What's new

The Limes Dilemma

I really like the idea of a having a lime frag in my lineup. However, none of them seem to last on me (I know, lime is the most fleeting citrus EO, but I'm talking I can't seem to find any that last for even 1 hour). I find it hard to justify buying a bottle of juice that isn't going to last beyond my morning tea. To make matters worse, the two I like best of the ones I've tried so far are T&H WIL and Floris Limes Classic. $70 or $115 for a fleeting whiff of delicious limes?!?! It would be cheaper to just bake some lime tarts every week to get my fix.

What would you do in my situation? Are there lime frags that are similar to these two that aren't quite so expensive? I've tried Royall Lyme (meh) and MB Spicy Lime (Royall Lyme clone, unbeknownst to me at time of order--also meh), but I don't know of other less expensive limes.

I haven't tried it, but can someone weigh in on Clubman Lime Sec AS?.... I'm suggesting it only because Clubman has such legendary longevity... and it's cheap. Clubman is having a sale on 2oz travel size bottles right now for under $2. Not sure if Lime Sec is among them.

I haven't tried it, but can someone weigh in on Clubman Lime Sec AS?.... I'm suggesting it only because Clubman has such legendary longevity... and it's cheap. Clubman is having a sale on 2oz travel size bottles right now for under $2. Not sure if Lime Sec is among them.

Just ordered that and the Citrus Musk after seeing the sale thread, so I'll report back with my findings.

GFT is my favorite Limes scent. What kind of staying power are you looking for? I get whiffs of GFT Limes (I use the AS and EDT) throughout the day, though I never really noticed just how long it actually lasts. I can't say for certain at what point I no longer notice it.

Crabtree and Evelyn West Indian Lime works for me. I hasten to add that I am blessed in the sense (scents?) that colognes tend to stay on my skin for a long time.
Dan

I've been told that Anglia Perfumery's Imperial Lime is a great scent that lasts longer, but I've never tried it.

Here's one for you, though: Monsieur by Balmain. Nice citrus opening, great scent overall. Last the better part of about 4 or 5 hours on me, even with a sparse application. They carry it at Colonial Drug. Oh, and it's a fraction of the cost of the ones you mentioned.

Try Taylor #74 Victorian Lime. It's probably one of the best lime scents that lasts on my person. I think it's still under $40.

To my nose (and wallet), The Shave Den makes the best pure lime EDT out there. Close your eyes and you'd swear you were smelling an actual lime. It's just pure lime scent, nothing sweet or candy-ish about it. It has good staying power (best of many that I've tried) and the price is right. As noted tho, no lime really lasts that long. As a bonus, you can also order up the matching shave soap or cream and aftershave.

As for commercially available lime, my fav (and a source of many compliments) is C&E West Indies Lime. But, this is not a pure lime. In fact, the lime notes evaporate fairly quickly and you are left with a very nice light musky scent.

To my nose (and wallet), The Shave Den makes the best pure lime EDT out there. Close your eyes and you'd swear you were smelling an actual lime. It's just pure lime scent, nothing sweet or candy-ish about it. ..

OP said he likes T&H WIL (as do I), so it seems unlikely that he's looking for a one-note lime scent like you've described (but I could be wrong).

The best limes scent (with staying power) that I've found is i Profumi di Firenze's Agrumi di Sicilia. It used to be inexpensive, but not any more. You might be able to get a decent sized decant from The Perfumed Court for a nominal amount.

But the trick (at least with this one) is to apply it to your undershirt. Applying it to your skin and the limes evaporate in a few hours and your left with more of a "lime blossom" scent.

Applying to the undershirt might work for other limes scents, too. It's not recommend to apply to your outer shirt - citrus can have a bleaching effect, especially when exposed to the sun.

Ah - the quest for a lime scent that lasts - I'm in the exact same boat :biggrin:

I bought some lime sec online after smelling it on my way out of a store - wish I would have applied some to my skin first and I'm not sure why I didn't. The lime lasts about 2 minutes on me and dries down to a rather unpleasant (in my opinion) undescribable odor.

This may seem obvious, but what women have done for generations is to apply a little moisture to the spot(s) where fragrance was applied to revive and rejuvenate it. Works for guys too. I've done this on occasion with Royall Lyme AS and it works well.

You can always try layering your lime frag together; lime shave soap, lime splash, lime asb, followed by lime EDT.(it still wont make you Limecat or Limey though!):biggrin:

marty

I don't have it, but I've read reviews that say TOBS has a really nice lime scent that lasts a long time. While there were some mixed opinions about the longevity, most seemed to say that it lasted much longer than other lime scents. Another nice thing about Taylor products is that they are relatively inexpensive. It might be worth a try. I'm planning on giving it a go next summer.

Top Bottom