What's new

The Official "Showing Your Age" Thread

1708817338985.png

1960 Schwinn heavy duty Wasp model. "Newsboy Special"

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but you're really showing your age if you can remember using a "wind up" phone, or phone numbers having a two letter "exchange" and a five digit number.

I know I am old when I mention things to younger generation that don’t involve TV, Wi-Fi, Internet, Electronics.

I drank from hose, rode bicycle with out helmet, use to go to city dump after school to shots rats, got there on foot carrying my .22 rifle, and ever boy of my age had pocket knife we took to school.

My first computer:
View attachment 1793869

First Crush ( joking - sorta):
View attachment 1793872

First Vehicle:
View attachment 1793874
Not this one, but a 55 Ford 100. Given to me, was my dads.
He was a Carpenter, run great. Though in a very used state.

First Live Concert:
Aerosmith played at my school, out the athletic field in 1972..

View attachment 1793880

First real sorta Job - under da table : Dishwasher at>
go thing I only did for the summer / was 15....
View attachment 1793883

And started sr wet shaving at 16 ...thanks DAD....(it his late 90's) and is also a daily shaver..
That is a lot of days....

BFX
First computer for me was a Commodore Vic 20 with tape drive… but we did have a pong console first.

Paying for ripped jeans. Purple, pink and different colored hair. I don’t think much about it when kids do it, but over 50, I just don’t get it. I was kidnapped and taken to a local home goods store the other day. We were walking down aisle and a woman of about 70 had bright pink hair. I made an audible sigh out of reflex. My wife just gave me the look. I am a bad hostage.

When I was young my Grandma told that you still feel like the same person when you get old, except your body starts falling apart and people around you start dying.

And now I understand exactly what she meant. :wheelchair:

I have had 6 friends all under the age of 65 pass in the last few months. It’s getting to the point I don’t want to check on anyone.
When I was young my Grandma told that you still feel like the same person when you get old, except your body starts falling apart and people around you start dying.

And now I understand exactly what she meant. :wheelchair:

Went out for a meal the Other night with Mrs McB and friends, didn't question the bill and paid for everyone in full and a tip. Not like me at all said Mrs McB, "meh, can't take it with ya".

I just visited some relatives with teenage daughters, and I literally could not stop telling them "when I was your age..."

I have had 6 friends all under the age of 65 pass in the last few months. It’s getting to the point I don’t want to check on anyone.
I know exactly how you feel...so I've been trying to get in contact with people I used to know/hang out with, before time runs out again.

IMG_9507 copy.jpeg

I am showing my age when I thought life was as good as it got back in high school. Looking back, wow what an upgrade it has been over the years.

My 1953 Dodge I drove all through high school. Great truck, indestructible. Flat head six, four on the floor, in-line glass filter for the gasoline, oil bath air filter, I hot wired it so did not need a key. Note the hood opens from both sides; no seatbelts - those were for sissies anyway. No turn signals so you signaled with your left arm out the window, not so much in the winter. This is parked in front of Montgomery Ward. A lot of fun adventures.

Worked construction all summers. My buddies worked fast food and made $2.00 / hour. I did manual labor all three years for a summer job and could not believe I was making $2.50 / hour. Was under age the first summer, only fifteen years old. The owner of the construction company got nose to nose with me on the first day. "If the inspector comes by and asks, you are (starts nodding up and down) sixteen years old and (starts nodding back and forth side ways) you don't have your driver's license."

Well many things have changed, in the old days Soldiers use to have to earn Berets, Red, Green, or Black.

Today they issue ever Soldier a Beret.
Not only that, but they eliminated most of the hard physical stuff from airborne school, including the five mile run at the end. Now the EFMB is easier so more can pass. It was a high honor at one time and most didn't pass. They took the black beret from the Rangers and gave it to everyone. Now, everybody gets a trophy.

Top Bottom