What's new

THE THIN BLUE SMOKE THREAD XII

I’m doing up some 4th of July ribs as well.

Only 2hrs in so far.

Will try to remember to take a pic when finished.

04052CE7-2E64-46FD-A156-BE1BE76C620C.jpeg

Well there done😊

Would have liked the sauce stayed evenly across. But this is how they turned out.

Center cut will be for the Judge’s 😊

Last edited:
First time smoking a chuck roast and it will certainly not be my last.

Super simple rub (salt when I dry brined the night before), pepper, onion and garlic powder. Smoked with Bear Mtn Pecan on Recteq Bullseye. no wrap this time, but will probably try butcher paper wrap next time once it gets to 165-170 ish.

View attachment 1694537View attachment 1694538

I smoke these often! There is nothing quite like a nice smoked chuck. Just did one last week, last one in the freezer before I go get another half critter from the locker here in a few days.
This is one of our favorite recipes. I just use something like Land O Lakes garlic butter, no need for a compound butter.
I use paper as opposed to tin foil, double wrapped. Paper seems to give better smoke flavor.
I use a Pecan and Applewood blend FWIW.
Good stuff!

I randomly picked up a beef cheek this weekend while grabbing some proteins and did a smoke/braise tonight. Holy hell, I’m definitely doing this again. Super tasty, inexpensive, and easy to do in a much shorter amount of time than other smoked proteins. Tried to upload a video of squishing the meat up too but couldn’t find a way to make it work…

IMG_0357.jpeg

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Prime brisket went a little long on the fire and got up to 204 before I could get it off. Too tender. Fell apart like a pot roast. No complaints on the flavor or juiciness, it was just a pain to slice. Prime briskets are often probe tender and ready at under 200. Still made some great sandwiches!

IMG_0095.JPEG
IMG_0096.JPEG

What's on the BBQ for 2024?

I guess we are just using this thread.

Restored my old Vision Kamado that had seen heavy use for the past decade+. Cleaned, degreased, KickAsh charcoal basket, new gasket, place setter and two tier tray (divide and conquer KJ style). It's purring now and should last another decade. $150 in supplies, a few hours of degreasing, cleaning and tightening vs $1200 for a new one.

Trying my hand at Turbo Butts as I didn't want to wake up in the middle of the night to throw these two 7lb butts on for "chopped pork" sandwiches tonight. I'm closer to 300* surface temp as opposed to the 350* many do them at.

They went on at 9am.

PXL_20240104_182110936.jpg

Last edited:
I didn’t take pictures, but I smoked a 15 lb 14.5 oz brisket on New Year’s Day. It was a learning lesson. I wasn’t excited about it after ten hours on the smoker. Another several hours of slow cooking and it went from disappointing to incredibly tender and flavorful. I was surprised at the complete change. At the end of New Year’s Day I wasn’t going to bother with another brisket. The end of the next day turned it completely around.

I didn’t take pictures, but I smoked a 15 lb 14.5 oz brisket on New Year’s Day. It was a learning lesson. I wasn’t excited about it after ten hours on the smoker. Another several hours of slow cooking and it went from disappointing to incredibly tender and flavorful. I was surprised at the complete change. At the end of New Year’s Day I wasn’t going to bother with another brisket. The end of the next day turned it completely around.
My long smokes usually start around 11PM the night before. I use a ThermoWorks Signal with the billows attachment on a Big Green Egg. It does a great job of keeping the 225 degree temperature within a degree or two for the entire smoke. If there was to be a temperature issue, the alarm on my phone would wake me up to correct.

My long smokes usually start around 11PM the night before. I use a ThermoWorks Signal with the billows attachment on a Big Green Egg. It does a great job of keeping the 225 degree temperature within a degree or two for the entire smoke. If there was to be a temperature issue, the alarm on my phone would wake me up to correct.
Great to now. I have smoked smaller roasts and homemade sausages, but nothing really big. I will keep that in mind as I plan to do a brisket again.

I made bacon for the first time today. Regular pork belly and pork shoulder/boston butt which when turned into bacon, is known as Buckboard Bacon.

The belly cured for 8 days while the buckboard was sitting in cure for 13. I would have liked to go for a bit longer on both, but the weather has other ideas. We've been enjoying an el nino year and a mild winter, but the polar vortex is moving in. We're looking at -28c within a few days.

All that said, I pulled the belly and buckboard from the fridge, gave it a quick rinse and let it dry for 1.5 hours with a fan on them.

20240108_095514.jpg

Onto the Traeger set to 'smoke'. I snapped a quick pic when I was putting the probes in.

20240108_160005.jpg

I pulled the belly at 135f and put it into the fridge for the initial cool.

20240108_162957.jpg

I put a bit of cracked pepper on a small portion of the end to see how it would be like. The belly smoked for ~3 hours.

20240108_163042.jpg

The buckboard bacon wasn't far behind after I raised the temperature from the smoke setting to 180f setting. Since I'm currently in -2c weather, this meant that the smoker was now running between 165-175f.
20240108_171035.jpg

20240108_171044.jpg

I'm really happy with the color on these. I['m going to put them into ziploc bags for the night and cut into them tomorrow morning for some bacon and eggs.

20240108_171235.jpg

All-in-all this is about 4kg of bacon.

I'm a Weber guy through and through.
Snake method with Kingsford charcoal and mesquite wood chunks. Wrapped with butcher paper. I like to use horseradish sauce for a binder. Usually takes around 8 hours. I'll add some white vinegar and fresh Serrano after.

Attachments

• PXL_20230219_163714362.jpg
    PXL_20230219_163714362.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230106_223536090.jpg
    PXL_20230106_223536090.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230219_163342508.jpg
    PXL_20230219_163342508.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Top Bottom