What's new

The Journal Of Huck...

So I made it to Calgary with no issues...other than it snowed here. Sigh. Supposed to snow some more as well. Don't think it will affect the driving, the roads seem pretty clear. Going to my consultation tomorrow and then a lunch with my old friend who's suffering with Parkinsons. looking forward to tomorrow.
Had a great dinner with my mom and brother. Mom is forgetting stuff but she's also 94 so she gets a lot of slack.
My brother surprises me with a Batman#19 from 1943. I always liked Batman and collected the comics as well. But this...wow!
Cheers!

View attachment 1838767
That is really cool. Is that your earliest Batman comic?

Batman is the only superhero that I really get interested in.
big bang theory sheldon GIF

That is really cool. Is that your earliest Batman comic?
Yes and the ONLY Batman comic I have as well. The others disappeared decades ago. What I like about this is it's the "linear" Batman. Not the Batman of some other "Universe" or part of a "What if?" series. My brother was telling me they now put out issues with different covers and artwork of the same issue. So you're now into the "variants".
Also when I was 9-10 all these great Marvel comics came out like Spiderman. Spiderman #1 recently sold for over 1 million dollars. Damn, I wish someone had told me about the possibilities back then. I could've had 1-10 of all the Marvel heroes.

I'll bet many of us lament the things our Mother's threw away over the years. Comics, baseball cards, etc. We moved a lot when I was a kid.... Lots of things didn't make the moves with us.
One of my friend's mother threw away all her art from her high school years. They were moving and she had the art in a black trashbag on her bed, because she had nothing else to put it in. You guessed it, her mother came by thinking it was trash and without looking in it, threw it away. When she came for it she realized what her mother did and was crushed. I knew her in her early 40's, I asked her if she drew after that and she said no, she didn't have the motivation any longer.

Today was the first day of my consultation and everything went well. Back to morrow for the final piece of discussion about the results. S/B ok.
Then it was off to have lunch with an old friend and his sister. I got the the mall where the restaurant was and noticed there was a nice looking cigar "boutique". I went in and bought 4 sticks and a very cool cigar punch. Did I need one...no.
Then I saw my friend Tom's brothers wife so I guessed she was joining us as well. Her husband (another friend) died about 10 years ago.
Then I saw Toms sister come in w/o Tom. I guess he was asleep and that was that. Ok, did the reminiscing with the ladies and had lunch. Then the sister decides she's going back to where Tom's staying (long term care) which is close and gets him. They both come back and they had told me what to expect. Tom was down to 100lb, couldn't talk, co-ordination was shaky and that's what Parkinsons does to you.
He orders and has lunch as well. We're talking and telling stories keeping Tom involved, his mind is still good so he knew what we were referencing etc. Did another 2 hours and it was time to wrap it up. Helped them out to the car and got Tom squared away in the front seat. Told him that all those days, weeks, months and years of us hanging out, golfing, drinking, working etc were some of the best times and memories that I have ever had. And I meant it. He heard me and we shook hands and said our goodbyes.
Really glad I saw him/them and hopefully I'll be able to see them again before the inevitable.
Tomorrow I'm seeing some more old acquaintances and then it's the long drive back home.
It's been snowing since I got here, more today and tomorrow. Sigh. Friday when I leave is supposed to be sunny and warmer.
It's been a good trip and I should be able to expand on the consultation aspect after my final briefing is done so that's good.
Shaves on the trip have been with my ShaveIt "Shadow" with a Perma-Sharp blade. Very nice combo. Proraso tube soap, travel brush and a collapsible dog dish for my lather bowl. all good.
Cheers!

darth-vader-vader.gif

❤️❤️❤️ The Force...baby

Sounds like a good visit, Don. I pray all goes well with the consultation, and snow in May, Beartooth Highway is a pass in Montana/Wyoming border, it opens after Memorial Day and closes in mid September, otherwise, it is snowed in. It is at 11k feet though.

