What's new

The Fascinating Development Story Of The Gillette Mach 3, The 'Best' Cartridge Razor Ever (?)

I recieved a Gillette Mach 3 some time ago, and still unused, I have been examining it.

It's the Gillette Turbo Mach 3, made in Germany, a solid metal handle. Nice uncluttered feel. I may start using it as my main non DE.

Here is a very interesting detailed article on the Mach 3, it's development, and just how a military/scientific campaign - like feel Gillette used in the early 90's to bring this to fruition and to market.

MACH 3: Anatomy of Gillette's Latest Global Launch - https://www.strategy-business.com/article/16651

Anyone else enjoy their Mach 3?
I have a couple of them. Both samples that were mailed to our home around the time it was launched. One is still in its package unopened with a 2001 copyright date. As someone who started shaving with DE razors who moved on to electrics I did try the first sample with some Barbesol out of curiosity and thought it was OK. Didn't sense it delivered anything better than the DE shaves from years earlier or the rare disposable razor shave during travel when the electric didn't make it into my travel bag. As a result I went back to my Norelco triple header razor.

Recall getting a Shick Quattro sample a few years later that was never used. Never saw a Fusion razor sample so am guessing that under P&G Gillette's new product introduction strategy is now different and likely more targeted in the current era of social media marketing.

Interesting how the Mach 3 is now positioned as Gillette's lower end razor in the U.S.

Have you ever shaved with a Mach 3 and if so what are your thoughts on it?

Thank you for posting the link, interesting read.

I spent over a decade shaving with Mach 3 every day and it wasn't a particularly memorable experience. Still it got me through university, my first proper job interview and wedding day. I then spent a few years with Hydro 5 but unsure why I thought it was better (that silly flip strip was annoying) before going back to Mach 3 then discovering the benefits of DE razors.

I plan on using my Mach 3 in a week or two. It still has a good blade in it, with the strip still blue.

But since it has been this way for a few years now, I will give it the benefit of a new blade.

It will be interesting to revisit, sine I have not shaved with it since returning to DE razors.

I don't remember anything particularly outstanding about it. It givd me a decent enough shave but that was about it.

My main beef was that because of the cost of the cartridges, I would tend to use it for many weeks. So the shave was not exceptionally good.

I really only purchased it when I could no longer buy a Trac II. Interestingly enough. I rather recently discovered that a real Gillette authorized reproduction is made in India under the Gillette 7-O'clock brand. It is called the PII. Blades are still packaged the same way and run about $1 each in moderate quantities.

I shaved with it easier in the year and came away quite pleased with the results. I am using it with the same blade again this week. Shaved just a bit ago.

I will shave with the Mach 3 in a few weeks to compare it with the PII and my DE blades.

Last edited:
I have a couple of them. Both samples that were mailed to our home around the time it was launched. One is still in its package unopened with a 2001 copyright date. As someone who started shaving with DE razors who moved on to electrics I did try the first sample with some Barbesol out of curiosity and thought it was OK. Didn't sense it delivered anything better than the DE shaves from years earlier or the rare disposable razor shave during travel when the electric didn't make it into my travel bag. As a result I went back to my Norelco triple header razor.

Recall getting a Shick Quattro sample a few years later that was never used. Never saw a Fusion razor sample so am guessing that under P&G Gillette's new product introduction strategy is now different and likely more targeted in the current era of social media marketing.

Interesting how the Mach 3 is now positioned as Gillette's lower end razor in the U.S.

Thank you for posting the link, interesting read.
I shaved with it tonight, coincidentally. I saw a few new posts on the thread and thought I would give it a run.
IMG_20230430_221533378.jpg

Ha ha, what to say?

Firstly, I 'respect' the razor. It was created in 1998, when Gillette was still a real independent giant, and not some empty brand name owned by Proctor & Gamble as nowadays.

It's probably the last well-regarded cartridge razor, from what I can gather from feelings on the forum.

It actually shaves excellently, if you use a hybrid of DE shaving techniques and apply it to a Mach 3 shave. Shaving cream or soap, a brush and continuing to pay attention to growth direction of beard.

Using those techniques, in a three pass shave, I got to BBS.

It's just soulless. That's the odd thing.

It's a bit of stretch to expect mystical revelations from a shave, but I didn't get the odd but palpable satisfaction I get from using a vintage,

I used the Mach 3 for a long time after finding the Power version. They always gave me a decent shave. Then when the handle died I picked up the Fusion Power and didn't care for the expense of it all. It's what pushed me into DE razors.

I still have a number of cartridges for each, but haven't used them for 3-4 months now. I'll keep one on hand for travel, but that's about it.

I still really like the Mach 3. I used it while on vacation camping out for a week about a month or so ago. Worked great with EOS shaving cream I picked up from Walmart. And it's still my favorite to shave my head with.

I don't know what the difference is between the mach 3 and mach 3 turbo but I've been using the same mach 3 handle for, really I have no idea. Over a decade at least. Maybe 15 years or close to 20? When ever it was I switch from buzzing my head with a trimmer to shaving it.

