What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread VII- BBQ at the B&B 2015

brucered

System Generated
3lb beef roast, baked potato crisps/chips and slaw. We rubbed it, threw it on the rotisserie, sliced it thin, sauteed some onions and had beef dips.

2hrs to go:
$IMG_20150307_152650 (Large).jpg

1hr to go:
$IMG_20150307_165743 (Large).jpg

Potatoes crisping:
$IMG_20150307_165945 (Large).jpg

Onions frying:
$IMG_20150307_170300 (Large).jpg

Ready for dipping:
$IMG_20150307_173017 (Large).jpg

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Well done Brucered!!
My humble offering today is: loaded ribs, a New York Strip, butterflied sirloin fajitas, shrimp, and shrimp wrapped with bacon and chicken breast.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 112
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 114

martym

Humble but good enough for a king.
we also had corn tortillas with melted panela (mexican white) cheese.
chunked avocado with tomato, garlic salt, and onion flakes. Almost guacamole.
Then we had homemade flour tortillas with melted butter.
dessert is banana pudding cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Nice nosh.

Bit O'discussion. I never want to cook another steak under an inch and a half thick nor another roast under three pounds. I'm OK with left overs. Any thoughts?

brucered

System Generated
Nice nosh.

Bit O'discussion. I never want to cook another steak under an inch and a half thick nor another roast under three pounds. I'm OK with left overs. Any thoughts?
I'm with you on that. If my wife is picking up steak I always tell her "get thick ones". If they don't have, we don't eat them.

We can get away with a 3lb roast and it easily feeds my family and a couple guests (a set of our folks). The one above was 3.3lbs and I was still able to freezer wrap some leftovers to pull out and have a quick sandwich. So a 3lb roast is perfect.

When I first wanted to do a rotisserie I asked my wife to get a 6lb roast from the butcher...she said " 6lbs?", I confirmed yes. It arrives home and I knew why she was asking, it was humongous. I cut it in 1/2 and froze it for the above meal. I had to justify the foodsaver somehow.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Nice nosh.

Not always. A good skirt or flank steak will be under 1 inch. They are some really flavorful cuts, and will make all kinds of great dishes.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Not always. A good skirt or flank steak will be under 1 inch. They are some really flavorful cuts, and will make all kinds of great dishes.
There is always a i before e rule. Skirt & flank can not be any bigger so fits the exemption rule.

In general I would say 1 - 1.5 inch for a steak. SWMBO and I don't agree but as I slice my own steaks I can please both of us with no worries.
A roast under 3lb is too small IMO.
Left overs are good and sometimes if used right can be better than the original meal.

martym

They go great in dishes but a NY Strip or Ribeye is a dish all alone and is great thick, tender, and juicy!.

My brother-in-law was over once and I had bbq'ed ribeyes. He cut off a chunk, put it on a tortilla with A1 sauce, and ate it! I almost cried! Now, there is no A1 in my house, tortillas r not served if we have steak, and I bbq chicken or fajitas for him. He has never been served a steak in my house since. He's the same guy who wanted Coke to mix 18 year MacAllen.

brucered

System Generated
If we are grilling steak for fajitas, quesadilas or steak sandwiches, we will use a thinner cut if that's all that's available.

I used to not enjoy a thick steak as we grew up on Well Done meats. It took me a while to enjoy Medium done steaks and thicker cuts.

What I do enjoy and find it actually helps is, pounding our big thick and misshaped chicken breasts so they are thinner. They cook more evenly, stay just as juicy and are easier to eat, especially when making grilled chicken sandwiches. When full sized and not pounded, the thinner pointed tip portion is always overdone.

3 Spatchcocks are going on Sunday for a family dinner with both sets of our folks. Even the kids were asking for these the other day. I guess they likes them the first time.

Last edited:
Turned out to be more windy and cooler than forecast but a good day for spare ribs, rib tips, a cherry-wood fire, and some Ommegang.

$BBQ.JPG
$fire.JPG
$Smoke 1.JPG
$ribs done 1.JPG
$ribs cut.JPG

Tom

brucered

System Generated
Looks like everyone had the same idea on this nice spring day.....grilling. Some good looking food you guys cooked up.

Triple Spatchcock Chickens for me, still on the Vision with some lump and Pecan.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1426455154333.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1426455154333.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 56
Top Bottom