What's new

The Scandal Sheet: Straights and other stuff

Oh they must have been impressed...not. So I guess that after getting your Harley back from the dealership you got on the bike and "bugged out" back home. BADABOOM! Gonna be a good day.
I was back at my home dealership at the time and they got all the bugs to clean off, no they were not happy with me but I paid a premium for the motorcycle and that is part of their service. Speaking of bugging out, When I had my pharmacy, it was located in an independent grocery store in a little town down here. The manager was Bubba Fink, yep, we had a Bubba running the grocery store. He was a fantastic manager at that. Anywho, I pulled up one day to start the day, as I was walking up to the door he was headed out of the store and we stopped and talked. He was chuckling as we talked looking at all the bug guts on my leather jacket. I can still remember his face as he walked off laughing about it. Haha. Bubba Fink was a good man, grumpy at times, but he had a heart of gold, we lost him to cancer a year or so ago.

Used my Koraat today. It's one of my nicer razors and somehow I feel like it's been a little neglected lately since I got a bunch of nice razors in the last few months. Soap was Beeswax, still going. Very smooth and efficient shave, even with an interruption in the middle to go cut up strawberries for the first grader. Oh, and to watch her while she took her allergy meds. "I like someone to watch me take my medicine. It makes me feel better. But don't shove it in my face, dad. Okay?"

I changed things up slightly. Since I started the DE experiment, I usually do the under-jaw sideways ATG pass with the DE and then do my last south-to-north pass with the straight. But I realized I usually end up picking up more stubble even on the neck, on that last straight pass. So I thought, why not do everything I can with the straight so the DE doesn't have to work so hard.

That was pretty effective. Wasn't much for the DE to do, just a couple patches on each neck hollow, and then right over the adam's apple. A lot less buffing was needed. So, I'll probably start doing it that way going forward...especially now that I feel like my DE technique is settling in.

Speaking of technique, one of our venerable vendors posted a video down in his vendor area on how to assemble a razor and how to hold it while shaving. I found it interesting. Certainly not the way I do things, but then, what do I know?

Did some more listening today, figured I'd stick with Berlioz so I dialed up his Requiem. Good stuff.

Be well.
20240425_071240.jpg

Brought the rattler back out for (faux) (French) Frameback Friday. I have been messing around with my little Escher hone for the past couple weeks and I had finished this one on that prior to my last shave. Today, it felt just a touch rough so after the first pass I did another quick 30 strokes on the stone and stropped it up again. Made a noticeable difference, the rest of the shave was lovely smooth. Got the itch to pull out the FOCS today so I loaded a Treet 7 day into it. Didn't feel exceptionally efficient but it got the job done. Continuing the grip conversation from yesterday, I took note today that while I do hold this one closer to the head, I still maintain my grip right at the balance point and use my other fingers toward the end to stabilize the angle. (in the first pic my middle and ring finger are barely touching, my pinky is doing all the stabilizing). And for upwards strokes, my ring finger (with a longer handle it would be my pinky) is near the head to stabilize things while I pinch closer to the end. Different strokes for different folks.

Be well.
20240426_072807-jpg.1836000
20240425_140526.jpg
20240425_140538.jpg

Attachments

• 20240426_072807.jpg
    20240426_072807.jpg
    610.2 KB · Views: 193
The trip to Sturgis was a bug-filled one. No big ones, just little gnat type bugs. I had a detachable windshield, which I left in place as we were always riding at dusk. The bugs had a green hue to them when smattered on the bike. My Harley looked like it had a green peach fuzz over the mate black paint job. I am not one to spend time cleaning my bike, especially when on vacation. Besides it had developed an issue that the dealership was going to have to look into when I got home and they always clean the bikes. I remember one guy at the motel we stayed at in Deadwood South Dakota, he'd see us pulling up most evenings, no doubt seeing an ever-increasing amount of green fuzz on my bike, and one day he asked me, "Ya going to clean that bike?" "Nope, the dealership will when I get home." When I picked up the bike after the dealership had completed the repairs, one of the shop hands asked when was the last time I washed the bike. I told him 4500 miles ago, that's the total miles we racked up on that trip.
All you guy's stories about bugs reminds me why I liked convertibles rather than bikes!

All you guy's stories about bugs reminds me why I liked convertibles rather than bikes!
Bugs are a reason to ware full face helmets. There's been many a'times when a fairly large bug smacked into my face shield, and I've thought, thank the LORD I had a full face helmet on. At dusk, it can sound like rain, but it isn't rain drops hitting the helmet, it's little bugs being smashed into smithereens. Which reminds me, you know the last thing to go through a mosquitos/bugs mind when he's smashed into a face shield or wind shield at 60 mph?? His arsehole. Haha.

I have a hatch back Mazda 3 now, but, for the previous ten years I had convertibles, first a Miata till 2018, then a BMW Z4 till last year. The front spoiler/bumper on both were bug graveyards so I can only imagine what that would do to a leather jacket and everywhere else plus a helmet.

