What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke thread VIII- BBQ at the B&B

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
You've been to my son-in-law's, haven't you? That's his, privacy fence and all.

Oh, wait a minute. His has a thermometer in the lid.

Nice one Aaron...that should give you many years of enjoyment...and great food!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
You've been to my son-in-law's, haven't you? That's his, privacy fence and all.

Oh, wait a minute. His has a thermometer in the lid.

Nice one Aaron...that should give you many years of enjoyment...and great food!

It's an Old Country Pit from Academy.

Thermometer...like this?

$IMG_1737[1].jpg

The area were the pit now sits was my garden. It's way too shady now to grow much there.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yup, that's the same probe he has on his.

I saw in the Acquisitions thread you got a 1/4 rick for $80? I haven't looked lately, but SWMBO said the other day she saw a rick for $70...and I thought that was a bit high with all the hardwood that got knocked down during the last ice storm...everyone has firewood running out the ears. But it's always higher in the cities, probably because they have to haul it in.

If you want to make the drive I'll let you have a rick of post oak, cut but not split, and several about 18 inch diameter and 2-3 foot long logs that need cut up more, for free. We'll just load up the bed of your truck. After the logs are cut up you should end up with about 3/4 of a cord and I would still have plenty left for myself for another year or so.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yup, that's the same probe he has on his.

I saw in the Acquisitions thread you got a 1/4 rick for $80? I haven't looked lately, but SWMBO said the other day she saw a rick for $70...and I thought that was a bit high with all the hardwood that got knocked down during the last ice storm...everyone has firewood running out the ears. But it's always higher in the cities, probably because they have to haul it in.

If you want to make the drive I'll let you have a rick of post oak, cut but not split, and several about 18 inch diameter and 2-3 foot long logs that need cut up more, for free. We'll just load up the bed of your truck. After the logs are cut up you should end up with about 3/4 of a cord and I would still have plenty left for myself for another year or so.

Yeah, the wood seems high. Most places on Craig'slist are $100/$125 for a 1/4 cord up to $300+ for a full cord.

That's a great offer and appreciated. I might have to take you up on that when I run out. Now I need a pickup:mad3:.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Ooops, I see where you got 1/4 cord (1/2 rick) for the $80 instead of 1/4 rick. I may need to get the log splitter that the ranch manager next to us said I could borrow, then load up the truck and take it to Dallas. :thumbup1:

Waiting to see your first cook.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I will be getting up at 5:30 in the morning and monitoring this thread all day.

Now I need a pickup:mad3:.

U-haul. :001_smile Just rent a small trailer up here and turn it in when you get back to Austin.

Last year a guy down the road had a rick stacked up next to the roadway with a sign of $45 hung on it...it never sold.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I will be getting up at 5:30 in the morning and monitoring this thread all day.

U-haul. :001_smile Just rent a small trailer up here and turn it in when you get back to Austin.

Last year a guy down the road had a rick stacked up next to the roadway with a sign of $45 hung on it...it never sold.

5:30am. Ah a sleep in.
I hope to see a full detailed log of events, with photos aplenty from Aaron

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I was up at 4:30AM....ah...5:00....ah....5:15. Yeah that's it 5:15AM :biggrin1:

Brisket and beef ribs are trimmed and seasoned. Fire is hot, smoke is blue.

I did some jumbo shrimp marinated in lime, honey, and Siracha (with a bit of cilantro and red onion thrown in as well) last night on the grill along with some grilled asparagus. Used the Weber gas grill for this one. I threw the shrimp into a grill basket instead of using my normal bamboo skewers. Fantastic. I'll be doing that again.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've never smoked beef back ribs before. I smoked them for 2-1/2 hours and wrapped them in foil for 1-1/2 along with a squeeze of sauce and spritzes of apple cider vinegar. Next time I'll smoke them for less time and a lower temp. The wife loved them.

$image.jpg

Top Bottom