What's new

The British Gillette Aristocrat Junior 1948-1949. User Impressions And Comments Please.

[I need .... NEED two white blade banks and a gold popular to go in the white case]
Haha, I gave up trying to find a gold popular for my white case (or a '39 that needs tlc to be replated with a black nickel handle)
But it makes a good home for a AJ that can pretend it's an Australian no.48 set :001_tt2:
PXL_20240111_082946276.jpg

I always have a hard time telling these razors apart. I have a HD500 and once held an AJ and they appear to be one and the same razor.

This one has an open end bottom dial similar to my TTO OC Aristocrat. Later versions were closed (and presumably heavier in weight).

Any news on the hunting front by the way Simon? I am visiting a vintage fair in April again and I scored my Rocket HD500 last time so if there are specific razors you are hunting for (despite post #34) let me know!

Cheers,

Guido
You are a good man Guido! Priceless. ❤️

Unfortunately it would be suicidal of me to think about getting any more hardware (or significant software) till spring. Mrs Ladd though a kind and loving soul gave me a few funny looks when I broke the news of the last buy to her.

I will confine myself to the occasional 50-80 blade purchase for now. She has heard of the current blade psychosis sweeping the boards so I can say it's very very serious.

I update her every day, and mutter stuff like "If I get 40 of each..(add any favourite PPI blade here)" which helps to embed it in her head.

Nope said the pope, you want pretend it a #48 you'll have to give me the two white blade banks AND I'll SELL you two RARE nickel banks that will make it an "authentic" #48 :001_tt2:
:biggrin1:
A nice FB Tech came in that case. Initially I dismissed it as a miss match (like with so many techs in random cases) but now I'm not so sure.. Could be a #77 variant from 45-47 using up old case stock.

The '49 Aristocrat Jr is a cracker though. The slightly narrower, steeper guard gives it a different shave to Rockets/techs. An efficient, dense slab.

But it makes a good home for a AJ that can pretend it's an Australian no.48 set :001_tt2:
After looking at the good old Womans Weakly advert, I did a double take on what I had ''thought'' was a "this goes in that case?" thought. I have a blue art deco top with blue banks and a popular in it, I dont doubt that match as the white art deco top with white banks held the gold popular.

A nice FB Tech came in that case. Initially I dismissed it as a miss match (like with so many techs in random cases) but now I'm not so sure.. Could be a #77 variant from 45-47 using up old case stock.
From the ad you linked again, the brown case brown banks has the Tech in it, I have a brown case with banks and the lid is smooth, and going by the womans weakly I will transplant a tech into it and tag it as a dinky di Au set as I sourced the case [empty] here in AU and techs being tech's in that era here in AU, cases were probably not of importance as they have become years later unless "He" was a fussy old furter? Hence the razor was separated. [the case probably had screws and bolts in it?]

Yet, the ad states a decorated domed lid? and #77, my lid is smooth. THEN comes a quandry, I recently picked up a green smooth top case with green banks, the outer shipper marked as a #77. The razor is a RFB open comb two piece. So has someone filled an empty case with a miss-match razor? quite possible? in that case?

Blimey, this is getting hard :crying:

1-IMG_20240114_195027_HDR~2.jpg

1-IMG_20240114_195201_HDR~2.jpg

I think I need a lil lie down now ::blink:

Wow that's one of the best looking #45 sets I've seen. Awesome collection! :thumbup:

THEN comes a quandry, I recently picked up a green smooth top case with green banks, the outer shipper marked as a #77. The razor is a RFB open comb two piece. So has someone filled an empty case with a miss-match razor? quite possible? in that case?
It looks perfect to me, retailers could receive green case #77s throughout the 30s. Much rarer than the walnut, you're lucky!
#25 sets shipped with brown, green and red colours. So there might be a red #77 out there too.

