What's new

The best English blend (Pipe Tobacco)

I also like to dry out the VA's quite a bit.
I'm sure it's just me but it is the only way I can enjoy them.
Stonehaven has to be cut into cubes and then dried b4 I can keep it lit for more than a minute.
==================================
To those who say:
"I only like ______ tobaccos"
I say:
"You're missing out"
....similar to those who say.....
"I only like ______ wines" - insert Red or White.

Sometimes a VA is just right...sometimes an English fills the bill.
I am not a big Latakia fiend....but I have some on hand when I need a fix.
Bottom line....like I tell my Daughter.....
"You have to at least try it to know if you dont like it" !!

I have tried many baccys and have found in general that burleys taste like dirt to me, va's tend to bite, and I love englishes and cajuns. I stay away from aromatics and flavors.

I'll second Sam Gawith's Squadron Leader as my top English blend, though I've just got hold of some Russ Oulette's Larry's Blend and I'd say that comes a close second.

My favourites are the Virginias and the Virginia/Perique blends though and a bit St Bruno doesn't go amiss on occasion!

Gareth

Man you really want me to buy that pipe.. Wish it was a bulldog.

Man...if you want a bulldog...
I'll send you a pic of my JM Boswell that is Sooooo big
it'll handle a 50g tin in one sitting !!
It is THE biggest pipe I have ever seen.
....(just funnin' with you re: the Dunhill...BTW :wink: )

Back in the old days I smoked Balkan Sobranie, alas no longer manufactured. Then I switched to Our Best Blend by Smokers Haven. Initially it was the same tobacco, relabeled by Smokers Haven. In fact, a few times it even had the Balkan Sobranie insert inside the can. Today it is blended for Smoker's Haven and it comes fairly close to the original. Isadore Redstone, the original owner/manufacturer of BS, bought the company back after he realized that the purchaser had cheapened the blend, but the resurrection never really got off the ground. Today Smokers Haven Our Best Blend is the closest you can get to this old time classic English blend.

That's true, and J.F. Germain & Son makes the import blends for Smoker's Haven -- as well as the Esoterica tobaccos.

For over 20 years I only smoked Dunhill Royal Yacht, then I found out a few years back that Dunhill had taken over Escudo and repackaged it as 'DELUXE NAVY ROLLS', now it is a real favourite.

Top Bottom