What's new

The Scandal Sheet: Straights and other stuff

Congrats from the "Still Kinda Frozen Great White North"

Fb48.gif

Had a very nice shave today with my Klas Törnblom. After yesterday's experience without/with preshave, I was quite liberal with the Proraso preshave today. I had enough growth that it was obvious to my fingers that it did soften up my whiskers and the shave bore that out too. It's still spring *looks around at the piles of snow* IT'S STILL SPRING so I went with Agrumes, Myrsol, and Stirling Island Man EDT. Because it is spring.

DE was the FOCS today. Blade was effective but felt tired. Haven't really been keeping track as I've grabbed whatever DE catches my eye lately, but whatever it is will get binned, better to quit while you're ahead.

There is a newish Mexican place that opened near us, has some decently authentic items as well as plenty of gringo options. The stepkid loves the nachos and begged to go so we had a rare dinner out last night. We've only been there 3 or 4 times but we've had the same young lady wait on us every time and she remembers each of our orders from every visit. However, the kitchen did mess up my order last night, I wanted lengua (tongue) tacos again but ended up with tripas, and you know what, it was pretty darn good. I like tongue better but no complaints. And the green habanero sauce they serve on the side is delightfully nuclear.

Anyway, thanks again for the well-wishes regarding the boy. We're all very proud of him.

I have a rule, I'm not tasting anything that can taste me back. Yes, I am cajun, and yes we have some "unique" things we put in the pot. If you enjoy it, by all means, go after it. You would fit in well down here with the Taqueria.

Congrats to your son on his acceptance to those fine universities. Freshman year of college and football go hand and hand. I'm reminded of a cheer Rice has during their usually dreadful football seasons,

That's alright
That's ok,
You're gonna work
for us someday.

Which ain't far from the truth. Haha.

Back when I ate meat as my only food group (I didn't know what a vegetable was), I tried frog legs. They were ok, but I don't need to ever pay restaurant prices for them again. Now, I don't eat much meat anymore anyway. Strictly for health reasons. I'm a non-judgmental quasi-vegetarian who doesn't care if everyone else eats nothing but meat all day long. Also, if you need to test that mascara in a rabbit, have at it.

Had a very nice shave today with my Klas Törnblom. After yesterday's experience without/with preshave, I was quite liberal with the Proraso preshave today. I had enough growth that it was obvious to my fingers that it did soften up my whiskers and the shave bore that out too. It's still spring *looks around at the piles of snow* IT'S STILL SPRING so I went with Agrumes, Myrsol, and Stirling Island Man EDT. Because it is spring.

DE was the FOCS today. Blade was effective but felt tired. Haven't really been keeping track as I've grabbed whatever DE catches my eye lately, but whatever it is will get binned, better to quit while you're ahead.

There is a newish Mexican place that opened near us, has some decently authentic items as well as plenty of gringo options. The stepkid loves the nachos and begged to go so we had a rare dinner out last night. We've only been there 3 or 4 times but we've had the same young lady wait on us every time and she remembers each of our orders from every visit. However, the kitchen did mess up my order last night, I wanted lengua (tongue) tacos again but ended up with tripas, and you know what, it was pretty darn good. I like tongue better but no complaints. And the green habanero sauce they serve on the side is delightfully nuclear.

Anyway, thanks again for the well-wishes regarding the boy. We're all very proud of him.
Reminds me of a story... About 40 years ago, I was traveling cross-country and found myself in Albuquerque. Figuring I should be able to get good tex-mex food, I asked a bartender if he knew of any really good tex mex restaurants. He and a few other patrons got into a detailed discussion and they finally settled on "Ma and Pa Vacca's Place". I got in my car, drove for an hour and twenty minutes through urban sprawl traffic, and found myself at a bodega like establishment that had some Mexican food items. They were sold out of everything except tripe soup.

I got the tripe soup.

It was the worst pile of goop I'd ever almost eaten.

Mind you, I do like tripa but whatever was in that ceramic crock had nothing to do with anything resembling human food.

The upside? I got a good story out of the experience.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Reminds me of a story... About 40 years ago, I was traveling cross-country and found myself in Albuquerque. Figuring I should be able to get good tex-mex food, I asked a bartender if he knew of any really good tex mex restaurants. He and a few other patrons got into a detailed discussion and they finally settled on "Ma and Pa Vacca's Place". I got in my car, drove for an hour and twenty minutes through urban sprawl traffic, and found myself at a bodega like establishment that had some Mexican food items. They were sold out of everything except tripe soup.

I got the tripe soup.

It was the worst pile of goop I'd ever almost eaten.

Mind you, I do like tripa but whatever was in that ceramic crock had nothing to do with anything resembling human food.

The upside? I got a good story out of the experience.
My second night in Indonesia was like that.... I was 18 and very un-traveled. My future father-in-law was driving a Jeep someone had donated to him from Jakarta in Western Java to Lawang, in East Java. When that Jeep arrived in Indonesia, someone had stripped everything mounted on the engine... carburetor, alternator, etc. etc... He hadn't been there long and was a bit naive....The thieves offered to sell him all the parts for a paltry sum... but he was Totally Against it on principle alone.... The guy who donated the Jeep had an auto parts store... I knew him... great guy.. But he had shipped replacement parts over half a doen times and they were always stolen.

Long story to say... the Jeep had cobbled together everything and it broke down along the "highway" at night.... The only little restaurant open was a small roadside cafe... All they had was tripe soup.... Little pieces of rubber in a thin broth... I was horrified... Culture shock to be sure... I was there for 2 years and I ate a lot worse things during my stay... LOL.

Top Bottom