What's new

The Sprout-2016

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I just prepared 1/2 of the root and vacuum packed the rest to freeze for Ron.
If you guys like horseradish then consider planting some. I tasted mine and it is much better than any store bought stuff.

$20160409_172210.jpg

...and for Ron

$20160409_172657.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
It snowed twice in the last seven days so these are the only sprouts you will see from me for a couple of months.

$Sprouts (1 of 2).jpg$Sprouts (2 of 2).jpg
Just rinsing the salad mix of alfalfa, clover, radish and broccoli on the left. This tray and two of alfalfa should be ready to eat in the next couple of days. Great on wraps or just a taste of something fresh when you walk by.

Our garlic is just bouncing back from the last snow... Mike your's is looking terrific! When is harvest in your neck of the woods, i'm usually 3rd, 4th week of July.

Tomatoes are mostly sprouted, two cells to go but enough sprouts to cover if the last two cells don't produce.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

dave

Haven't been able to find Diastatic Malt Powder anywhere around town so taking a stab at diy. Sprouting Hard Wheat Kernels, then low heat dry- grind into powder. Soaked the 2T's kernels Thursday, some were already sprouting after the 16 hour soak.

The soak

proxy.php

Tonight
proxy.php

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm amazingly unsuccessful growing peppers. This is more or less a life long thing. Most other things work well.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I sprouted a jar of mong beans. Enough for a small stir fry for my wife and I with a little ginger, garlic.
$Mong bean stir fry.jpg

I'm amazingly unsuccessful growing peppers. This is more or less a life long thing. Most other things work well.

All the sun you can give them. I started growing them in 12" clay pots a number of years ago as something, i figure soil borne, was laying eggs in the developing fruit, you'd cut into a beautiful ripe red pepper and there'd be maggots crawling around, no thanks. Went four years with no peppers in the ground, tried again, same result.

Sticking with pots in the sunniest spot in the yard and grow in a soiless mix, i use seven parts peat moss, three parts of our compost (or bagged aged manure) and one part coarse builders sand or perlite. Stir in a little dry organic fertilizer i mix up and then feed most waterings with very dilute fish/kelp emulsions. They do great.

For sweet growing Tolli's Sweet Italians which have small plants but good sized horn shaped fruit. This year also trying a small plant Hungarian cheese type pepper. Used to grow a mini bell but the seeds are all gone now.

For hots have grown Habeneros, Ghost, Trinidad Scorpions as well as the mild Portugal. Bigger plants by far but still a good harvest from potted plants.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
dave

Today put the wheat sprouts the dehydrator, temperatures above 130°F will kill the enzymes i want so have to make sure i'm safe. Very stable temp once it's set. Never paid it any attention before, just set the dial and leave it be but turns out the dial is way out of whack, plugged in the meter to get it right.

proxy.php

proxy.php
dave

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Dave I think you convinced me to try peppers again but in containers. I've got a couple of upper balconies that are in blistering sun all day that would be perfect. I've never used fish fertilizer. Where do you find such an item?

Dave I think you convinced me to try peppers again but in containers. I've got a couple of upper balconies that are in blistering sun all day that would be perfect. I've never used fish fertilizer. Where do you find such an item?

I usually make a March trek to Dam Seeds outside Hamilton for seeds and other bits, i pick up a big bottle of concentrate there. I've also bought other brands at a number of well stocked nurseries/hardware stores in the area. I'd just start checking with nearby nurseries.

This is the Dam product i use, a fish/kelp combination. You want a high second number in the fertilizer numbers (phosphorous) as that promotes flowering/fruiting. A high first number indicates lots of nitrogen which is great for a nice green bushy plant that sees no need to flower so won't produce much fruit.

http://www.damseeds.ca/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=2607

Pepper season is coming on slowly, the little seedlings are doing well under fluorscent tubes in the basement, i can't wait to get them out into the big pots... a month from now.

dave

As for potting soil i mix my own because we do dozens of pots and a big bale of peat moss is far more economical then multiple bags of potting mix. My proportions for the soil mix were taken from a bag of commercial potting mix.

If you're only doing a few pots the premixed soil shouldn't be a problem.

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I usually make a March trek to Dam Seeds outside Hamilton for seeds and other bits, i pick up a big bottle of concentrate there. I've also bought other brands at a number of well stocked nurseries/hardware stores in the area. I'd just start checking with nearby nurseries.

This is the Dam product i use, a fish/kelp combination. You want a high second number in the fertilizer numbers (phosphorous) as that promotes flowering/fruiting. A high first number indicates lots of nitrogen which is great for a nice green bushy plant that sees no need to flower so won't produce much fruit.

http://www.damseeds.ca/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=2607

Pepper season is coming on slowly, the little seedlings are doing well under fluorscent tubes in the basement, i can't wait to get them out into the big pots... a month from now.

dave

I picked up "Alaska" fish/kelp fertilizer for vegetables and tomoatoes. Numbers are 4-6-6. I've made a tea with the pellets as well. So far so good. Both plants took off. The "patio" variety has put on 5 or 6 nice sized fruits. The "better boy" variety is just now blumming.

I've seen the Alaska brand around as well, many brands out there. I also use the dilute emulsion as a foliar feed for the vegetable/tomato plants in the ground, put it in a sprayer and go to town coating everything, good little boost.

Aaron i imagine that Better Boy will be a ways behind the other one you have but once it starts producing and as long as the conditions are favourable will continue to pump out fruit non-stop. An 'indeterminate' type tomato, they produce here until the plant's are killed by frost. If i remember right the Better Boy holds the record for the single most productive plant ever. Lots to look forward to!

dave

I'm behind the curve, but things will happen fast now...
The before picture was just too scary to post - the after picture is much more pleasant ;-)

$2016-04-28 at 00-00-00 (1).jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
[MENTION=83342]DoctorShavegood[/MENTION]- Aaron, I was wrong. The three habanero seeds I received were Tazmanian, Peach, and Golden. The freebies were Garden Bird Pepper and Serrano. Tell me what you want.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Got a little bit of a drizzle yesterday...the pond is starting to invade the yard. Sorry for the pic. quality; the camera lens got wet.

$IMG_0001.jpg

$IMG_0003.jpg

My driveway is turning into a lake...we ended up getting about 7 1/2 inches.

$IMG_0006.jpg

Top Bottom