What's new

The Virginia Gentlemen

1. First Name? Adam
2. What is your Virginia connection? Living in VA since 2012
3. What State Team do you root for? Love that dirty water.....Boston in my home!
4. What do you do? Build bombs :)
5. What are your favorite soaps/creams/brushes/razors/
Soap:Mama Bears has my heart right now
Cream: Proraso White
Brushes: Simpsons Commodore X3
Aftershaves: none at the moment
Razors: Gillette Rocket flare tip

Tell us a little about yourself?
I have been in the Air Force for 10 years and just started DE shaving in May. I am originally from Massachusetts and as you can see I love my sox and I am also a pats, bruins and celts fan. I have committed the ultimate sin in my little world and went and married a Yankees fan. Some call it blasphemy but hey you cannot choose who you love! I love VA and always have ever since I was a kid. Now I am able to call it my home although for how long is always the questions. Cheers!

Welcome, Adam! Feel free to call yourself a Virginia Gentleman in your sig!

I have been in VA since 1984, as it was my dad's final duty station before retiring from the Navy. But, I am a die-hard Sawx fan. My wife's family are all Yankee fans, but she sides with me, except when we're all joking on each other. Then, she turns on me!

Are you stationed at Langley AFB, by chance?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Good morning gentlemen. Nice to see a club for Virginians.

1. First Name? John
2. What is your Virginia connection? Been in Fairfax County, Mt Vernon area, for six years now
3. What State Team do you root for? Hmm, do the Nationals count?
4. What do you do? In the Army, working at the Pentagon
Soap: Toss up between Cella and Stirling Barbershop
Cream: Proraso Blue
Brushes: Simpson The Colonel, Semogue 1800, Omega Pro 48 and 10065
Aftershaves: Pinaud Clubman
Razors: Merkur 39c, 38c, 47c, 41c; EJ DE89; gold Fatip Grande
6. What are your worst acquisition disorders if any? the SBAD bug bites the worst, but I seem to have collected many more soaps and razors

I'm originally from San Diego - go Chargers! - and came to Virginia via the Army. I was a real tanker for many years, but now mainly drive a desk. Such is life. I have a wonderful wife and seven beautiful children - four girls, three boys - ranging from four months old to 14 years old. I'm trying to get my teenager into wetshaving, but he'd rather just use a cart and a can of Barbasol. My two-year old and four-year old, on the otherhand, love shaving with me on the weekends with blade-less razors. There's hope yet.

Having lived in different parts of the country, we really like it here. We love the greenery, the changing seasons, the historical places, good mix of urban culture and outdoor spaces with lots of bike trails, parkland, and water to fish and paddle in.
Hobbies: Bicycling-both urban/road and mountain; canoeing; reading; gardening; canning/jamming; wetshaving (of course)

Welcome, John! Feel free to dub yourself a Virginia Gentleman to your sig.

I see a lot of military connections, and that's one of the coolest thing about our state. So many come here with the military, and many end up staying. I know driving a desk doesn't match driving a tank, but your service is appreciated! Also, I know you have to have come through Ft. Knox. I got to know Agony and Misery very well back in 1993 as part of my ROTC training. 8 weeks isn't the same as full OSUT, but it was enough for me!

Since we now have a few members, I wanted to see who's interested in a razor passaround. I have a customized Pre War Fat Handle Tech that's been coated and weighted. Sound off if you are interested in taking it for a spin, and we can start hammering out a list and plan it out.

Here is the razor I will be passing around. Please post here if interested. But if you have specific questions about the coating, I ask that you PM me rather than discussing it here.

$IMG_20150817_213346.jpg

Also, if you know what this is, just don't shout it out here please. It's a long story.

Last edited:
1. First Name? Hank
2. What is your Virginia connection? Blacksburg (1998-present)
3. What State Team do you root for? Virginia Tech Hokies
4. What do you do? Computer programmer since 1981
Soap: Arko, Palmolive
Cream: Ingram
Brushes: Badger
Aftershaves: Pinaud Clubman
Razors: WEISHI 9306FL
6. What are your worst acquisition disorders if any? None

I'm 57. I don't watch TV outside of sports and I don't go to movies. I mostly just kill people on the computer.
I'm a lay preacher, a track official and work chain gang at high school football games. Married, two college age kids.

To our shaving brethren in Northern Va, any good barber supply stores? In particular, anyone been to Zeepk Barber and Beauty Supply in Annandale?

I am going up North at the end of October, but alas I will be stuck walking around Old Town Alexandria. Looks to be about a 43 minute ride from my hotel, so maybe I will get one of my co-workers to drive down in his rental car.

I checked out their website. I wonder if I could use my per diem to buy a new straight? Hmmmmmm.

Does anyone know of any VA made soaps or aftershaves that I can purchase. I really like buying local when I can, especially if it is from a small business.

I recently bought a shave puck at a local coffee shop here in Norfolk made by some folks who make candles as well. Wicked Wicks. I haven't used it yet.

I had a wonderful shave soap from the Lafayette River Soap Co. but I don't think they are around anymore.

Which shop? I work at NNSY, and I could see myself swinging through Norfolk on the way home one afternoon.

Briki Coffee House, 4117 Granby St. Only $3. Having mentioned it, I thought I ought to try it out. I did a hand lather. Didn't load on the brush very easy. Maybe it needs blooming. Lot of bentonite clay in the soap. Created a slick but disappearing lather. Might be okay for a quick pass with cartridge, hard to say until I try. Don't think it would hold up to a three-pass shave with an R-41.

If you swing by Norfolk, visit Norva Barber Supply, 7629 Chesapeake Blvd. Get selection of barbershop aftershaves, tonics, hair care products.

Last edited:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
To our shaving brethren in Northern Va, any good barber supply stores? In particular, anyone been to Zeepk Barber and Beauty Supply in Annandale?

I rather like KC Beauty Mart in Mt Vernon on Rte 1, which I gushed about here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-Ethnic-Beauty-Shops?highlight=kc+beauty+mart About half way down, I talked about Walter's Barbershop, also on Rte 1, which I HIGHLY recommend, if you're into authentic old school barbershops. I mean, like this place is the Brigadoon of barbershop - when you walk in the door its a time warp into the 60's (minus the cigarette smoke maybe). The barber's name is Bill (he bought the place from Walter like thirty year ago) and he's a former Marine who's just as old school as his shop. GREAT place!

Also for you NOVA brothers, scroll about halfway down here for my take on a few B&Ms I've discovered around here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/448480-Online-vs-B-amp-M/page2?highlight=Tschiffely

A pretty good thread here too: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...uy-in-Washington-DC-area?highlight=Tschiffely As they say in Star Wars, its a older thread sir, but it checks out.

And don't forget the wiki: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/USA_Virginia

Top Bottom