What's new

The Scandal Sheet: Straights and other stuff

I'm going for another promotion at the sacred GSB Temple, Boris. 🕍 @lasta
That makes perfect sense, but you see here outside the heinous cult life we live a harmonious, peaceful life where pride, boastfulness has no room. Does that not sound better to you where we all live in perfect harmony with each other and there is not need to try to outdo others. Peace out man.....
hippie GIF

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
That makes perfect sense, but you see here outside the heinous cult life we live a harmonious, peaceful life where pride, boastfulness has no room. Does that not sound better to you where we all live in perfect harmony with each other and there is not need to try to outdo others. Peace out man.....
hippie GIF
Boris, I like your moves, but for heaven's sake trim your beard and get a new shirt and pants.

Another very nice shave today. Starting to sound like a broken record. Soap and brush were Agrumes and the Elite lapis. Straight razor was the French rattler for (Faux) Frameback Friday. The DE was the FOCS again. Everything was flawless, finished with Myrsol Limon and my skin feels just dandy.

Before the DE experiment, I got in the habit of doing a lot of passes below the jaw at slightly different angles of attack to try to reduce those pesky whiskers to a level I could live with. It finally dawned on me that this is no longer necessary if I'm going to end up with a direct ATG cleanup pass with the DE on that area. So the last couple of days I've significantly consolidated my passes on the neck area. The closeness hasn't suffered at all and my skin is even happier than normal. Win/win.

Music today, I dialed up "Country Boy Rock and Roll" by Mary Stuart and Kenny Vaughn and then just let youtube music autoplay after that. Sometimes, it knows what I like. The rest of the playlist ended up being great: "Doing My Time" with Marty Stuart and Johnny Cash, "Laid Back Country Picker" by Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson's (original) version of "Me and Bobby McGee," "Swinging Doors" by Merle Haggard, "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?" by Waylon again, and then finished up with the Stanleys singing about that Old Mountain Dew as I was pulling into the parking garage. Great way to start a Friday.

Be well, everyone.
20240315_072334.jpg

Eric_75

Another very nice shave today. Starting to sound like a broken record. Soap and brush were Agrumes and the Elite lapis. Straight razor was the French rattler for (Faux) Frameback Friday. The DE was the FOCS again. Everything was flawless, finished with Myrsol Limon and my skin feels just dandy.

Before the DE experiment, I got in the habit of doing a lot of passes below the jaw at slightly different angles of attack to try to reduce those pesky whiskers to a level I could live with. It finally dawned on me that this is no longer necessary if I'm going to end up with a direct ATG cleanup pass with the DE on that area. So the last couple of days I've significantly consolidated my passes on the neck area. The closeness hasn't suffered at all and my skin is even happier than normal. Win/win.

Music today, I dialed up "Country Boy Rock and Roll" by Mary Stuart and Kenny Vaughn and then just let youtube music autoplay after that. Sometimes, it knows what I like. The rest of the playlist ended up being great: "Doing My Time" with Marty Stuart and Johnny Cash, "Laid Back Country Picker" by Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson's (original) version of "Me and Bobby McGee," "Swinging Doors" by Merle Haggard, "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?" by Waylon again, and then finished up with the Stanleys singing about that Old Mountain Dew as I was pulling into the parking garage. Great way to start a Friday.

Be well, everyone.View attachment 1812874
I've hung out with Kenny Vaughn a few times. :)

A lot to catch up on. A busy weekend, and I'm not firing on all cylinders lately (well, pretty much for months now but it's catching up with me). I did some experimentation, though, in the midst of all that.

Saturday, I think, the straight was my C-Mon Filarmonica. Just a wonderful shaver. Really. For the DE I used a shim in my Razorock Old Type. The blade was a Bic CP with at least one shave on it...not sure how many, it was still loaded in the RR but looked pretty clean. That was, really pretty good. More efficient for sure but not in any way uncomfortable. I'll be revisiting that setup again soon. I needed to be rather presentable, as I had a funeral to attend late morning, and a middle-school musical in the afternoon. So I did a few swipes with the FOCS to banish the last of the whiskers. It seems to get closer than any of the other DEs in my drawer, but honestly the RROT didn't leave much.

Sunday was an old Sheffield razor, probably started as a wedge and then reground to half hollow at some point. The maker's mark is Gradwell, not a lot of information out there but there is attestation to a cutler by that name operating in the mid 1850s. I had just done some honing on it the other day, experimenting with a new mid-range synthetic stone as part of my progression. The first couple passes were buttery smooth-- the more challenging ATG passes were not. Still in the range of acceptable, but not effortless. DE, continuing the theme, was the same Bic loaded into the OG Old Type, with a shim. This wasn't quite as exciting as the day before. I've noted before that the OG Old Type is reasonably efficient until it's not-- it struggles consistently, in the same spots, regardless of blade. Maybe it's me. But it's consistent enough to be predictable. I do think the shim did bump up the efficiency, but not enough to really address the trouble spots. Again, the FOCS swooped in to save the day.

Today was my Koraat, still one of my favorite straights, and it performed beautifully as always. I decided to do a thing I threatened to do several weeks ago: try the Razorock Mentor with a Feather. Full disclosure, I kind of hate this razor. It's always felt harsh, with the various PPI blades I tried in it...was almost unusable with a Personna...my take was, it *feels* more agressive but it doesn't seem to actually shave me any better.

