What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread VII- BBQ at the B&B 2015

Looks like everyone had the same idea on this nice spring day.....grilling. Some good looking food you guys cooked up.

Triple Spatchcock Chickens for me, still on the Vision with some lump and Pecan.

Looks great, Bruce. Do you find elevating the cooking grid works better for the spatchcock chickens? I do them on my BGE and think if they were elevated, they wouldn't char as much.

Looks great, Bruce. Do you find elevating the cooking grid works better for the spatchcock chickens? I do them on my BGE and think if they were elevated, they wouldn't char as much.
I've only done it twice,but to be honest, I do everything on the top grate. The only time I use the lower rack is for a pizza stone deflector or a drip pan.

They still get crispy bit not burnt tasting at all. Here is a pic of them done but none of the plated meal with Spinach, Egg, Bacon Salad and homemade Rice Pilaf, as it went quickly.

I sauce them for the last little while. The meat is so flavorful on the charcoal and never dries out.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1426466233576.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1426466233576.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 132
I've only done it twice,but to be honest, I do everything on the top grate. The only time I use the lower rack is for a pizza stone deflector or a drip pan.

They still get crispy bit not burnt tasting at all. Here is a pic of them done but none of the plated meal with Spinach, Egg, Bacon Salad and homemade Rice Pilaf, as it went quickly.

I sauce them for the last little while. The meat is so flavorful on the charcoal and never dries out.

Nicely done, sir :thumbup1:

Tom - Nice smoking rig and beautiful ribs! :w00t:

I did bacon and ham this weekend. Started two weeks ago with 7.5 lbs of pork belly, brined with salt, sugar, nitrite, a lot of dried chilies, chili powder, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, and allspice. The brine was blood red from all the chilies! Turned out nice and spicy, 6 1/4 lbs at the end after smoking, trimming and slicing.

Slabs of Spicy Bacon by cxg231, on Flickr

Spciy Bacon Packaged by cxg231, on Flickr

Also did a 9 lb loin for Canadian Bacon (ham). Just a salt, sugar and nitrite cure. Ended up with 7.5 lbs of ham after smoking trimming and slicing.

Canadian Bacon (Ham) by cxg231, on Flickr

Ha ha, too kind! Just noticed my stove top is dirty in the pictures...:ohmy::blush:...pulling the meat off the smoker came between cooking dinner and cleaning up after.

That's some good looking pork, it looks amazing. :drool:

Bruce: If you and your family like spicy food, you should really add spicy bacon on your list of things to try. From trial and error I have determined you really need to brine the pork belly for two weeks to get the a nice spicy flavor profile, one week isn't enough time. Very much worth the wait though.

I'm on a soup diet. Y'all killin' me.

Hey now! Smoked ham & beam soup, split pea and ham, any sort of chowder that starts by frying up bacon...lots of ways to work smoked meat into your diet!

$smokedchicken.jpg

Finally got around to cleaning out my UDS (last night) for the first cook of the year - chicken halves with Simply Marvellous Cherry and cherry smoke. Tonight - pulled pork!

Those chickens look better then mine did...nicely done.

We did Chicken Slouvaki with baby potatoes and a Greek Salad tonight. The chicken was pre-marinaded and decent. We'd much rather do our own, but were strapped for time.

All this bacon talk and pics, it's going on the Short List of things to do at the beginning of smoke season.

$IMG_20150319_174734 (Large).jpg

$IMG_20150319_175244 (Large).jpg

$IMG_20150319_175834 (Large).jpg

:a47: That chicken right there could be in a cookbook. Man. Great job, I can almost taste it from here.

Thanks man! It's the first time I've cooked chicken halves and I think it's my favourite way of cooking 'em. They went for around an hour a half at 330F, thigh temp hitting 185F. Breast was over, but keeping everything together like that meant they stayed really juice with enough bite through skin to get all the rub flavour in there. Just need to fix the clumping issue with that rub and I'm done :thumbup1:

I think I'll try your lower temp next time. When I did my last couple Spatchcocks they were around 400* and would probably benefit from lower temps to keep this skin a bit less "cajun"

Dave- is that pulled pork? I hope you made cole slaw to go on your pulled pork sandwiches.

That it is, my good man. Alas I didn't make coleslaw at the time, but there's plenty left over!

I try to keep under 350F for anything with sugar in the rub as it'll burn any hotter. I imagine finishing wings around 400 would work great, but bigger cuts may need more time :001_smile

Top Bottom