I don't even know what materials it's made from. I assume the black is plastic. It's all still intact. I like the length and shape of the handle for shaving my head.

It's just soulless. That's the odd thing.
Did it even suck the joy out of the Palmolive? I would use the Gillette classic foam and still have a few old cans which are now past their expiry date and don't squirt properly but are good enough for my youngest to play pretend shaving with. Unless he eats the foam or it gives horrible skin burns...

Did it even suck the joy out of the Palmolive? I would use the Gillette classic foam can and still have a few old tins which are now past their expiry date and don't squirt properly but are good enough for my youngest to play pretend shaving with.
Nothing can diminish the joys of Palmolive Classic, Brother @Alexland !

It made the experience somewhat more enjoyable, shall we say.

That Gillette Classic may be sellable on the BST forum, as the scent apparently has been ruined in the new formulation.

A nice way to use it with your youngest, and probably the best use for it. Hope it encourages DE shaving down the line!

Last edited:
I still really like the Mach 3. I used it while on vacation camping out for a week about a month or so ago. Worked great with EOS shaving cream I picked up from Walmart. And it's still my favorite to shave my head with.
I like it too @jason2

It's a good performer, and it has a growing heritage, getting to be up there with the Trac 2.

An excellent shaving tool which will give a great result indeed.

Maybe the best of the cartridges, and lot of thought and energy brought it to market, with deserving success.

Nice article. Thanks for posting!

I was a Bic disposable user until I splurged on the Sensor Excel, which I liked much better. At some point I tried the Trac II and preferred the Excel. Then just as I was settling into the Sensor Excel and rationalizing the cost of the carts, boom, here came Gillette with the latest and greatest, the M3, which was even more expensive. I figured it was all hype and was put off by the price so I stuck with the Excel.

I was well into DE shaving when a review praising the M3 caught my eye and I decided to give it a try. I really don't like Gillette and I wish this wasn't the case, but for me the M3 is the best non-DE razor; the Sensor Excel and Fusion aren't bad, but all the other multiblades (Harry's, Dollar Shave Club, no-name disposables) suck in comparison to the M3.

I think that Gillette is huge on hype and marketing, but, I also think that their R&D has paid off as they have brought us some great products -- the DE razor and blades being an example.

I still think that the M3 carts are way overpriced, and I wish that a nice metal handle was an option, but for me the M3 is the king of the "modern" choices.

I recieved a Gillette Mach 3 some time ago, and still unused, I have been examining it.

It's the Gillette Turbo Mach 3, made in Germany, a solid metal handle. Nice uncluttered feel. I may start using it as my main non DE.

Here is a very interesting detailed article on the Mach 3, it's development, and just how a military/scientific campaign - like feel Gillette used in the early 90's to bring this to fruition and to market.

MACH 3: Anatomy of Gillette's Latest Global Launch - https://www.strategy-business.com/article/16651

Anyone else enjoy their Mach 3?
Very Interesting. I plan on giving The Mach 3 a go for a head shave in the future. I've used 2 bladed carts for head shaves with great results. I don't care for the 5 blades no life to the cart and tugging. Next logical step is to try the 3 bladed ones.

I think that Gillette is huge on hype and marketing, but, I also think that their R&D has paid off as they have brought us some great products -- the DE razor and blades being an example.
I always struggle to understand how companies can spend so much R&D money over so many years to develop a product when the end result seems pretty basic and simple. With razors it feels like there's a low barrier to entry to designing something well if you have a good idea or are creative. I appreciate there's then the cost of tooling, gearing up for high volume production, marketing agencies, etc.

This user has something different to say about the Mach 3...

A little TL;DR, but worth the read.
Interesting. Thanks for posting it!

I've been curious about the Guard for a long time and finally broke down and ordered one. It's on a slow boat from India so it will be a while before I see it, if I ever see it. I've heard Guard fans say it beats the Mach3. Heck, I've heard Guard fans say it beats a DE!

This user has something different to say about the Mach 3...

A little TL;DR, but worth the read.
Interesting read, thanks for re-posting it.

An interesting account of the problems of marketing new and expensive systems in a vast and diverse country with a completely different economic reality.

I'm pretty much drowning in razors, heck I even have a nice minty Canadian Shick E3 injector I haven't used yet, so no big urge to try the Guard. I have heard good things indeed though. The only possible issues I see with it are the handle weight, which could be a little beefier, and limited choice of re-supply of the Guard blades. In the UK, they seem to be exclusively available only on the Bay, so if that dries up..

P&G long ago lost interest in the Mach 3, and the blades are now copied as the patent has long expired. I can get a 4 tray of Mach 3 compatible blades for £4 at a UK chain called Wilko. (They do a good line in shaving gear) So I can run a Mach 3 for about £48 a year if I changed blades once a week. Pretty reasonable in the wet shaving scheme of things.

I still enjoy the M3, and if used with the same methods and software as a DE shave, I get a SSF result. It's still a solid respected cart system, and it's slipping into nostalgia-land which gives it a warm fuzzy glow.

That said, I still use my 1950's English Tech for travel in the UK and camping almost exclusively still.

Last edited:
Reactions: tm3
Top Bottom