What's new

The British Gillette Aristocrat Junior 1948-1949. User Impressions And Comments Please.

Not at all.

Price mostly. The juniors shared the same heads as the top tier Aristocrats of that year, but the handles were more Super Speed or Rocket like. The expensive Aristocrats had beautiful heavy handles, often rhodium plated.

A 1949 Aristocrat Junior
proxy.php

An Aristocrat No.22 Set by comparison.
proxy.php
Cool that's helpful. I recently picked up an Aristocrat, a 66 I think. I bought it without really knowing what it was. So I was curious what Junior meant.

Also do the numbers mean anything. Looking at some of the pics on Mr. Razor there are a lot of numbers but I am not sure if they cover every model. Did they start at the Number 1 set and work there way up?

Cool that's helpful. I recently picked up an Aristocrat, a 66 I think. I bought it without really knowing what it was. So I was curious what Junior meant.

Also do the numbers mean anything. Looking at some of the pics on Mr. Razor there are a lot of numbers but I am not sure if they cover every model. Did they start at the Number 1 set and work there way up?
Not really. gillette England was pretty chaotic. The numbering for sets is a bit eccentric often.

Like they had a No.48 set in 1948 and a No.22 set in 1949. But the 40's and 50's numbered sets seem to be Juniors and lower numbers like the 15 and 22 were assigned to the more high end Aristocrats.

Last edited:
I have been through just about every Gillette TTO, and I would put the shave quality of the Ranger Tech above most all of them. In my opinion, it is one of the more aggressive Gillette 1-piece razors, but it shaves with the greatest comfort and ease. It also leaves me with a longer lasting clean-shaven feel than most razors I have used. What an outstanding shaver. My other go-to Gillette TTO is the No. 48 Aristocrat Jr., and I do not consider it superior to the Ranger Tech.

Wow, being compared to a No.48 is something. You pick up that razor and you soon find out they were serious when drawing that one up.
The No.48 is on my short favorites list.:thumbup1:
The above exchange from a very old thread Safety Razor Of the Week, 12/7 -12/13 The Gillette Ranger Tech - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/safety-razor-of-the-week-12-7-12-13-the-gillette-ranger-tech.67852/ got me thinking.

Having just bagged a Ranger Tech, I think I have an AJ from the No.48 set production run in my sights.

Would be a nice companion for the RT.

They could both sit around and discuss not having any end caps.

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Is the 48 AJ special? How do you tell the year? All I know is that there is a flat bottom version and a diamond bottom version.

I suspect the diamond would be identical to Rockets/58.

Is the 48 AJ special? How do you tell the year? All I know is that there is a flat bottom version and a diamond bottom version.

I suspect the diamond would be identical to Rockets/58
It's got no end caps, and looks like a Gen 1 / Gen 2 TTO hybrid. Flat bottom. I think it was first AJ introduced in the UK.
proxy.php

The one I'm looking at has been well used. Will need a re-plate but I have never seen one offered and I am confident I have ID'd it right.

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
It's got no end caps, and looks like a Gen 1 / Gen 2 TTO hybrid. Flat bottom. I think it was first AJ introduced in the UK.
proxy.php

The one I'm looking at has been well used. Will need a re-plate but I have never seen one offered and I am confident I have ID'd it right.
I like innovation, but sometimes, I'd prefer it if Gillette only made one razor so I don't have to track them down!!

If i add something sensible ?

I like no end caps AND full doors, the only other thing better is open comb with those two .... let me know later if you mortgaged your house? :p
Do you know what? I think that No.48 was the first post war economy English SB TTO.

They changed the name too from Popular to Aristocrat Junior. It's a modernised this
proxy.php

I think the 430 030 Pat covered the SB TTO head.

It's a good price btw! Even so the wrath of Mrs Ladd will be Khan-like I suspect.
ham GIF

Do you know what? I think that No.48 was the first post war economy English SB TTO.

They changed the name too from Popular to Aristocrat Junior. It's a modernised this
proxy.php

I think the 430 030 Pat covered the SB TTO head.

It's a good price btw! Even so the wrath of Mrs Ladd will be Khan-like I suspect.
ham GIF
I've tagged mine here as a 1939 Popular #35 ??? how I did that I don't remember but I write tags for all that I try to research dates and models for.
I immediately thought hmmm a blue case, and nickel blade banks, the upity ones got colour coded blade banks?
[I need .... NEED two white blade banks and a gold popular to go in the white case] [I now have the complete brown case, big deal! and a ..... full #77 GREEN case and blade banks] :thumbup1:

1-IMG_20240111_123756~2.jpg

The variations in what razors Mr G put in what case in what year is stupendously baffling when trying to say this is that one that one is this year because of that? etc. :D

Not if you join the cult in which both Ladd and I are members of. Here, we get to eat what we kill!
I picked up some kangaroo jerky in the supermarket, I've resisted the urge to try kangaroo for 20 years, so I thought this looks ok I might try it, finally, i put me glasses on to read the label, "pet food only" ok any wonder it looked good :D

Vin Diesel, chronicles of riddick? or one of the trilogy. "you get to keep what you kill"

Just an update.

