What's new

Tell us about your espresso machine

Thanks again everyone! I've been enjoying my cappuccinos, though I seem to get better crema with 14g coffee compared to 12g. I need to buy a normal tamper, going to get a dial thermometer for the milk frothing, and I'm trying to find other stuff on amazon to get free shipping (I don't make enough orders to consider Prime). Maybe some bicycle stuff...

Again, if I was drinking espresso, or doing latte art yes I'd want a better machine. But for foamy cappuccino? It works GREAT! Only wish it didn't vibrate and make the shot glasses rattle around... but someday I'll get a cappuccino cup and just pull shots straight into that.
There are many who modify this machine to a non pressurized portafilter with good results. I keep considering doing it but just haven't yet. One day perhaps. And yes it works just fine for cappuccinos.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/522849

I've done some more research and think with my track record in shaving I probably need a semi automatic so I can upgrade the portability as my experience grows. I've added the saeco poemia since they have a good price on refurbs which would give me more grinder budget. I also noticed if I buy that model new SCG includes an extended 2 year warranty and filter.

Is there a lot that can go wrong with these machines? I don't typically buy warranties but this may be a good deal if so.

Personally I would be fine with a refurb and not worry too much about the warranty as compared to a new one. (Though of course there is some small chance you will get the one with a defect). I don't know enough about Saeco machines to comment on them, but I like SCG.

Do not be afraid of manufacture refurbs. What this means it the machine with back to the manufacturer and they went over it top to bottom, resetting things and testing to make sure it all functions as it should. These kind of recalibration/testing is NOT done during the manufacturing process (assembly line then into the box and off to the warehouse, eventually getting to you where YOU get to test it).

Espresso machines are pretty simple things (how hard can it be to boil water)

Even automatic machines are easy to "home fix" should something go wrong. Most parts are interchangeable as there are only so many different espresso pumps and valves and everyone uses the same parts, they must make it look different on the outside. The electronics are another thing altogether as each builder will tweak their machines in this area but when they go south it is an entire board that gets replaced so fixing it is as hard as twisting a screwdriver and putting in another board.

I've SOLD a lot of extended warranties :yesnod: BUT I have never purchased one :nonod:

Thanks for the input turtle! You have confirmed everything I was thinking. I have had the past 2 days to dig through reviews and specs due to a nasty cold. I finally placed an order yesterday. Even found a coupon for 10% off!

I was trying to decide between the Saeco Via Venezia and the Gaggia Baby Twin. Both were refurbs for $200, but there were a few reasons I went with the baby twin. The biggest reason and possible future source of frustration is the portafilter. I think I'll do fine with practice but there is no pressurized portafilter to start. I may pick up some ESE pods to learn what type of results I should be getting. The other thing (and why I almost got a super automatic) is speed. I'm hoping the double boiler will keep the time it takes to make my morning coffee lower. I know I'm not making a k cup anymore and I'm good with that for the quality increase.

Since I had to spend $250 to use the coupon, I picked up some accessories. I got a 12oz frothing pitcher, 58mm aluminum tamper, and basic black knock box. They are all on the low end of what was available but they had good reviews. My total was $1 and change over what I needed to spend, I feel like it was a good price for what I got.

I know I need a few more things, filter, descaler, backflush cleaner, and blind filter are on the list. I purchased it from wholelattelove.com and so far am very happy with their service. The review videos on their site are very informative and well done. I have received 3 emails from them with updates on my order, the latest being a shipping notice. Only 2-6 days to wait now...

I know this isn't the right way to do things but the grinder is on hold for now. I have been impressed with the quality and consistency of grind I have been getting with the skerton. I think it will work until I can save up for a vario/precision or maybe a rocky :)

I also did not but an extended warranty. After watching a teardown video on the baby twin, I realized they really are pretty simple machines.

Well, I got a Tamper in from Amazon (a cheap "stainless" one... its HEAVY!) and I converted the filter to un-pressurized. I did it by removing the spring and poppet from the plastic unit... so it looks stock but its not :)

I'll test tomorrow... I also have a dial thermometer on the way for the frothing pitcher :)

Gaggia makes good machines. I've owned a couple. They heat up very quickly so you won't be waiting long when you get up in the morning. You will blow away K-Cups with it if you use fresh coffee and develop good technique.

I have been using fresh roasted whole bean coffee since starting into coffee at Christmas. My aeropress makes a fine cup of coffee but I've been wanting to make cappuccinos. I know I have some learning to do and I'm happy there are so many resources available to teach me. I'll post some pics here when everything gets here and I pull a few shots

I have an espresso machine arriving tomorrow (was hoping for today but probably not with the snow) and am looking for suggestions on a few types of espresso to try. I went through a can of Illy med roast as regular coffee and really enjoyed it so that is on my list. Lavazza is also there but there are so many varieties I have no idea which one to try.

I understand any coffee bean can be ground for espresso so I will definitely be trying some different kinds from my local roasters to see what I like best. From my past experience with coffee I have preferred dark roast but am now seeing a while new side of coffee thanks to you fine gentlemen!

Hello, I've been using an espresso machine in my home for just a couple of years, I'm by no means an expert. But I just finished a bag of Starbucks espresso roast, it was good. My go to coffee is Kirkland espresso roast (red bag). Kirkland is Costco's brand, however, the beans are roasted by Starbucks then put into a Kirkland brand bag. It is the best value for good beans in my region.

Some other beans roasters that pop into my noggin' this morning are Sister's Coffee Company http://www.sisterscoffee.com/ they are located in Sisters, OR. Any roast will do for the espresso machine, I like the darker ones like the espresso roast. Also, I recenty had some Peet's over Christmas, I was pleasantly surprised. Click here http://www.peets.com/ If I had to pick a favorite now it would be Peets, and they've got gobs of roast varieties, I'll start with an espresso roast. Good luck.

Cheers!

Funny you mention Peet's...I picked up a bag of their house blend yesterday. It was roasted on 12/30 which I thought was pretty good for being bought at Kroger

It's not really a matter of newbie versus vet but what one is specifically looking for and people have varying preferences no matter how much experience they have under their belt. I'd suggest going with a local roaster so you know you're getting fresh beans. Are you grinding? If not, preground is stale.

I have been grinding since Christmas when I got a skerton. At the moment my budget is tapped out, but I will be saving for an electric grinder next.

If you can't locate an artisan roaster near you, grab a bag of Sweet Maria's Monkey espresso blend online.

They will ship the day they roast so it should be ready to use when it gets to you

I have a killer artisan roasting house in town if you want the contact info PM me as I don't want to seem like a fan boy and post the details on here. He has several espresso blends and also will ship the day it is roasted.

Just finished off the last of my Sweet Maria's Monkey espresso blend this morning. I buy green and roast my own and this came in a "sampler" green assortment I got from them. Good blend. Very drinkable as straight shots. I had 4 shots this morning...

proxy.php

Also, you mentioned above the Italian references:
Lavazza Pienaroma Espresso - Whole Bean.
I don't care for Robusta in my cup. This one is a very nice demonstration and extremely consistent bag to bag.

My espresso setup was delivered today! After following all the WLL setup videos (priming, purging, assembling) I decided it was time to brew. I started with the pressurized portafilter and some preground coffee. It came out quick but looked good. I tasted a little of it and was impressed considering it was only ground for drip coffee.

The second shot I used some fresh ground 8 o'clock coffee in the skerton (on 1 notch). I decided to use this run to set the programmed size to my double shot glass since I don't have an espresso cup yet. It made a nice looking espresso but was light on the cream. It was pretty wet after being but I think that was due to not having enough coffee.

I tried again with the 8 o'clock, filled the portafilter this time and lightly tamped, then pulled another double. I wanted to try a cappuccino so I steamed some milk and poured both in my cup. I may have had to much milk and a little light on froth but it tasted very good for my first one.

Cleaned it quick and organized my setup while enjoying my cappuccino. I think this will be a very nice setup to get started in espresso. Thanks for the advice, I will upload some pics here as well!

$IMG_20150127_205310594.jpg$IMG_20150127_200517797.jpg$IMG_20150127_195056050.jpg$IMG_20150127_192448322.jpg

Last edited:
Used the last of my coffee from Madcap coffee this morning (Kiaria) for a cappuccino. Instructions said to tramp lightly even with the pressurized portafilter. I must have ramped to much since it choked at first and I didn't change the grind setting from last night. I started it again after it was not working and tried again. It started flowing and looked pretty good, was a bit thinner flow than what I saw before.

I had better results with the frothed milk today. Also frothed a second cup for the Mrs... She was very happy with her Chai tea latte! So far this is working out well, I feel like I understand how the machine works and that seems to be half the battle

Saeco Aromas are awesome and only slightly over your budget. We have one in our home and love the little bugger!

Edit: Sorry. Didn't realize you posted your newly acquired machine. Nice set-up Enjoy!

Last edited:
So I have been practicing with the pressurized portafilter and decided to try the real deal tonight. Swapped out the basket, filled it up, tamped and brewed. Got a very nice looking espresso (with crema) and it came out evenly in about 30 seconds I think. It was a little bitter but had good flavor, didn't have to add anything to it to be drinkable. I'm starting to understand the machine and the proper way to use it. Frothed some 1% & half/half later with a single shot since I ground a little more than needed for the double before that. It was a nice after dinner cappuccino, I had more foam with the froth but it was not micro foam. Still tasted good though

Top Bottom