I can only imagine what that would do to a leather jacket and everywhere else plus a helmet.
That's why I had a full windshield and then a full-size "Batwing" fairing on my bike. Up here the dragonflies can get to be about 3-4 inches long...seriously. Which made riding out to the lake a "dodgeball" kind of experience. Even with the shield you'd inadvertently "duck" when one hit ya.

I guess I've been neglecting the journal over the weekend. Part of it is that I don't like typing long missives on my phone. When I'm back on the desktop for work I can bang out a shave report or two.

Straights this weekend were my newly acquired purple Hayashi Diamond, and then yesterday my Danshaku. Nothing particularly interesting to report there. Today was my Söderén. Brilliant little shaver. T

On Saturday I received the New LC that I bought off the BST. Mailman was punctual as usual, halfway through the shave. Though, it needed a little spit and polish so I wouldn't have shaved with it that day anyway. I did have it lined up for Sunday though, with a Nacet. I used it again today too.

First impressions are, it is very angle dependent. And that angle is on the shallower side. The comb/bar doesn't do a ton of stretching on it's own, sort of like the Old Type in that respect although a different design. I struggled a little bit on Sunday, it is very efficient, until it isn't-- that's all about finding the angle, with this guy. Shaving sideways around the curve of my throat was the biggest challenge. Of course that can be challenging with other razors too.

Today I focused very closely on the angle, using very short strokes to make sure I kept it locked in. Very, very close shave and pretty efficient. It isn't the smoothest shaver but it's by no means rough. Just not smooth compared to the Fatip OC, for instance. "Efficient, until it's not" is something I've said about the Old Type, too. Which makes me think that it's probably a matter of optimal angles. The OT is a little more forgiving in that department but it would explain why it struggles in the same places on my face--I should say, *I* struggle on the same places on my face-- so I will be revisiting that soon with more attention paid to the shave angle.

Another realization today. I decided to skip preshave beyond the usual facewash in the shower. Soap was MdC. MdC does a good job of softening whiskers on its own so I thought I'd exploit that. First two passes were no problem at all, but I did notice that my skin was feeling a little dry. When I first sampled MdC I noted that it dried my skin a little, not bad, but noticeable. But later I didn't have that problem-- well, Proraso preshave locks some moisture into the skin, it seems. So I rinsed after the second pass and then put a skim of Proraso preshave on. It made all the difference in
20240428_101701.jpg
the world. Also, seemed like the difference between preshave or not on the first pass is more negligible, but for that last pass it really made for smoother shaving and softer whiskers. So. Not sure what to do with that information but I'll play around a little more.

Be well.

I guess I've been neglecting the journal over the weekend. Part of it is that I don't like typing long missives on my phone. When I'm back on the desktop for work I can bang out a shave report or two.

Straights this weekend were my newly acquired purple Hayashi Diamond, and then yesterday my Danshaku. Nothing particularly interesting to report there. Today was my Söderén. Brilliant little shaver. T

On Saturday I received the New LC that I bought off the BST. Mailman was punctual as usual, halfway through the shave. Though, it needed a little spit and polish so I wouldn't have shaved with it that day anyway. I did have it lined up for Sunday though, with a Nacet. I used it again today too.

First impressions are, it is very angle dependent. And that angle is on the shallower side. The comb/bar doesn't do a ton of stretching on it's own, sort of like the Old Type in that respect although a different design. I struggled a little bit on Sunday, it is very efficient, until it isn't-- that's all about finding the angle, with this guy. Shaving sideways around the curve of my throat was the biggest challenge. Of course that can be challenging with other razors too.

Today I focused very closely on the angle, using very short strokes to make sure I kept it locked in. Very, very close shave and pretty efficient. It isn't the smoothest shaver but it's by no means rough. Just not smooth compared to the Fatip OC, for instance. "Efficient, until it's not" is something I've said about the Old Type, too. Which makes me think that it's probably a matter of optimal angles. The OT is a little more forgiving in that department but it would explain why it struggles in the same places on my face--I should say, *I* struggle on the same places on my face-- so I will be revisiting that soon with more attention paid to the shave angle.

Another realization today. I decided to skip preshave beyond the usual facewash in the shower. Soap was MdC. MdC does a good job of softening whiskers on its own so I thought I'd exploit that. First two passes were no problem at all, but I did notice that my skin was feeling a little dry. When I first sampled MdC I noted that it dried my skin a little, not bad, but noticeable. But later I didn't have that problem-- well, Proraso preshave locks some moisture into the skin, it seems. So I rinsed after the second pass and then put a skim of Proraso preshave on. It made all the difference in View attachment 1837841the world. Also, seemed like the difference between preshave or not on the first pass is more negligible, but for that last pass it really made for smoother shaving and softer whiskers. So. Not sure what to do with that information but I'll play around a little more.

Be well.
Nice review. Thanks!

Nice review. Thanks!
Thank you. A little more perspective: at the 6 hour mark, I would say that this razor got me as close or closer as any I've tried. My neck/throat is still really, REALLY smooth and that's not always the case at this point in the day. I think I've managed similar results with the FOCS but with a little more impact to my skin. It'll be interesting to run some different blades in this one.

