What's new

The Le Maurice razor from Atelier Durdan

I'll try the Le Maurice tomorrow and see how that goes. The only other 2.00 gap razor I own is the Wolfman WR2, and that's still pretty mild for such a large gap. That's also an open comb so it will make a great head to head comparison. I guess I'll do one side with the WR2 and the other side with the Le Maurice.
Tell us how the shaving goes 👍

Well the verdict is in!!! Shaved my left side first with the WR2 and first pass was the familiar sensation of the open comb doing its job. Then I took the blade out and swapped it in the Le Maurice and proceeded to shave the right side. Maybe I was still dreaming but it almost seemed like the Le Maurice was more efficient which I was not expecting. This isn't the best test as my face was still smooth from shaving less than 12 hours ago.

There was no sharp edges from the teeth that I expected might be an issue. If anything it seemed smoother than the WR2, maybe due to the less blade exposure.

On Thursday I used a Karve F plate open comb and mistakenly used a Yates 'merica top cap (looks similar to Karve and it actually fit!!!) but that is similar to the Le Maurice in that the teeth feel rough on the hands but when actually shaving it's smooth.

All in all I'm super happy with the Le Maurice and can't wait to use it after 2-3 days of growth.

So far the Vestige and the Le Maurice have impressed me, next is the La Faulx

I’m considering a Le Maurice as I love the La Faulx. Have a Vestige on the way as I don’t currently have a Gem style razor. Wondering about gap options. For reference I like the efficiency level of my Blackbird, Yates H, and Chors. You guys that have the Maurice did you think I should be looking in the 1.4-1.8 gap range? Don’t want to go too crazy but I understand these are on the milder side for such a large gap.

I’m considering a Le Maurice as I love the La Faulx. Have a Vestige on the way as I don’t currently have a Gem style razor. Wondering about gap options. For reference I like the efficiency level of my Blackbird, Yates H, and Chors. You guys that have the Maurice did you think I should be looking in the 1.4-1.8 gap range? Don’t want to go too crazy but I understand these are on the milder side for such a large gap.
Only having the 2.0 I can't speak about the other gaps, but if I were to guess I'd think you're spot on with that idea of it being in the 1.4-1.8 gap range.

You can use 1.8 very well if you use Stando Chors... but I'll tell you 2.0 too without any problems
The Maurices all have 0.5 blade exposure, therefore a fixed exposure... nothing beastly

Le Maurice is unique in that it keeps the same exposure, regardless of gap. Augustin does that by making the baseplates wider as the gap increases. Thus it is quite different than other razors where as gap increases so does exposure and neutral becomes more and more steep.

I suppose it does make sense that a 0.20 blade gap with the same blade exposure wouldn't make a world of a difference when comparing the 1.80 with the 2.00. Still, I wish I would have waited a bit longer if I knew a 2.00 gap version is coming out, but there's no point in crying over spilled milk as they say :D .

I have La Faulx with + and ++ plates. This is phenomenal razor and volumes have already been written here about it. I'm considering supplementing it with Le Maurice purchase but I'm not sure which gap to chose. I'd like for that razor shave as close ( in feel) to La Fault + as possible. That being said, which gap would you guys recommend?

I can't compare to the Le Faulx, sorry. There was a Le Maurice passaround here, but that thread has been deleted. There was also one on a different forum. We got to try the following gaps - 0.8, 1.0, 1.2, 1.4. Folks generally found the 0.8mm gap to be the least smooth. Anecdotally, I found the 1.2mm gap to be the best for me and I bought that head later. Just sharing to try to help you.

IMG_0630.jpeg

Wonderfully smooth, comfortable, and efficient 🤩

Top Bottom