What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

53-1-26.jpg

It's funny, but I've never wanted a recliner. We had one at home when I was a kid, and it was fine, but I like a chair that feels as though it will support me no matter what I do -- one that holds still, in other words. My small couch does that, and I once had a leather "club" armchair and still do have a Mission-style that I will go back to someday soon. Both were solid and snug.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's funny, but I've never wanted a recliner. We had one at home when I was a kid, and it was fine, but I like a chair that feels as though it will support me no matter what I do -- one that holds still, in other words. My small couch does that, and I once had a leather "club" armchair and still do have a Mission-style that I will go back to someday soon. Both were solid and snug.
Recliners have come a long way. I have a very comfortable wing back recliner that is extremely stable in the upright position. It takes a push on the arms while leaning back to get it to move out of the sitting position.
Prior to this one (which is due to be replaced in a couple of years) was a recliner/rocker, which in upright position was a great rocker, but which locked the rocker when you pushed back to recline.

Recliners have come a long way. I have a very comfortable wing back recliner that is extremely stable in the upright position. It takes a push on the arms while leaning back to get it to move out of the sitting position.
Prior to this one (which is due to be replaced in a couple of years) was a recliner/rocker, which in upright position was a great rocker, but which locked the rocker when you pushed back to recline.
Yeah, the recliner I knew was a long time ago. Still, if I recline in my chair, I'm probably going to fall asleep, or want to. And leaning back as far as the guy in the ad would make it hard to read or even watch TV.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Mrs. C bought me a new recliner several years back, after one of the puppies chewed up old faithful, a scuffed one I plucked out of Boscov's discount room in the early 90s for $250. That one was like an old friend for many years, big and broad and comfortable.

The new one is a nice enough fancy leather one. And I do rest in it, and generally prefer to smoke my pipes there. But if I fall asleep in it, it's a stiff awakening.

But we have a couple Lane club chairs upstairs that we had custom made about 35-40 years ago. Elegant pattern soft green cloth and comfy like sitting in a giant cloud. I fall right asleep in those, sitting up. Because they're cloth, I don't smoke my pipe in them. Too risky. Perhaps in another life.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

Back in the day, there was no Internet, there was no app.

Then, you found it in the Yellow Pages.

53-2-2.jpg

Mrs. C bought me a new recliner several years back, after one of the puppies chewed up old faithful, a scuffed one I plucked out of Boscov's discount room in the early 90s for $250. That one was like an old friend for many years, big and broad and comfortable.

The new one is a nice enough fancy leather one. And I do rest in it, and generally prefer to smoke my pipes there. But if I fall asleep in it, it's a stiff awakening.

But we have a couple Lane club chairs upstairs that we had custom made about 35-40 years ago. Elegant pattern soft green cloth and comfy like sitting in a giant cloud. I fall right asleep in those, sitting up. Because they're cloth, I don't smoke my pipe in them. Too risky. Perhaps in another life.

Those Lane chairs sound nice. We have a pair of Drexel end tables inherited. Shame that furniture is not made of the same quality anymore.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

A snow blower, remote controlled from the living room. He's a pipe smoker, of course.

53-2-16.jpg

View attachment 1822872
That bowtie is . . . unfortunate. He reminds me either of Pee Wee Herman, or of Jimmy Olsen as he appeared in the Silver Age DC comics. The artists always portrayed Jimmy in a suit (sometimes leaf green to contrast with his red hair), but with bowtie.

I'm guessing that radio controlled snow blower was way more trouble than it was worth, but early adopters forge ahead. Interesting you don't see many, if any, around these days. Still, pretty cool for those days, reminds me of some of the gadgets my genius cousin came up with in the late '50's/early '60's.

Top Bottom