Was in a bit of a rush today and forgot to take pics, but the shave did happen. I cracked open one of my refill pucks of Stirling Beeswax since the tub was down to a very thin ring. Since their refill pucks are smaller I decided to just smoosh it into the shaving mug that sits on my sink and doesn't do anything. Scraped the remainder from the old tub and smooshed it on top. I figure I can just set the lid on top of the mug to keep it from collecting dust.

Straight was the Japanese Falcon. For the DE I had both my OG Old Type and the New SC dialed up, a new Nacet in the Old Type and a Nacet with two shaves on it in the New. Started out with the Old Type. It's smoother than I remember, but then I haven't used it in a minute. Not terribly inefficient but following up with the New was pretty instructive, there's no doubt that the New shaves closer in my hands. Tomorrow I'll probably repeat the comparison with a shim in the Old Type. I know I've tried that before and was kind of "meh" about it but it's worth revisiting.

I focused on a lighter touch today and my face felt really great afterwards in spite of being so close. I think it might be possible to overdo it with the New, though, as a daily shaver.

Really, really liking the New SC. I was momentarily tempted yesterday to buy a LC too, but I'm not convinced it would be an improvement. So now I'm kind of on the lookout for another SC, maybe with the SC-specific cap with the square feet.

Be well.

I decided to use the Falcon today again. I keep trying to put an Escher edge on it and I keep not liking the results. This razor can take a very keen edge but it can trend toward harsh if you don't handle it correctly. So, back to the translucent arkansas, and a much smoother shave. Not buttery smooth but smooth enough. And really, really keen.

For the DE I loaded a shim into the OG Old Type, with a lightly used Nacet. I think it made it a little more efficient, good enough anyway. One of the things about this razor is that the feedback is a little muted, so it's actually a little more efficient than it lets on. I am not sure where to put this razor in my lineup, though. I like the idea of it but the actual shaves are kind of uninspiring. The efficiency and closeness (with a shim) is right at just good enough, and the comfort level is also just good enough. I know, perfect is the enemy of good. But in comparison, the RR version of the OT, with the shim, is a higher level of efficiency but only a touch less comfortable. The Fatip Retro is about the same efficiency as the Gillette OT but much more comfortable-- it's by far my favorite *feeling* DE. The FOCS, by comparison, is a little less comfy but more efficient and close. And then there's the New SC. It easily beats the rest in terms of efficiency and closeness, but at the expense of comfort--maybe about the same or less comfortable than the RR OT.

The good news, is that I have plenty of options to take hair off my face. And I'll have another in a few days. I had been going back and forth on getting a New LC, and I gave in to temptation yesterday, got one from the BST in very nice condition and for not much more than what I could get one elsewhere, except the plating is intact. Looking forward to that.
20240501_071122.jpg

I listened to Respighi's Pines of Rome today, it was about the perfect length for the drive in after dropping the kids off. I think the second movement is probably one of my top 10 favorite musical moments.

Be well.

Had a nice, no drama shave today. Heljestrand MK 24 did the heavy lifting, assisted by MdC Rose. I used the Fatip Retro for the neck cleanup. Pretty good, but I grabbed the New SC for a particularly troublesome fur patch on the left side. It's amazing how effective that razor is. Finished with the Veg.

Be well.
20240502_071912.jpg

I was really looking forward to Frameback Friday today. This Engström has been in the "needs honing" pile for quite some time, but it needed new scales first. The original hard rubber ones were pinned without washers, and had pulled through a little, so there was no tightening them any more. And the scales had been repaired at some point (not by me), probably with CA glue, so I figured just making new ones would be a better option. I grabbed a clipboard from work and cut the scales from that, the wedge is an offcut from one of Mrs. Scandalous's resin pour projects. That all went pretty well, although I experimented with how I mocked up and drilled the holes and ended up with some aligment issues because the microbolt I used for the mockup bent a little. But, I was able to get it corrected and I honed it up yesterday. Had to go back to the 1.5k to clear some rotten steel that appeared near the heel. Took a great edge as always and I'm glad to have it back in the frameback rotation. And, I didn't plan it this way, but I think the swirl in the acrylic complements the devil spit oxidation on the blade in a nice way.

I loaded a fresh Nacet in the FOCS this morning. It felt a little nippy as always but I didn't see any blood. As (comparatively) efficient as this razor is, it still can't compete with the New SC in either efficiency OR closeness. I ended up grabbing the New instead and finishing the pass with it. I'm really going to have to think about my approach here... because as much as I enjoy these other DEs for various reasons, the main point of that cleanup pass is just to get what I missed or can't get as closely with the straights-- and the New is both faster and closer in that regard. Makes it really hard to use anything else, and I think I'm getting better at not overshaving with it--skin feels great today.

Listened to some Waylon Jennings this morning, just a random cue from a rather extensive Waylon playlist I've created.

Be well.
20240503_071627.jpg
20240502_125812.jpg

Top Bottom