Managed to bag a 1948 No.48 Aristocrat Junior, probably the rarest and the first iteration of the AJ made in England. Very Ranger Tech like in that it has no end caps and more interestingly, a TTO mechanism more reminiscent of the classic 30's OC TTO's.

It comes in a Gresham brand leather travel case with a very interesting VGC Gillette boar brush and good quality metal cylinders for the brush and shave stick, a mirror, a comb and a clothes brush. The seller mentions that they have never seen a Gillette Aristocrat Junior sold in such a format. The retaing leather loop fits the razor perfectly. I think this an unknown Gillette travel set. Achim may be interested in photos if we can get contemporary ads or promotional literature as evidence.

I made an offer and it was accepted. £50. Bargain from a great seller.

Here she is
Vintage Gresham Shaving Set w. 1948 430.030 Gillette Aristocrat Junior Jr. Razor | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126120534355?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11060.m43.l44813&mkcid=26&ch=osgood&euid=a930d6ccd6114e209e29eb83bdc06158&bu=44919393271&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20240110213440&segname=11060

It is this model, courtesy of Achims's wonderful site.
proxy.php

Assured by seller that it is perfectly functional, doors opening evenly, TTO mechanism fine, gaps even.

Both it and it's new best friend will be taking a long trip to Chris at BRG to return them to their original glory.

So. I am pretty much sorted for my little collection. My RAD is in remission.

Snl Off Work GIF by Saturday Night Live

As always Gents thanks for the input and excellent anecdotes and experiences with this great family of razors!

Last edited:
The baseplate has the 430,030 and to me, besides a slightly different balance, it shaves pretty much like a Rocket.
I always have a hard time telling these razors apart. I have a HD500 and once held an AJ and they appear to be one and the same razor.
I think it was first AJ introduced in the UK.
This one has an open end bottom dial similar to my TTO OC Aristocrat. Later versions were closed (and presumably heavier in weight).

Any news on the hunting front by the way Simon? I am visiting a vintage fair in April again and I scored my Rocket HD500 last time so if there are specific razors you are hunting for (despite post #34) let me know!

Cheers,

Guido

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Just an update.

Managed to bag a 1948 No.48 Aristocrat Junior, probably the rarest and the first iteration of the AJ made in England. Very Ranger Tech like in that it has no end caps and more interestingly, a TTO mechanism more reminiscent of the classic 30's OC TTO's.

It comes in a Gresham brand leather travel case with a very interesting VGC Gillette boar brush and good quality metal cylinders for the brush and shave stick, a mirror, a comb and a clothes brush. The seller mentions that they have never seen a Gillette Aristocrat Junior sold in such a format. The retaing leather loop fits the razor perfectly. I think this an unknown Gillette travel set. Achim may be interested in photos if we can get contemporary ads or promotional literature as evidence.

I made an offer and it was accepted. £50. Bargain from a great seller.

Here she is
Vintage Gresham Shaving Set w. 1948 430.030 Gillette Aristocrat Junior Jr. Razor | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126120534355?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11060.m43.l44813&mkcid=26&ch=osgood&euid=a930d6ccd6114e209e29eb83bdc06158&bu=44919393271&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20240110213440&segname=11060

It is this model, courtesy of Achims's wonderful site.
proxy.php

Assured by seller that it is perfectly functional, doors opening evenly, TTO mechanism fine, gaps even.

Both it and it's new best friend will be taking a long trip to Chris at BRG to return them to their original glory.

So. I am pretty much sorted for my little collection. My RAD is in remission.

Snl Off Work GIF by Saturday Night Live

As always Gents thanks for the input and excellent anecdotes and experiences with this great family of razors!
Very nice Simon! I would certainly use that brush, the cannisters, the mirror, the comb..... actually I would use the entire set for travel. Congratulations 👍

I just got my Junior!

Haven't had the chance to shave with it yet, but I am very happy with my purchase!

Looked a bit dirty in the seller's photos, but a few minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner and I am united with a fairly clean British TTO with all it's plating intact.
View attachment 1765242

A few quick comparisons with other Gillette TTOs:
  • The head does look bulky on it's lollipop handle, but side by side with similar razors, it's actually the sleekest of them all. More akin to the Slim than other 50's Gillettes.
  • Blade gap seems bigger, at least from a front-on view.
  • Blade exposure seems similar to it's siblings, but the safety bar has a more gentle slope and I think there is a longer distance between the end of the safety bars and the blade apex, so maybe more gap overall.
  • There are some fairly unique design differences from other TTOs!
  • Despite it's small size, this is the heaviest of my non-adjustable TTOs (72g), for reference: 40s/50s Super Speed - 54g, Red Tip - 66g, No 58 - 71g.
View attachment 1765243

View attachment 1765244

I already shaved with the Red Tip today, but a few dry swipes on my face and it does feel slightly more blade forward.

Looking forward to tomorrow's shave!

BTW, mine is the flat bottomed version, maybe this is the FB Tech equivalent of British Super Speeds?
View attachment 1765248
I think you bagged yourself a lovely clean example of a 1949 No.51 set there me old blade biting mucker.

Nize!
proxy.php

Top Bottom