What's new

The Association of Yates Owners - AYO

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I will be joining up with you. I ordered a brass 921-M on Thursday, just the top and bottom plates. I will be using a Karve handle. My order is 46xx so I will be in for a wait.
You may be surprised. Seems like the major holdup is titanium material. Orders are starting to jump out of sequence, but, the titanium stuff isn’t moving much.

That handle is SO much nicer than the 921. I’m eagerly awaiting my 921 Titanium; I’m 95% certain I’ll be ordering a Ti ‘Mercia handle for it. Seems silly that the ‘Merica handle isn’t an available option for the BYOR.

True it's not in the list, but just uncheck the "Add Handle" box on the BYOR page and add the Stubby or 'Merica handle to your cart too.

I ordered my Ti 921-EH with the Ti 'Merica handle.

Caution for New Yates 921 Owners Using Non-Yates Handles

Threads are 10-32, and the diameter of the handle where the connection is made cannot be larger than .315" or 8.001 mm. The bottom of the base plate has a "deep" recess into which the top of the handle fits. In other threads, some users have attempted to fill that narrow gap with washers.

Caution for New Yates 921 Owners Using Non-Yates Handles

Threads are 10-32, and the diameter of the handle where the connection is made cannot be larger than .315" or 8.001 mm. The bottom of the base plate has a "deep" recess into which the top of the handle fits. In other threads, some users have attempted to fill that narrow gap with washers.
Thank you for the heads up. Looks like I will just order the Yates handle.

Just so you guys know, I have really good luck with Yates shave bowl. I'm a bowl lather'er and it really does a nice job. My only complaint is that the 3D printed plastic does not hold heat well, so by the time I get to my second lathering, the lather is at room temp. In the summer in Phoenix, it doesn't matter, but in the winter I'm not a fan.

The Winning v2 I had was the only other DE razor I've ever used that didn't go to war on my face. But the stainless with short handle was too much and too little. Seems like my best choice if ever I get another DE would be the upcoming titanium Winning with a longer 921 handle. I'm looking forward to its release and first reviews.

The Winning v2 I had was the only other DE razor I've ever used that didn't go to war on my face. But the stainless with short handle was too much and too little. Seems like my best choice if ever I get another DE would be the upcoming titanium Winning with a longer 921 handle. I'm looking forward to its release and first reviews.
Have you considered the 921 in Ti? I've not used the Winning but the numbers put the M plate with just a touch more exposure. I find the safety bar to be too mild for me. The scalloped might be a good compromise. One say I might get a wild hair and buy an OC M plate. You never know.

Have you considered the 921 in Ti? I've not used the Winning but the numbers put the M plate with just a touch more exposure. I find the safety bar to be too mild for me. The scalloped might be a good compromise. One say I might get a wild hair and buy an OC M plate. You never know.
Yes, I actually prefer the 921 but priced out the BYOR version and it's beyond my budget. The Winning will go for a lot less. Titanium becomes the option because I like lighter razors, but it hits my limits real quick.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I’m done with Yates.

Stated lead time was 3-5 weeks for my BYOR that I ordered 4+ weeks ago. There are still 335 orders ahead of mine in queue, many waiting for titanium to be delivered.

No response whatsoever to any emails I have sent trying to get an updated delivery estimate.

And now, through links here, I see that Yates is working in collaboration with another razor company (the name escapes me), making titanium razors. Instead of fulfilling their own orders?

Sorry, but, no razor is that good. Certainly not good enough to be ignored after paying nearly $300 for it. I’ve requested a cancellation and refund.

Last edited:
Still waiting for Titanium
I’m done with Yates.

Stated lead time was 3-5 weeks for my BYOR that I ordered 4+ weeks ago. There are still 335 orders ahead of mine in queue, many waiting for titanium to be delivered.

No response whatsoever to any emails I have sent trying to get an updated delivery estimate.

And now, through links here, I see that Yates is working in collaboration with another razor company (the name escapes me), making titanium razors. Instead of fulfilling their own orders?

Sorry, but, no razor is that good. Certainly not good enough to be ignored after paying nearly $300 for it.
I ordered on Feb 3rd, still waiting. Asked one time, Jake answered in 20 hours and apologized, he explain me there is problem with Ti supply. I prefer to wait, don't think I can get Yates in Ti cheaper in future as now when I payed for Ti 921 like for SS Overlander..

Still much prefer Yates communication and possibility to see online where is my order again silent of Karve where I asked for refund my bank last time.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Still waiting for Titanium

I ordered on Feb 3rd, still waiting. Asked one time, Jake answered in 20 hours and apologized, he explain me there is problem with Ti supply. I prefer to wait, don't think I can get Yates in Ti cheaper in future as now when I payed for Ti 921 like for SS Overlander..

Still much prefer Yates communication and possibility to see online where is my order again silent of Karve where I asked for refund my bank last time.
Agree that Karve is horrible. Absolutely. After two months of silence, I had to file a claim with my credit card company.

Im waiting 96 hours for a reply from Yates.

Yates could learn from Timeless, Blackland, or Carbon. Their communication/support is excellent.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Second time I've said something negative about Yates on here and gotten an immediate email response from them, even though they ignored my previous emails. Someone must be watching this thread.

I managed CNC/machining operations for 40 years. My company wouldn't have survived a year treating customers this way. Giving delivery estimates knowing they will be impossible to meet is inexcusable.

IMHO, you gents that have been and will continue to wait months are nuts. Have they bothered to send you any updates? Order status? Anything?

To each his own.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Not what I asked. You placed an order based on stated 3-5 week lead time. At any time, did they send an email saying they had unexpected delays? Regrets for missing delivery date? Estimate for actual delivery date, since where you are in queue is meaningless? Option to cancel order easily in a manner that would be acknowledged?

Companies survive based on service. Theirs is garbage.

I don't want this to become an endless discourse. If you're willing to accept things this way, my best wishes. I truly hope you love your razor. Many owners seem to.

IMHO, you gents that have been and will continue to wait months are nuts. Have they bothered to send you any updates? Order status? Anything?

To each his own
What do you think about Wolfman waiting list for months? I know it's different but effectively you wait or can't buy them. Same here. Looks like they have enough orders and people ready to wait what is for me nice sign of quality and good price. Demand is much higher as offer..

Top Bottom