General rule of thumb for Bakelite case/razor combos (mid range sets)

1933-1938: No #77 set. Silver 2 piece RFB New. Walnut/Green flat top case (maybe red)
1938-1940: No #45/46 set. Nickel/gold 1 piece Popular. Blue/white domed case.
1941~1951: No #77 set. Nickel 3 piece RFB New, RFB Tech (very briefly) and later FB tech. Black/brown domed case, usually for RFB or older brown flat top, usually for FB tech.
1948-1949: No #48 set. Nickel 1 piece Aristocrat junior. Blue/white domed case.
Late 50s: No #?? set. Nickel 1 piece Flare tip rocket. Walnut flat top, chrome covered case (prob old case stock found in warehouse, the chrome plated brass make it hilariously top heavy and falls back when opened)

Wow that's one of the best looking #45 sets I've seen. Awesome collection! :thumbup:

It looks perfect to me, retailers could receive green case #77s throughout the 30s. Much rarer than the walnut, you're lucky!
#25 sets shipped with brown, green and red colours. So there might be a red #77 out there too.

General rule of thumb for Bakelite case/razor combos (mid range sets)

1933-1938: No #77 set. Silver 2 piece RFB New. Walnut/Green flat top case (maybe red)
1938-1940: No #45/46 set. Nickel/gold 1 piece Popular. Blue/white domed case.
1941~1951: No #77 set. Nickel 3 piece RFB New, RFB Tech (very briefly) and later FB tech. Black/brown domed case, usually for RFB or older brown flat top, usually for FB tech.
1948-1949: No #48 set. Nickel 1 piece Aristocrat junior. Blue/white domed case.
Late 50s: No #?? set. Nickel 1 piece Flare tip rocket. Walnut flat top, chrome covered case (prob old case stock found in warehouse, the chrome plated brass make it hilariously top heavy and falls back when opened)
"Well, dip me in vinegar, and call me a fish supper" :- Billy Connolly [What we did on our holiday, movie, good movie too]

I ❤️ Mr Razor, but spend way to much time in there when I get there, kid in a candy shop, like, I look for one then end up looking at all of them!
I find it amazing that bakelite cases were 30's? to 50's? a twenny year run on the same old same old, then pardon the french, the poxy run of the mill razors they put in them. Like if it were me a fat handle tech goes in a cardboard box and them there haristocrats go in nice fancy cases! :sneaky2:

Oh you've done it now .... he said "red" [they the go fast ones, like a ferrari]

Thank you for that, and that, oh and that. :D

Legion

Staff member
I do have a couple of this model Jr. No boxes, unfortunately, but one is unused with the cardboard insert still inside. They are not too rare here, and I've past over a couple in the wild because I already have examples. They shave similar to a Rocket to me.

IMG_7777.jpeg

Another thing about 1949 AJs... Many seem have the roughest finish of all 'Made in England' razers ever produced! Love em to bits.

<tinfoil hat> I recon they're rushing out baseplates for the parts bin over '48 before the factory(s)/machinery gets a long overdue overhaul, for the stamped baseplate era etc</tinfoil hat>

Like if it were me a fat handle tech goes in a cardboard box and them there aristocrats go in nice fancy cases! :sneaky2:
Middle class needs spend their dosh on summat. Isn't that how the LC New got split into 'working class' FB and 'bean counter' RFB in the first place? :laugh:

I got the English No.48 Aristocrat Junior on wednesday in a magnificent travel set.

It does not appear to be some frankenrazor set. Made and assembled by a company called Gresham. Very high end items. It has a wonderful brush which may be boar, but it is incredibly soft. Red and white handle. Simply described on the base as a No.4

The 48 AJ is in incredible shape. It appears to be the rarest of the Juniors and arguably the best of the family. Only made for under a year. The blade gap is insane. From eyeballing it and from a corroberating post on the Shave Den, it looks like it has the same blade gap as my 195 Adjustable on 7. I checked them side by side and it really looks like that.

That's about .93mm. A remarkable gap that I have never seen on a non adjustable TTO.

I will be shaving with it and providing pics of the razor and the set.

Here is a taster of it from an old Etsy posting
1948 Gillette Aristocrat Junior no.48 Set TTO DE Razor. Rare Gillette Safety Razors. Winged Guard Bar. Mens Traditional Shaving Gifts. - Etsy UK - https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/753241092/1948-gillette-aristocrat-junior-no48-set?show_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

Last edited:

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I got the English No.48 Aristocrat Junior on wednesday in a magnificent travel set.