So I had pretty low expectations coming in. Had the trusty FOCS on deck to take over if needed. But. It was...actually pretty good! I definitely used a very light touch, because a Feather always feels a little dangerous, regardless of the razor it's in. But at no point did it feel harsh or uncomfortable. Even going over the worst trouble spots. It didn't feel particularly safe or "inviting" like the Fatip Retro, but it shave about as close and comfortably. I did run the FOCS over just as a control-- and, it did pick up a handful of strays. But overall I would say that the level of closeness was about equal to the Fatip Retro. And I got there faster, for sure.

The real test was when I drenched myself with the Veg. Got some minor feedback, but not a lot. Not nearly as much as I've had with this razor with other blades. I suppose I owe it to myself to try a Bic in this one, too.

Hope everyone is well.

A lot to catch up on. A busy weekend, and I'm not firing on all cylinders lately (well, pretty much for months now but it's catching up with me). I did some experimentation, though, in the midst of all that.

Saturday, I think, the straight was my C-Mon Filarmonica. Just a wonderful shaver. Really. For the DE I used a shim in my Razorock Old Type. The blade was a Bic CP with at least one shave on it...not sure how many, it was still loaded in the RR but looked pretty clean. That was, really pretty good. More efficient for sure but not in any way uncomfortable. I'll be revisiting that setup again soon. I needed to be rather presentable, as I had a funeral to attend late morning, and a middle-school musical in the afternoon. So I did a few swipes with the FOCS to banish the last of the whiskers. It seems to get closer than any of the other DEs in my drawer, but honestly the RROT didn't leave much.

Sunday was an old Sheffield razor, probably started as a wedge and then reground to half hollow at some point. The maker's mark is Gradwell, not a lot of information out there but there is attestation to a cutler by that name operating in the mid 1850s. I had just done some honing on it the other day, experimenting with a new mid-range synthetic stone as part of my progression. The first couple passes were buttery smooth-- the more challenging ATG passes were not. Still in the range of acceptable, but not effortless. DE, continuing the theme, was the same Bic loaded into the OG Old Type, with a shim. This wasn't quite as exciting as the day before. I've noted before that the OG Old Type is reasonably efficient until it's not-- it struggles consistently, in the same spots, regardless of blade. Maybe it's me. But it's consistent enough to be predictable. I do think the shim did bump up the efficiency, but not enough to really address the trouble spots. Again, the FOCS swooped in to save the day.

Today was my Koraat, still one of my favorite straights, and it performed beautifully as always. I decided to do a thing I threatened to do several weeks ago: try the Razorock Mentor with a Feather. Full disclosure, I kind of hate this razor. It's always felt harsh, with the various PPI blades I tried in it...was almost unusable with a Personna...my take was, it *feels* more agressive but it doesn't seem to actually shave me any better.

So I had pretty low expectations coming in. Had the trusty FOCS on deck to take over if needed. But. It was...actually pretty good! I definitely used a very light touch, because a Feather always feels a little dangerous, regardless of the razor it's in. But at no point did it feel harsh or uncomfortable. Even going over the worst trouble spots. It didn't feel particularly safe or "inviting" like the Fatip Retro, but it shave about as close and comfortably. I did run the FOCS over just as a control-- and, it did pick up a handful of strays. But overall I would say that the level of closeness was about equal to the Fatip Retro. And I got there faster, for sure.

The real test was when I drenched myself with the Veg. Got some minor feedback, but not a lot. Not nearly as much as I've had with this razor with other blades. I suppose I owe it to myself to try a Bic in this one, too.

Hope everyone is well.
I hope the musical took your mind off of the loss.

I hope the musical took your mind off of the loss.
Yes, but also no.

One of my coworkers (actually, he reports to me) lost his 29 year old daughter, complications from an eating disorder she'd been battling for about half her life. I didn't know her... but it is a hard thing, with several children of my own, some with their own problems and traumas, because while it feels unimaginable, it's really not-- not so much-- when you realize that you can only do so much to protect your kids from themselves. So... watching one of my own daughters perform in the afternoon was bittersweet, to say the least.

On the flip side, I didn't have time to change clothes, so I was by far the best dressed guy at Frozen (Kids).

Eric_75

Yes, but also no.

One of my coworkers (actually, he reports to me) lost his 29 year old daughter, complications from an eating disorder she'd been battling for about half her life. I didn't know her... but it is a hard thing, with several children of my own, some with their own problems and traumas, because while it feels unimaginable, it's really not-- not so much-- when you realize that you can only do so much to protect your kids from themselves. So... watching one of my own daughters perform in the afternoon was bittersweet, to say the least.

On the flip side, I didn't have time to change clothes, so I was by far the best dressed guy at Frozen (Kids).
My condolences, Matt.

Hope everyone is well.
Even with my alignment issues with the RR Mentor I have come to actually like it a good bit. I agree that the blade feel is a bit scary, but really it is not that bad. I was also hesitant about it to begin with, but I guess you get used to it. Not sure I would be so daring to use it with a Feather though.

Yes, but also no.

I'm sorry for the loss, Matt. I hope your report gets through this.

Top Bottom