What's new

THE ONE POUND HANDLE on a safety razor?

Actually it's only (only!) 10.3 ounces. But I don't doubt we'll see a one pounder soon. This one is the fat guy, fourth from left. It's a Matador S5. A beast! For comparison purposes, left to right there is the ATT Atlas, the ATT Kronos, the ATT Collosus, the Matador S5, and the Feather AS-D2 handle. Also for size comparison there is the ATT head/plate for the ATT M1 and the head/plate for the AS-D2.

$2015-01-23 07.00.39-2.jpg

I've only tried it once on my ATT M1, so I'll be trying it more and on other razors, but I like it more than I expected.

AJ

Wow. I think the Maggard MR8 is only about half that weight. Does your arm get tired? You'd better be a two-handed shaver. It would look weird to only bulk up the one arm...

that seems like it would be unbalanced, to me.
I don't see the benefit. a little more heft in the head might be nice.

That could be the most ridiculous razor handle I have ever seen. What is the purpose of a 1lb handle?

What's next 95mm Badger brush?

Surprisingly, in first use, it never really occurred to me that it was uncomfortably heavy. Carrying a full scuttle from the kitchen by it's handle is much more uncomfortable. And, surprisingly, it didn't feel like a freak device in any way -- I think you would have to go much larger to really feel like you were holding a freak device. However, I wouldn't say the shave was any different than what I've been getting.

I'm just having some fun with it.

AJ

Yes, Sixp..., I forgot to mention that it is very well crafted; Without being a tool-head, my layman judgment is that it's equally well crafted with ATT, Feather, or the Weber Bulldog (my extraneous go-to handle I keep in my dresser). I'm not sure who makes it.

Quite interesting. Pun intended, I am unsure I could handle a handle that heavy. I looks well crafted for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom