What's new

Telling if the Razor is Sharp Enough?

So I've made several forays into straight razor shaving (and wetshaving in general) only to find myself thwarted by painful razor burn and just overall frustration, causing me to retreat back to my electric razor that, although not doing a terribly good job of giving me a decent shave, takes off most of the hair without leaving me a red, bumpy mess.

But I've decided to give this another try (because I really really would like to get this right, I really hate my electric razor).

The question that I remember leaving myself with last time is whether or not my razor was sharp enough, largely because for all I know I'm just terrible at using a straight razor and the razor itself could be just fine.

I have 3 razors that I bought from members at SRP. I also have a pasted paddle strop from Tony Miller with 3, 1, 0.5, and 0.25 micron pastes. That's what I've been trying to use to get the razors sharp, but again what exactly that means I don't know. All 3 razors were supposedly shave ready upon purchase but I found varying degrees up pulling and pain from all 3 of them.

So I guess my question is, is there any good way to tell if a razor is truly sharp (and therefore, allow me to rule that variable out)?

So I guess my question is, is there any good way to tell if a razor is truly sharp (and therefore, allow me to rule that variable out)?

The best way, IMO, is to buy a shave ready razor from a trusted member. That is the only way you'll know, by buying off someone who has acres more experience than you do.

Yep, buy one from someone who knows what they are doing. The best way to tell if a razor is sharp enough is to shave with it. Until you get some practice under your belt, ie start getting good shaves, it is a little difficult to tell what is sharp enough and what wasn't.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the two posters above. Only experience will tell you if the razor is truly sharp.

If you want, I'll be your guinea pig and test your razors for ya. :biggrin: I'll even hone them for free if they're dull.

If purchased from SRP members as 'shave ready', they should have been at least close.

Pastes will help maintain or refresh an edge, but will not make it sharp if dull. Also repeated use of a pasted paddle over time produces a bevel that becomes rounded rather than a sharp angle.

Are these diamond pastes? I personally don't like the feel of a razor edge after using diamond pastes.

You might consider a actual stone, a combination blue/yellow coticule to sharpen your razors when they need some work.

Everyone seems to have their own tests for sharpness, and I've always said that the best way is to confirm sharp is to shave. You've done that, and found the edges wanting.

The second way I check is with a damp thumb after stropping. Touch your damp thumb pad against the edge. It should feel 'sticky'. You have checked knife blades for keenness with your thumb? Well a keen razor will be that feeling X 10.

If worst comes to worst, shoot me an email. I'll either send you a shave ready straight to try or hone one of your blades for the cost of return postage.

3fa

If purchased from SRP members as 'shave ready', they should have been at least close.

Pastes will help maintain or refresh an edge, but will not make it sharp if dull. Also repeated use of a pasted paddle over time produces a bevel that becomes rounded rather than a sharp angle.

Are these diamond pastes? I personally don't like the feel of a razor edge after using diamond pastes.

You might consider a actual stone, a combination blue/yellow coticule to sharpen your razors when they need some work.

Everyone seems to have their own tests for sharpness, and I've always said that the best way is to confirm sharp is to shave. You've done that, and found the edges wanting.

The second way I check is with a damp thumb after stropping. Touch your damp thumb pad against the edge. It should feel 'sticky'. You have checked knife blades for keenness with your thumb? Well a keen razor will be that feeling X 10.

If worst comes to worst, shoot me an email. I'll either send you a shave ready straight to try or hone one of your blades for the cost of return postage.

you don't see many other forums offering this sorta service :w00t:
take the offer :biggrin:

The generosity on this forum never ceases to amaze me.

aye, I must agree. which is why I always come here for information about shaving stuff. people are always extremely friendly and helpful

Hawk I'll will most likely be taking you up on that offer, btw :biggrin:

You should always buy a razor shave ready from someone with a good rep on here or Straightrazorplace.com

If you're not a master at honing and are new to straights, you will definitely fail at sharpening your razor.

When you get a shave ready straight, make sure your stropping is correct since this can mess up the sharpness. Make sure the spine never leaves the strop.

Belgian blue and coticules are awesome.

You should always buy a razor shave ready from someone with a good rep on here or Straightrazorplace.com

If you're not a master at honing and are new to straights, you will definitely fail at sharpening your razor.

When you get a shave ready straight, make sure your stropping is correct since this can mess up the sharpness. Make sure the spine never leaves the strop.