It does not appear to be some frankenrazor set. Made and assembled by a company called Gresham. Very high end items. It has a wonderful brush which may be boar, but it is incredibly soft. Red and white handle. Simply described on the base as a No.4

The 48 AJ is in incredible shape. It appears to be the rarest of the Juniors and arguably the best of the family. Only made for under a year. The blade gap is insane. From eyeballing it and from a corroberating post on the Shave Den, it looks like it has the same blade gap as my 195 Adjustable on 7. I checked them side by side and it really looks like that.

That's about .93mm. A remarkable gap that I have never seen on a non adjustable TTO.

I will be shaving with it and providing pics of the razor and the set.

Here is a taster of it from an old Etsy posting
1948 Gillette Aristocrat Junior no.48 Set TTO DE Razor. Rare Gillette Safety Razors. Winged Guard Bar. Mens Traditional Shaving Gifts. - Etsy UK - https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/753241092/1948-gillette-aristocrat-junior-no48-set?show_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details
I owned one of these once a few years ago. I obtained it by scouring the UK bay. It was a marvelous TTO with excellent balance. Congrats on the amazing score!

I've had a few and sold a couple in 2020. Razors were not cased, one came from a Canadian seller, but I was never sure whether they were #51 or #53. Is there a difference or simply the box? If I had more than one I'd send one over to you.

The baseplate has the 430,030 and to me, besides a slightly different balance, it shaves pretty much like a Rocket. Maybe a touch smoother but I'm not sure if I could distinguish between the two while blindfolded. The plating on the head, especially the underside, is a little better than the standard Rocket (or the later diamond baseplate AJ in the green case). Anyway, it should be a highlight of anyone's collection.
My purchase from Canada resulted in an Aristocrat Junior from England which was sold in a red and clear Rocket Case from Montreal Canada. It is identical to the 1949 English Aristocrat Junior. The original instructions say "Your Improved Gillette Rocket One Piece Razor" and it came with a cream colored dispenser with 10 Blue Blades. I guess they called it a Rocket in Canada, which it is, but kinda confusing to me. Why change the name?

My purchase from Canada resulted in an Aristocrat Junior from England which was sold in a red and clear Rocket Case from Montreal Canada. It is identical to the 1949 English Aristocrat Junior. The original instructions say "Your Improved Gillette Rocket One Piece Razor" and it came with a cream colored dispenser with 10 Blue Blades. I guess they called it a Rocket in Canada, which it is, but kinda confusing to me. Why change the name?
Was it one of these?
proxy.php

Was it one of these?
proxy.php
Was it one of these?
proxy.php
My razor did not have the diamond shape on the baseplate. It has the heavy duty, rectangular section like the Aristocrat Jr. Says Brit Pat. NO430030 Made in England. The instructions shown here are identical to mine. The Gillette Blue Blade Speed-Pak has 10 Blue Blades (Maybe), the color is similar to the color of my Merkur Progress adjustment knob, sort of a yellowish white color. I can't read the case bottom in this pic, but mine says Razor Made in England, Blades made in Canada, Blade- Dispenser Patented 1944, Gillette Safety Razor Co. of Canada LTD, Montreal Canada. It is possible my razor is not the exact razor that came in the case. I have no way of knowing as the razor was purchased from Canada. I like the razor very much, even if not the correct one, it shaves very well and better than my Parat or HD500!

Last edited:
You're good. 3 models of 'one piece safety razor' can come in that case.

1949 model Aristocrat Junior (Brit Pat 430.030)
1950 model Aristocrat Junior (Patent pending)
1951 model Super Speed (W2 with 'made in USA' removed*)

*This could be down to a UK supply issue.
Thanks for the help on this one. It's good to know that someone out there has the knowledge, maybe even beyond the internet, on some of these confusing issues. Good to know it is the 49 year. The blade pack looks like the ones that came with the boxed Super Speeds around 1947-48. One question, did your info come from Canada??

I wish i could find these bakelite boxes, the blue one or the white one, for my Junior #53... Very difficult to find !

@Alum Ladd : i saw that you enjoy your Junior #48, a excellent TTO indeed.:cool: But did you get one these bakelite cases with your razor ?
It is a good protection for the razor when you are in travel...

Top Bottom