What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

Here's a fun razor I picked up recently ...

proxy.php

proxy.php

It's aluminium, so super-lightweight, blade it tightly clamped with a very small gap, leaving the comb to do its thing - it was a comfortable shave.

The markings are: C.C.1118 WJM 45 ^

C.C.1118 is Command Centre 1118
WJM is WJ Myatt - the manufacturer
45, the date
^ Government/Military

Other razors with similar markings exist, dates slightly different, perhaps a different Command Centre, perhaps a different manufacturer.

Man I really like that razor! Perfect , no frills, all business shaving device! :thumbup1:

@pjgh & @jankdc - excellent additions to the thread.

I just love seeing these obscure brands and even no brands.

Expect a couple of additions from me shortly.:001_cool:

This is a razor with enamel on the cap and handle. It's really beautiful, but more of a looker than a shaver. The only markings on it is what I believe is DORE and metal. The cap is really thin, and unfortunately is warped. I did not get a good shave and got bit too much.
View attachment 519728View attachment 519729

Very nice ! I believe I've found its brother (not in my possession though), "Emailor", Made ine France :

$Rasoir-EMAILOR-de-surete-ancien-de-collection-1-bric-a-brac-sur-la-toile-76.JPG

$Rasoir-EMAILOR-de-surete-ancien-de-collection-2-bric-a-brac-sur-la-toile-76.JPG

$Rasoir-EMAILOR-de-surete-ancien-de-collection-3-bric-a-brac-sur-la-toile-76.JPG

In French, "enamel" is "émail" so the brand "Emailor" seems to fit !

I just love seeing these obscure brands and even no brands.

How about these two, then?

First, and open comb/solid bar:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

It's a Punktal-style head, but not a Punktal. Two piece. I've sent it to my plating guy to see what he can do with it. Hopefully it will come back sparkling :thumbup:

Next, similar style ... a slant:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Very mild shave, this one. It's a simple three-piece.

Regarding my Personna razor:

I want very badly to try one of those out, but I have NEVER seen one in "useable" condition come up on eBay, or anywhere, really. I'd like to compare it to the LASSC BBS-1, as it looks to have been at least partial inspiration for that razor. Personna must not have made very many...

It's going to kill you when I say this was the ugly duckling in a 'Collection of Razors' I procured for £10! The star of that collection was a gorgeous Ever Ready DeLuxe heavy flat top. There was also a near mint seven day Wilkinson Sword Pall Mall set, a vintage Wilkinson Sword double edge razor from 1908, some junk, this razor and that open comb British military razor.

It is a good shave and well worth hunting down.

Regarding my open comb British military razor:

Man I really like that razor! Perfect , no frills, all business shaving device! :thumbup1:

Quickly produced, good standard, even blade exposure. Yes, indeed! It does what a razor should do, very spartan, but I guess equipping that many men in such a short space of time was quite a task.

Very nice. I have heard that they are nice shavers. Have you shaved with it yet? Is the shave similar to a Tech?

Very nice find!
In England, they sold the same razor using the PAL brand. I have one of those, but I have never shaved with it. I'm with Guru: I'd love to know if you have shaved with it and if so what you think of it as a shaver ...
I will use it when I get around to using my Techs that I have not used. I have a couple of TTO's to use yet and then I will start on the techs. I will use it first. Start tuned

Good catch, Roderick!

Go VERY careful with the plating - it is VERY thin!

For clean-up, very gently wipe WD-40 over. Don't think about scrubbing it or using an overly abrasive cloth to polish. Yellow duster and WD-40 should do it.

In England, they sold the same razor using the PAL brand. I have one of those, but I have never shaved with it. I'm with Guru: I'd love to know if you have shaved with it and if so what you think of it as a shaver ...

I just sold a Star last week ... a couple of weeks previous, I sold the PAL (in a fetching red box). There was also a Personna in this guise, rather than the one I pictured above.

As a shave, much akin to a Tech.

One point to note, the PAL had a heavy cap, same weight as the Star but the baseplate was light (aluminium?) and thinner than the Star. The handle was also light. The Star has some heft.

For the sake of pictures, here's the PAL:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Good catch, Roderick!

Go VERY careful with the plating - it is VERY thin!

For clean-up, very gently wipe WD-40 over. Don't think about scrubbing it or using an overly abrasive cloth to polish. Yellow duster and WD-40 should do it.

I just sold a Star last week ... a couple of weeks previous, I sold the PAL (in a fetching red box). There was also a Personna in this guise, rather than the one I pictured above.

As a shave, much akin to a Tech.

One point to note, the PAL had a heavy cap, same weight as the Star but the baseplate was light (aluminium?) and thinner than the Star. The handle was also light. The Star has some heft.

For the sake of pictures, here's the PAL:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
The razor looks very clean and there is no plating loss. I week treat it very gently. Thank you

Is this a Rotbart?

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1416445894690.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1416445894690.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 247
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1416446237485.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1416446237485.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 247
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1416446266589.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1416446266589.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 388
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1416446335610.jpg