. I don't know about Voskhod yet, but they seemed so so so mild, I switched to another blade in the middle of my first pass.

I do like feathers, but I just can't handle them. I won't say I like the merkurs, but I don't know whether that is because they are too sharp. I do love Timors.

Long story short: don't buy dorco, unless you want to make prison shanks or something like that!

Turkish Perma-sharp the worst of anything I've tried,now the Perma-sharp made in Russia are totally different and are fine.

Wilkinson Sword Classic so far at this point of my experimenting with blades and experience of shaving. I may try them some day again but not very soon.

topaz are the best AND worst blades i have ever tried. only blade i have ever tried. dont know how long they last as i havent changed it yet.
maybe a dozen shaves so far.
just got my first wade and butcher in the mail today so,, im bbs right now.

Top Bottom