What's new

Ted Pella GEM blades

are these the same as the ones sold in stores like Walgreens?

proxy.php

Single Edge, Carbon Steel Gem® Blades

single edge, carbon steel blade
Best quality 3 facet blade, single edge, aluminum back. Individually protected, 2 boxes of 100 each.
Length: 38.9mm (1.53")
Cutting Edge Length: 38.8mm (1.527")
Width: 19.6mm (0.77")
Thickness: .229mm (.009")

Carbon Steel Gem® Blades, box/200 $16.25

they look like a good deal:huh:

how do they compare to the Pal Blue blade?

proxy.php

Single edge, blued carbon steel, 3 faceted Pal® blade with aluminum back, individully protected. Box of 100.
Length: 39.6mm (1.56")
Width: 19.3mm (0.76")
Thickness: .23mm (.009")

Last edited:
I just ordered the 200 pack of the GEM blades!
icon10.gif

I hate to say it, but I fear you will regret that decision. The blades sold at Wal-Greens under the Gem name are stainless steel, and coated. The blades you bought are carbon steel (which tends to rust quickly), and uncoated, which likely means you are in for a rougher shave.

The blades you wanted were product number 121-3:

Single Edge, PTFE-Coated Blades

Cuts through epoxies nicely. Stainless steel single edge, 3 facet, PTFE-coated stainless steel Gem® blades. Individually protected, 2 boxes of 100 each.
Length: 39.6mm (1.56")
Width: 19.6mm (0.77")
Thickness: .229mm (.009")

Treet makes a single edge blade that fits all Gem razors. Oddly enough , Treet is owned by Personna, (maker of the Gem blade), but I have found it to be smoother.

I hate to say it, but I fear you will regret that decision. The blades sold at Wal-Greens under the Gem name are stainless steel, and coated. The blades you bought are carbon steel (which tends to rust quickly), and uncoated, which likely means you are in for a rougher shave.

The blades you wanted were product number 121-3:

oh darn.. :(

I thought you might find this helpful. This is from Clark at Shavemyface.com. dcrosso

Guys, I can only speak from my own experience concerning stainless steel vs carbon steel SE blades. I'm 60 years old and my beard has become grey/white and quite stiff, especially on my chin and mustache area. When I was DE shaving, even Feathers pulled and tugged in those areas. Shaving those areas was painful because my razor wanted to skip through them. Invariably, I would nick myself because of this. I switched to SE shaving using Gem stainless blades, but still experienced my razor dragging through my whiskers, especially on my chin and under my nose. I went back to DE shaving and decided to put up with the uncomfortable shaves I was getting. About two months ago, I took up SE shaving again, but using Treet carbon steel blades this time. A fresh Treet blade cuts those problem whiskers with little resistance. Nicks are a thing of the past and my Ever Ready 1912 keeps my face BBS. Perhaps the carbon steel blades dull quicker. I can get a week's shave from one Treet blade, but probably should change the blade sooner, before the tugging returns. I don't store my Treet blades in a wet razor. I rinse the blade and blow the water droplets from it. I only put the blade into a dry razor. So far, rust isn't a problem for me.

SE blade choice is a matter of personal preference, just like DE blade choice. Right now, I prefer the Treet blades over the Gem stainless from Walgreens. I've not tried the Gems from Ted Pella though. Some guys say they're the same as the ones from Walgreens. Others swear they're different.

Of course, these are just my thoughts and opinions. You should use whatever works best for you.

I love the treet blades as well, the shave is just as smooth (to my face) but they only last me about 3 shaves instead of 5 shaves with the coated blades from Walgreens.

200 blades at 3 shaves a blade is still almost a 2 year supply - very nice!

so no way of getting a decent shave from these? what are they for? can I strop them? :bored:

We really don't know yet. You'll have to try them when they arrive. There are several of us who do just fine with some brands of carbon steel blades. I use Blue Star carbon steel blades without problems. I haven't tried the ones you've ordered, so don't give up yet.

If you PM me a mailing address, I can send you a couple of coated stainless blades so you can try them for comparison.

- Chris

We really don't know yet. You'll have to try them when they arrive. There are several of us who do just fine with some brands of carbon steel blades. I use Blue Star carbon steel blades without problems. I haven't tried the ones you've ordered, so don't give up yet.

If you PM me a mailing address, I can send you a couple of coated stainless blades so you can try them for comparison.

- Chris
thank you so much!:w00t:
pm sent.:w00t:

Top Bottom