What's new

Technique Question

I've been into wet shaving for about 6 months now and my technique is solid now. Question: if you're going 2 or 3 passes, is it better to go with one long stroke or multiple overlapping short strokes? Let's say I'm shaving WTG on my cheek -- should I go from top down to jawline in one stroke, or in like a half dozen overlapping mini strokes? I started off with the former approach 6 months ago then switched to the latter approach after much research. I see most people on Youtube just doing one stroke ...

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Shorter strokes are safer: they take the wrist out of the stroke. If you do long strokes you need to alter your wrist position to keep the same razor angle. There are people who do it successfully, but I can't really think of any advantages - you don't save usable time - and it makes weepers easier to produce.

I would give a ‘politician’s‘ answer! For me, it depends on the particular area:
1. For much of my face I use the ‘long stroke‘ method. That is in areas that are relatively flat, such as my cheeks.
2. I also use my tongue and ‘bull-frogging’ to stretch my skin to maximize the areas where I can use long strokes.
3. In areas where my face has multiple curves, such as my chin, then I use short strokes.

Hope this helps!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I’ve been DE shaving since ‘10. I tried to do the two pass shave for years. Now, it’s 1 pass, short strokes with some blade “buffing”. Since you’re new to this. A lot of beards around. Some People still like a clean shaven face. YMMV

I've been into wet shaving for about 6 months now and my technique is solid now. Question: if you're going 2 or 3 passes, is it better to go with one long stroke or multiple overlapping short strokes? Let's say I'm shaving WTG on my cheek -- should I go from top down to jawline in one stroke, or in like a half dozen overlapping mini strokes? I started off with the former approach 6 months ago then switched to the latter approach after much research. I see most people on Youtube just doing one stroke ...
I mostly use the same method as @BigJ
I advise you to experiment and use what is best for you, as they said in the comments... you have to see what works for you and how your skin responds, over time you will improve the technique and you will get better and better

6 months now and my technique is solid now
I doubt, both the technique and the foam
Yes Yes Smile GIF by Tennis TV

I do both, depending on the razor, what angle the razor needs, how aggressive the razor is, what part of my face I'm on, etc -

The key is this: Don't think about it too much. And don't try to copy folks on YouTube. That's a recipe for disaster. Just get used to a razor and all these details will come naturally.

I agree. Whatever is working, continue.

What type of razor and blade do you use? DE, SE, cartridge? How often do you shave?

What is the reason for your questions?
Are you concerned about weepers and nicking yourself? If so:

1. Make sure you have a good pre-shave routine.
2. Make sure to use a good slick soap, gel, oil, cream (whatever you like) to aid in helping your razor blade glide on your skin.

You probably already know this.

Welcome to wet shaving. You got this.

Am a one pass shaver. I use short strokes with lots of blade buffing. I rinse a lot to keep a wet blade. I am a daily shaver who only uses SE. I am a face and head shaver. I use a gel. I just bought oil. Curious on how that will work.

Keep doing what you’re doing.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B and wet shaving. Your mileage may vary as we say around here, but I use shorter strokes as this gives me more control to adjust when I need to. It also helps in maintaining the blade’s edge. At least for me.

This is one of those “am I doing it right?” kind of posts. I’m pleased to see that most of the responders gave the correct answer, that there is no right or wrong way to shave.

Cartridge razors make the long sweeping strokes easier to do because they will pivot automatically to follow the surface. Shorter strokes work better IME with standard DEs; your wrist can remain locked and there's fewer missed places where the shave is not as close. Also, consider that "the grain" of the whiskers does not necessarily follow straight lines.

Top Bottom