What's new

THE Cartridge Razor Thread

You're right. Check eBay, Etsey, or your local antique store. I bought my E2 at a local antique store. Also flea markets and estate sales.

You're right. Check eBay, Etsey, or your local antique store. I bought my E2 at a local antique store. Also flea markets and estate sales.

Thanks. I'm certainly willing to try a Schick Injector but I need to read up on those. I don't know what the letters and numbers mean. I'll check the WIKI here to see what's there. Also, I was scoping out a local antique store and they had a couple of GEM razors but I didn't buy them because I don't know jack about those either.

Just wondering what you guys do before putting your razor up. I use my breath to blow on mine from each side (front and back and through the blades) and after each breath dab the business side lightly on a terry cloth towel. I think the blades will stay sharper longer if we don't put them away wet. My beard is not heavy, it covers my face but it's fine/soft, and I'll get at least a month of daily shaves out of one cartridge.

Just wondering what you guys do before putting your razor up. I use my breath to blow on mine from each side (front and back and through the blades) and after each breath dab the business side lightly on a terry cloth towel. I think the blades will stay sharper longer if we don't put them away wet. My beard is not heavy, it covers my face but it's fine/soft, and I'll get at least a month of daily shaves out of one cartridge.

I have been shaking mine pretty firmly like 10 shakes with a down motion towards the sink and flipping my wrist at the end. You have to be comfortable with what you can get away with in this regard without hurting yourself or damaging the razor by hitting something with it. After that, it's pretty dry. Then I strop it a few times on whatever is around, my hand or arm, or perhaps dry jeans, towel, etc, just to rub any gunk off at least one side of the blade. Now if I am using alcohol for water displacement as I used to and have started to again, then I can back off the shaking a bit. At one time I was also doing a mineral oil dunk after but haven't been lately but maybe not a bad idea, not sure.

I have been shaking mine pretty firmly like 10 shakes with a down motion towards the sink and flipping my wrist at the end. You have to be comfortable with what you can get away with in this regard without hurting yourself or damaging the razor by hitting something with it. After that, it's pretty dry. Then I strop it a few times on whatever is around, my hand or arm, or perhaps dry jeans, towel, etc, just to rub any gunk off at least one side of the blade. Now if I am using alcohol for water displacement as I used to and have started to again, then I can back off the shaking a bit. At one time I was also doing a mineral oil dunk after but haven't been lately but maybe not a bad idea, not sure.

Now that I think about it I shake mine firmly before the breath routine. I bought a Razor Pit and after the lube strips are gone I start stropping with that every so often like when the blades start to tug or begin to feel rough. I've never tried alcohol (good idea by the way) but a there was a company calling itself Razor Guard that made a reservoir/oil kit designed to store these razors between shaves. The oil solution is probably something very close to mineral oil. Since you mentioned it, I might dig that out again and try it again. I don't see how alcohol or oil could do any harm.

Just throwing this out, hope to get some opinions, advice. After DE shaving for almost a year, I began to identify which creams, soaps, and canned gels/foams (yes Nivea and Barbasol) worked with a single blade. Now getting back into Carts with a Fusion Proglide with Flexball... I picked up the Fusion Ultra Sensitve Hydro Gel, since I guessed that was what Gillette made for the razor. It seems to be a bit drying on my face, so what other creams/soaps/canned gels-foams do you all find work well?

I have some of the Fusion series of gels and they work okay but as you noticed they can be drying. I think that is due to the propellant. I use the same soaps and creams that the members here recommend. Or have you tried the Fusion aftershave lotions they sell?

Last edited:
I like to try out products companies make to go together, razor, shave gel and I will look for those aftershaves, thank you

You're welcome Joncr, I like to use matching products too. I don't know what Gillette calls the AS but I think it looks and acts more like a gel. Don't forget. there is a 'regular' and a 'sensitive' series. I have both shaving gels and both AS and they really aren't bad products.

Gillette
FUSION

They come in different blends. The two I have are: Thermal Face Scrub & Sensitive Face Wash.

Best regards, Ron I

I don't remember ever seeing the Thermal Face Wash. Does that mean it gives you a warming sensation?

Quite a warming sensation. It also has a grain like texture. Sometimes I like it, others I don't. I go back & forth between it and the sensitive.

Ron I

Quite a warming sensation. It also has a grain like texture. Sometimes I like it, others I don't. I go back & forth between it and the sensitive.

OK, and thanks. BTW, I just checked the Gillette website I linked and I couldn't find any of the face washes, only body and body/shampoo. Unless I overlooked those, they are discontinued.

Ron I[/QUOTE]

I checked Drugstore.com and couldn't find them either. I had 3 tubes so I acquired them a good while ago. I would think you're right about the product being discontinued. I guess it didn't generate enough big-time sales. Sad.

Ron I

Top Bottom