What's new

The Five Pass Test

I dont know. People here on b&b are comparing brushes for soaps vs creams, bowl lathering vs face lathering just like as it was a space engineering. I've been wetshaving since from 17 and I just soak my brush for about half minute, sprinkle some water on the soap, lets say tabac, wait only half minute at max, swirl the brush maybe 6-7 seconds and face lather. This give me enough thick leather for more than 4 passes. If bowl lathering I just load the brush a bit more. But thats all. Loading the brush for 15 seconds, making lather for 16 passes, no offense but I really dont see the logic.

Every brushes of mine makes nice lather, doesnt care if they are premium, cheap, boar, badger, horse hair. I dont like making gobs of lather as I see it wasting the product. But other than that I really cant see a difficulty on making lather. Also superlathering? Good products, like taylors avacado already give superlather, dont see the need of it. Maybe for the average performing soaps ha?

Only 6-7 seconds? That has never worked for me. In fact I used to lather the same way as you but I'd load longer for about 10-15 seconds and I'd have enough quality lather for only two passes; I'd always have to go back to the soap (Tabac and others). I mostly use medium sized badger and boar brushes. With the lathering method mentioned in the original post and in the sticky the lather quality stays consistent for three and more passes.

Only 6-7 seconds? That has never worked for me. In fact I used to lather the same way as you but I'd load longer for about 10-15 seconds and I'd have enough quality lather for only two passes; I'd always have to go back to the soap (Tabac and others). I mostly use medium sized badger and boar brushes. With the lathering method mentioned in the original post and in the sticky the lather quality stays consistent for three and more passes.

Yep. Actually 10-15 seconds is too much for me. Lather overkill. Maybe its because of the water, I always thought my water was hard water, but it may be the opposite. Today I shaved with my beloved taylors avocado cream, only lightly loaded my omega pure for 2 seconds, literally, really. Believe me brush was heavily water soaked, but with some brush work and again lots of thick creamy lather enough for 4 passes. I also use medium sized brushes generally and use swirling motion most of the time.

ps. I not so gentle with my brushes when it comes to lathering.

Top Bottom