Belgian blue and coticules are awesome.

And I have proof if you don't believe him!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

not all my razors are equally sharp, some of the less sharp ones i keep intentionally that way, some i can't get sharper.
but all the ones i consider shave ready can provide me a close and comfortable shave.

usually when i get razors from less experienced members they are not quite where i think they should be, and the problem is in almost all cases microchipping, i.e. bevel issues.

most people seem to think stones and pastes above 6-8k level are necessary for producing shave-ready razors, but in my opinion this is not true.
however it takes a lot more time and effort to learn to use the coarse and medium hones than to just buy another polishing medium.

oh, and a shave-ready razor includes properly stropping.

john most definitely will set you up with a proper edge, but when you start the main problem is your technique.

Lord knows I've rolled an edge when learning to strop! I've asked Dan not to strop the razor I'm sending before his first shave just to take that variable out of the process. While he is trying out one I'm sending, I've asked if he wants to send one of his for honing. I'm not familiar with the brands Dan has that are confirmed. He may have a Henckles 4/8ths or 9/16ths, but reference was made only to the box, a The Palmer, Chicago that is around 6/8ths, (I've at least seen these on ebay), and a Fairview/Kraut & Dohnal, also around 6/8ths. I'm assuming these last two are German made for distribution in the US but I don't know for sure.

Given that you're coming from using an electric razor and that you've had similar problems with DE shaving, I'm almost certain that your problem is improper preparation. You should be washing your face first, ideally in the shower, and then lathering up with a really good soap and brush until the hairs are really softened up. This means a couple of minutes of doing circles with the brush and building up lather like meringue. This is 90% of the shave.

The edge of the razor is very delicate. The razors were probably sharp when you got them and the edge got ruined on your beard due to inadequate preparation. The pasted strop should bring the edge back but one of the problems with pastes is that they make the edge less durable. So, more easily ruined by poor prep.

My advice is to get the razors honed and make sure that your beard is well softened up before you shave.

Weren't these some of the same thigns we said just before we got into honing and maintaining our razors?

DGalt, you should head over to the interactive guide on honing, start reading the honing forum, begin pricing hones and give in to it. Never a boring day with a straight razor!

Given that you're coming from using an electric razor and that you've had similar problems with DE shaving, I'm almost certain that your problem is improper preparation. You should be washing your face first, ideally in the shower, and then lathering up with a really good soap and brush until the hairs are really softened up. This means a couple of minutes of doing circles with the brush and building up lather like meringue. This is 90% of the shave.

The edge of the razor is very delicate. The razors were probably sharp when you got them and the edge got ruined on your beard due to inadequate preparation. The pasted strop should bring the edge back but one of the problems with pastes is that they make the edge less durable. So, more easily ruined by poor prep.

My advice is to get the razors honed and make sure that your beard is well softened up before you shave.

Well, from the start I've been following the guide for pre-shave prep posted over in the DE shaving forum. I've found that taking a shower before I shave makes things worse, so instead I usually rinse my face several times with warm water, build up a lather in a bowl and apply that. I then rub that in and then again rinse off my face several times with warm water (I was doing the whole warm towel for 1-2min or whatever, but I found this to be excessive since I'm getting the same softness now as I was with that). Then re-lather and shave. I don't know why I still get razor burn from DEs. In part due to improper technique I'm sure.

On a side note, I shaved last night with one of the razor I do have (after doing 30 passes on each 4 of the sides of my paddle strop). Not a great shave in terms of closeness, but as of right now there isn't any razor burn (knocking on wood as I type this :lol:)

Well, from the start I've been following the guide for pre-shave prep posted over in the DE shaving forum. I've found that taking a shower before I shave makes things worse, so instead I usually rinse my face several times with warm water, build up a lather in a bowl and apply that. I then rub that in and then again rinse off my face several times with warm water (I was doing the whole warm towel for 1-2min or whatever, but I found this to be excessive since I'm getting the same softness now as I was with that). Then re-lather and shave. I don't know why I still get razor burn from DEs. In part due to improper technique I'm sure.

On a side note, I shaved last night with one of the razor I do have (after doing 30 passes on each 4 of the sides of my paddle strop). Not a great shave in terms of closeness, but as of right now there isn't any razor burn (knocking on wood as I type this :lol:)

Have you tried Kyle's prep? That might help a lot.

Top Bottom