Back from Calgary, the drive was uneventful but the weather was unsettled. Still some snow on the ground. the consultations went well. What I'm doing is looking into a new procedure (it's been around for a decade) called PAE. Prostratic Artery Embolization. It involves injecting micro spheres into arteries going into the prostate gland. These spheres cause a partial blockage in the arteries and vessels which reduces the blood flow to the prostate. What happens is because of this reduced blood flow, the gland shrinks. And you're able to pee easier and empty the bladder more fully which leads to better sleep with far fewer trips to the head and not always wondering where a WC is when you're out and about. So no lasers or cutting involved. Yay. There an incision and an injection of the spores. You go home the next day. Currently there are no doctors doing this in Sask. Not surprised. Now just waiting for a few days to call and hopefully schedule the final appointment to get this done and off the pills etc

The meeting with my friend Tom went well but he is so changed due to the Parkinsons. Cant speak, bad balance, shakes and weighs 100 lb. So skeletal is the description I guess. But you can see the guy he used to be in his eyes. Very aware, able to understand what's going on and not happy about it. He was there with his sister, the widow of his brother (another friend of mine) and we had a pretty good lunch with lots of reminiscing and laughs. No pics because I knew he'd hate that.

The next reunion was with people I worked and played sports with. That went really well. I got in touch with, organized and got them to meet up and then...totally forgot to get a pic of us together. They say you get smarter and have more wisdom the older you get. With me that's not always the case. Sigh.

It seems we all have a "table" we sit at. As we grow there's more seats added as we meet and care for others through school, work, marriage, sports events, holidays, hobbies and so on. As we go along our various paths some of the seats are emptied, put away or forgotten about. When we enter our later years the chairs start to empty at an alarming rate. For those we lose we can re-visit their chairs and remember them or the chairs are removed and leave gaps which we may or may not want to acknowledge. I have, as do we all, plenty of empty seats at my table. However, after this trip I can at least say that the people I got to see and talk to are still in their places and hopefully will remain until I can see them again.

Now I got the inks I'd ordered through Pure Pens so I'll be replacing the black ink in 5 pens and putting what I consider to be a good colour in each pen that I feel represents something about each pens particular "personality".

I also received two hats from Rengars Hats and I caution you all to avoid that company. I shoulda done my due diligence and did not. Which resulted in two poor quality hats which I'm not even going to return. They're going to Value Village or into the bin. I let them know what I thought of their product and don't care if they get back to me or not.

Todays shave was the third with the Shield Gem and the blade. What a nice razor. Because of Larrys review of the Shield SS DE, I'm probably going to add that razor as well.
I used my Rambler soap, one of my Zenith boars which I loaded from the container and face lathered. It worked but I still believe the boars are best at hard soap/mug lathering. The Shield is just a great addition to my collection. And I have blades coming for Connaughts as well.
That's it for now, have a great weekend!
Cheers!

0-1.jpeg

That's my pal Tom on the left, with me next to him, a guy we worked with and another one of Tom's brothers.

Hope that procedure helps Huck!
Luckily we live in a time where more options exist in order to help us. I've gotta read about that procedure as it seems interesting.
Sorry about you're friend, the older we get, the more we have to see out loved ones experiencing issues as such. Right now I'm dealing with my dad starting to go through the beginnings of Dimentia and it's tough. And I know as the years go by it'll get worse. I'm hoping that some advanced procedure comes out at some point before he gets really bad.
About the Shield DE, glad my review made a difference. It's so so good for the price (for me).
Hope it gives you the same results!
Nice thing about those Shield's is that you can take the chance without draining the bank.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Huck. I hope the procedure is a success.

I know what it’s like to have a close friend succumb to the effects of aging. My best friend has Vascular Dementia. It’s such a struggle for him.

Another close friend has Parkinson’s. That’s a tough gig.

A big thank you to all the guys who've helped enable my foray into fountain pens and inks. Especially Boris @blethenstrom and John @cajunrph
Got my 5 new colours and finished flushing and refilling 4 pens with new colours. It's too much fun...actually makes me want to write letters etc. I have a Lamy 2000 coming which will get the last new colour.
Now I have to figure out who else to write to. Will have to suffice with journaling for the time being. Interesting to have 4 different colours in the same entry though.
When I went to Calgary I took my journal and 4 pens to chronicle my stay. It's really quite nice and comforting to know that fountain pens are still being used and enjoyed.

9bcf90955632ea8627ede8b8820e9d3f_w200.gif

Top Bottom