What's new

Texas Red Chili Recipe

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I think the author is saying it's OK to add beans to your chili, but then after that you can no longer call it chili.

Yeah, I know- I guess that just doesn't sit well with me. I used to get on people about putting ham and pineapple on pizza, but I have gotten over that :biggrin:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The Chili is cooking.
When unpacking the meat I notice it is in fact Chuck Tender. Should be nice.

$20150131_094900.jpg

I added sautéed red capsicum to the blender with the chili and a bit more of the pepper water to aid blending, then strained.

$20150131_102658.jpg

All the important ingredients are ready for tomorrow! Got bottom round, which I hope will work.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1422657157797.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1422657157797.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 57

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Chris, that cut of beef looks like tri-tip.

The sauce looks so rich...good job.
It had the line of gristle running down the middle of it and a heavy silver skin, that is the norm with a Chuck Tender, I removed both.
To remove the gristle I cut it into slices across the eye then cut it in half next to the gristle.
This cut is off the small side of the shoulder blade.

Looking forward to this one. I may even make a corn bread. Do you have a simple fool proof recipe?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
It had the line of gristle running down the middle of it and a heavy silver skin, that is the norm with a Chuck Tender, I removed both.
To remove the gristle I cut it into slices across the eye then cut it in half next to the gristle.
This cut is off the small side of the shoulder blade.

Looking forward to this one. I may even make a corn bread. Do you have a simple fool proof recipe?

Check out the cast iron corn bread thread. There are some in there that are easy and very tasty.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The corn bread is in the oven. The Chili was ready a few hours ago. Just giving it time for the flavours to become good friends.
I went with the first recipe in the post.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The chili will be even better tomorrow
I may leave it a few days to age...........if I can.

This time I remove the seeds prior to soaking. I have saved the seeds for Ron.

I only soaked the Pasilla Negro Chili for 15 minutes after reading this. http://www.spicesinc.com/p-293-dried-pasilla-chiles.aspx
"We like to dry toast these before re-hydrating them for maximum flavor. To re-hydrate soak in hot water for 15-20 minutes but be careful to not let them soak for longer than that or they become bitter."

I noticed the water from soaking the Chili was a very dark brown, is that normal or did I have the water too hot? I used most of the water in the chili but still think there is a lot of flavour left behind. Next time I will try grinding the Chili dry as Connie did.

The meat turned out perfect. Tender but not to soft.

This is what I used.
Chili used - 6 x Pasilla Negro, 2 x Ancho & 3 x Teja Chili. Seeds removed toasted, soaked then blended with 1.5 red capsicum sautéed, 1.5 teaspoons Cumin, salt pepper and approx. a cup of the Chili water.
Meat used was Chuck Tender, sliced browned and diced. Sautéed finely diced onion and garlic.
Added meat to onions with the chili paste and a teaspoon of smoked paprika. A cup of beef stock, cup of the chili, 2 tablespoons of Masa Harina water and cup of chicken stock.
cooked in a enamel cast iron pot in the oven, low temp for approx. 3 hours.
when cooked I added 2 tablespoons of Cider Vinegar and a teaspoon of Rata honey.
Tasted and adjusted with a small bit of salt and a table spoon of brown sugar.

Last edited:
The Texas Red is in the slow cooker! No real problems while making it. When I put the onion and garlic in the food processor I let it go too long and it formed more of a paste. Shouldn't be a problem. Had a little trouble blending the anchos so I kept adding some of the pepper water until it reached the desired consistency. Here are some pictures.

The beef!
$beef.jpg

The chili paste. It was all I could not to break out the tortilla chips and eat it as a dip.
$paste.jpg

In the slow cooker.
$chili.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yeah, those chili's can get real pasty while blending. I just add a little water as it whizzes.

Crock pot looks fully locked and loaded. Low and slow. Taste along the way for salt, heat and sweet adjustments.

Top Bottom